If you're one of the 2 million plus people on the waitlist for Cloudflare's freemium, mobile VPN service, WARP, it is now available.

For those who aren't familiar, this is a pretty big deal for consumer privacy and security.

Here's the announcement:
    https://blog.cloudflare.com/announcing-warp-plus/

I hear lots of people on these boards claiming that consumers don't care about privacy and security. But Cloudflare's free 1.1.1.1 encrypted DNS service has been a huge success, and more than 2 million people signed up for the waitlist for their mobile VPN, Warp+.

There are many VPNs out there, but this one has some special advantages for Android and iOS users, in my opinion:

1) Simple to use free mobile app
    2) Very reputable company committed to building a private, secure Internet.
    3) Designed to handle frequent switching between cellular and WiFi services (Many VPNs slow or stop completely on mobile in the real world.)
    4) Designed to be battery-friendly
    5) Offers the fastest DNS service available, and ensures your carrier can't see the services you use or sites you visit.
    6) Encrypts all DNS traffic (TLS or HTTPS)

This is not a service designed to compete with many of the great VPNs out there. It's designed to make mobile more private and secure for the hundreds of millions of people who don't use a VPN.

And, if you're not currently using an alternate DNS (preferably one with encryption) you're sharing all your Internet connections with your carrier or ISP, and getting slower performance as well. 1.1.1.1, without the VPN, is a huge upgrade in every way in that case.

Please note the following quote:

"
    What WARP Is Not

From a technical perspective, WARP is a VPN. But it is designed for a very different audience than a traditional VPN. WARP is not designed to allow you to access geo-restricted content when you’re traveling. It will not hide your IP address from the websites you visit. If you’re looking for that kind of high-security protection then a traditional VPN or a service like Tor are likely better choices for you.

WARP, instead, is built for the average consumer. It’s built to ensure that your data is secured while it’s in transit. So the networks between you and the applications you’re using can’t spy on you. It will help protect you from people sniffing your data while you’re at a local coffee shop. It will also help ensure that your ISP isn’t hoovering up data on your browsing patterns to sell to advertisers."

Again, there are many services available, so I'm not suggesting anyone should switch, but if you're not using a VPN on your phone and/or not changing your default DNS server, give 1.1.1.1 and Warp/Warp+ a try!
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 09-26-19 at 09:17 AM.
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    09-26-19 08:25 AM
    I been using it since yesterday and having some issues. It seems to kill off notifications for a lot of my apps, also effects downloads from the Google Play Store in the fact my apps won't download unless I disconnect. Not to say that will be the case for everyone, but that's what I've noticed thus far.
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    09-26-19 04:53 PM
    I been using it since yesterday and having some issues. It seems to kill off notifications for a lot of my apps, also effects downloads from the Google Play Store in the fact my apps won't download unless I disconnect. Not to say that will be the case for everyone, but that's what I've noticed thus far.
    It has a great bug report feature right on the home page. I would definitely report the bugs as you experience them. I know they are troubleshooting in close to real time because mobile connections are so dynamic. They've said that they get very different experiences based on location.

Are you using it in combination with a traditional VPN? If so, I would turn that off just to see if it makes a difference.

Typically services should see your IP address, so it's wierd that they would reject connections just because it's routed through Cloudflare's network. Dropped packets are possible, as Cloudflare is using UPD instead of TCP. In any case, I'm not qualified to actually troubleshoot your issue!!

If it doesn't improve within a few days, that would be worth hearing about. Good luck!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-26-19 07:00 PM
    Are you using it in combination with a traditional VPN?
    Nah. Just been using 1.1.1.1 since release and enabled Warp yesterday. Def. going to file some reports and see what they say. It's a peculiar issue for sure.
    09-26-19 07:16 PM
    Nah. Just been using 1.1.1.1 since release and enabled Warp yesterday. Def. going to file some reports and see what they say. It's a peculiar issue for sure.
    Good luck. The Blog post stated pretty clearly that users could expect issues like that:

"There Will Be Bugs

While WARP is a lot better than it was when we first announced it, we know there are still bugs. The most common bug we’re seeing these days is when WARP is significantly slower than using the mobile Internet without WARP. This is usually due to traffic being misrouted. For instance, we discovered a network in Turkey earlier this week that was being routed to London rather than our local Turkish facility. Once we’re aware of these routing issues we can typically fix them quickly.

Other common bugs involved captive portals — the pages where you have to enter information, for instance, when connecting to a hotel WiFI. We’ve fixed a lot of them but we haven’t had WARP users connecting to every hotel WiFi yet, so there will inevitably still be some that are broken."

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-26-19 07:49 PM
    Good luck. The Blog post stated pretty clearly that users could expect issues like that:

"There Will Be Bugs
    Oh yeah, not complaining. I know it's new and beta-ish. Just saying.
    09-26-19 07:50 PM
    Oh yeah, not complaining. I know it's new and beta-ish. Just saying.
    just got an update last night/this morning.
    09-27-19 08:37 AM