Sounds like CNET is not too impressed:
    BlackBerry DTEK50 review - CNET

Not that I expected much different...but this time they seemed particularly harsh on every security and/or value added aspect of what BlackBerry brings to Android. It seems to CNET the added features you are paying for have no value. I guess that makes sense when you are looking to prove a conclusion you have already made before you even write the review: that the device is too expensive. :P

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    Bbnivende and glamrlama like this.
    08-17-16 02:47 PM
    Some media outlets hate BlackBerry so much that if Apple for S&G put a BlackBerry logo on the iphone 7 they would tear it apart as the worst phone ever made.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    Gallofa likes this.
    08-17-16 03:27 PM
    Different tune, same old song. At what point do some people stop blaming "the media" for BlackBerry's shortcomings?
    cribble2k, TGR1 and app_Developer like this.
    08-17-16 03:48 PM
    dtek50 actually a good phone but they are trying to fool the readers to make blackberry always bad
    08-17-16 04:08 PM
    I don't think they a deliberately making Blackberry look bad, that was self inflected long ago and now it's all about rebuilding the once iconic brand image they where famous for.

Being in the auto industry my entire career, I can tell you from experience that's not an easy thing to do and takes a lot of time, money and resources to make it happen.

The reality is would Blackberry risk the money and resources needed to take on that big task and that's up to the folks on the board of directors that make those decisions.
    jope28 likes this.
    08-17-16 04:23 PM
    CNET places almost no value in specific value-add features. It's simply a spec game for them. They are entirely predictable, day in and day out.
    08-17-16 04:35 PM
    Different tune, same old song. At what point do some people stop blaming "the media" for BlackBerry's shortcomings?
    I'm not blaming anybody for anything. I am always quick to criticize BlackBerry for their screw ups. But many websites really do despise the company and it shows in every single piece they write.

For as much as I love Ars Technica, I still cringe whenever they post a BlackBerry article. It's almost always ugly.

08-17-16 04:38 PM
    I think BlackBerry has a huge Hill to climb, it's going to take time & money. Already Mr Chen has said that BlackBerry is a software company & Cell phones is a secondary business, so in some people's eyes the BlackBerry Cell phone side is dead, regardless of what type of cell phone or quality of phone is released, question is Mr Chen how much time and money are you prepared to spend.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-16 04:40 PM
    I'm not blaming anybody for anything. I am always quick to criticize BlackBerry for their screw ups. But many websites really do despise the company and it shows in every single piece they write.

For as much as I love Ars Technica, I still cringe whenever they post a BlackBerry article. It's almost always ugly.

Despise? LOL! Why would any news site/ blog despise BlackBerry? Please explain.
    08-17-16 04:42 PM
    Why is it cnet fault? Read a bit, this phone is too expensive for what you get. On android specs matter, it's a distinctive factor. For 350 you can get a oneplus 3 that blows this dtek50 out of the water. Consensus review- nice try BBRY but no one cares.

Even Blaze on the podcast couldn't get fully behind this phone, is just mediocre on this segment.
    CranksterBB10 and jope28 like this.
    08-17-16 05:00 PM
    Once again, this phone isn't aimed at average consumers. So I don't know why people are trying to look at this phone as an option to upgrade. Wait for Argon and Mercury which will be aimed more towards average consumers.

Posted via CB10
    PantherBlitz and conite like this.
    08-17-16 05:12 PM
    Why is it cnet fault? Read a bit, this phone is too expensive for what you get. On android specs matter, it's a distinctive factor. For 350 you can get a oneplus 3 that blows this dtek50 out of the water. Consensus review- nice try BBRY but no one cares.

Even Blaze on the podcast couldn't get fully behind this phone, is just mediocre on this segment.
    There you go. The CNET, no value add, pure spec mentality.

The DTEK50 is a $200 phone with $100 of BlackBerry extras. No one, including BlackBerry, would deny that.
    Last edited by conite; 08-17-16 at 05:57 PM.
    08-17-16 05:12 PM
    A few of the swipes at the DTEK50 in the CNET review seem to indicate somewhat of a bias:

"An Android phone with a BlackBerry logo"
    "The BlackBerry Idol"
    Both obviously intended to discredit any improvements BlackBerry has claimed to make to Android. Good to get that out in the open straight away, we wouldn't want any confusion over these outrageous security claims would we?

"There's nothing explicitly wrong with the BlackBerry DTEK50, because there's nothing wrong with the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 4"
    But he still managed to find things he didn't like about the hardware. Go figure.

"BlackBerry has actually made some useful tweaks to the Android operating system...But I wouldn't buy a phone for those things"
    Who needs useful? ROTFL.

"But the features that make the DTEK50 so "secure" all seem to either be placebos or functions already found on stock Android devices"
    Like DTEK, secure boot,and proprietary encryption?

"And while it's nice that BlackBerry protects your phone's boot-up process from being tampered with, it's a feature already available in Android as well -- one that will be required by default in phones running Android Nougat, the next version of the operating system."
    Hmmm...so its already available on a version of Android's OS that no-one actually has yet. Which kind of makes BlackBerry ahead of its time. Don't say that too loud CNET because you ended with

"...there's just no good reason to buy a BlackBerry"
    Last edited by kputock; 08-17-16 at 09:00 PM.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    08-17-16 08:02 PM
    Despise? LOL! Why would any news site/ blog despise BlackBerry? Please explain.
    For the same reason trolls with no interest in BlackBerry come on to a BlackBerry fan site to unduly criticise them.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-16 08:42 PM
    That review article is just spewing with ignorance. He's literally comparing an S7 with a midrange phone. He seriously doesn't know what to say about the phone, so he rated it 3/5 which isn't that bad really.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-16 09:33 PM
    Whether the device is good or not, there are still people who want to see the final death of Blackberry.

Maybe because it is a Canadian company, maybe because they don't like more than 2 choices, who knows.
    they are out there...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-17-16 11:28 PM
    I expect DTEK50 doing the same selling figures of PRIV.

The Android gimmick IMHO will come to an end.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 03:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    Well, they just need to make one dollar of profit off it and it will still have exceeded all BB10 phones combined.

08-18-16 05:07 AM
    For the same reason trolls with no interest in BlackBerry come on to a BlackBerry fan site to unduly criticise them.

Posted via CB10
    unduly..... ? Pretty sure that most of the criticism that BlackBerry gets these days has been well earned. Some here just don't want to hear it, and too bad that in 2007 when I first came here that BlackBerry didn't listen to some of the criticisms that were being discussed back then. Like the need to move to a more modern OS.....

The CNET article... is coming from the point of view of a consumer. From that point of view the DTEK50 probably isn't a good value at that price point and with those specs. And I agree it's clear he didn't spend any time with the phone or bother reading anything about it. Of course normally BlackBerry would send out units for reviews, with some info.... pretty sure BlackBerry didn't bother doing that with the DTEK50.

Whole reason BlackBerry has "said" that their focus is on offering an END-TO-END solution for their enterprise and goverment customers.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    08-18-16 10:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    If it does.... so will the hardware division.

I really don't know if enterprise will buy what BlackBerry is selling. The fact that the DTEK50 isn't available via Carrier's is a big negative in the US market, where buying via corporate carrier accounts is still what many enterprise customer do. If US Carrier's move to end subsidies for corporate purchases... that would really help BlackBerry, and give those customers more motivation to buy from non-Carrier sources. But I have not heard of any such move taking place yet.
    08-18-16 10:30 AM
    Sounds like CNET is not too impressed:
    BlackBerry DTEK50 review - CNET

Not that I expected much different...but this time they seemed particularly harsh on every security and/or value added aspect of what BlackBerry brings to Android. It seems to CNET the added features you are paying for have no value. I guess that makes sense when you are looking to prove a conclusion you have already made before you even write the review: that the device is too expensive. :P

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    A large part of this is that BlackBerry set this table years ago, and now no matter what they do it going to get very ugly very fast.
    08-18-16 11:35 AM
    BB10 Os BlackBerries are the best. I dont care about that BB mutated android crap phone.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 11:41 AM
    One thread on the matter is enough, thanks!

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ssing-1083220/
    08-18-16 11:54 AM