So I got to reading some crap about the Galaxy Nexus 4 that Google just announced. I was killing time. So reading the comments a lot of people were praising the fact it didn't have an SD card. They were all excited about Google's Cloud services...

But why? How could storing all you PERSONAL data on a server and streaming it over the internet be safer and less costly than an SD card. Yes I see the advantages of having it almost everywhere at anyplace. But that is ONLY if there is coverage.

What would happen to my 3200 pictures, 2400 songs and 1 terabyte of anime in non coverage zones, or on a plane, or in jamaica. How could I listen to music in my friends basement who doesn't have wifi? Cloud storage for media doesn't make sense to me.

BlackBerry 10 better not drift towards Cloud stuff...
    10-30-12 07:02 AM
    I can assure you it will work in jamaic
    10-30-12 07:05 AM
    You have 1 terabyte of expandable memory? That seems dubious.

The most expanded memory I've had in a phone is 16Gb. I used about 200mb of it.

A combination of cloud services have proven acceptable for me so far. iCloud, Dropbox, Evernote etc. certainly makes a restore easy and tether free.

Sent from my 4s
    10-30-12 07:08 AM
    I would not want a single option for storage. They each have their benefits and I would want both.
    I would back up music to a cloud, but I would back up personal data to an SD card and a hard drive. If the incident with the iPhone showed anything, it showed that proper authentication and redundancies are the safest ways to go.
    10-30-12 07:12 AM
    I would not want a single option for storage. They each have their benefits and I would want both.
    I would back up music to a cloud, but I would back up personal data to an SD card and a hard drive. If the incident with the iPhone showed anything, it showed that proper authentication and redundancies are the safest ways to go.
    All of this + my 500 mb of usage woundnt last long. Heck my 120GB of home usage wouldn't last long. SD card all the way.
    10-30-12 07:18 AM
    Nexus 4 is running the fastest phone SoC in the world, has one of the best mobile screens ever made, looks great, have excellent build quality and is running Android 4.2, the latest and the best from Google.

All this for $349 off contract.

At that price, you don't get to complain about the lack of MicroSD card storage. Afterall, people survived just fine with the 16GB PlayBook.
    Roo Zilla, andyahs and mikeo007 like this.
    10-30-12 07:27 AM
    Nexus 4 is running the fastest phone SoC in the world, has one of the best mobile screens ever made, looks great, have excellent build quality and is running Android 4.2, the latest and the best from Google.

At that price, you don't get to complain about the lack of MicroSD card storage. Afterall, people survived just fine with the 16GB PlayBook.
    I'd disagree....while it has impressive specs, I would not rely only on cloud storage. Having a single point of failure for anything allows for increased risk.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    10-30-12 09:32 AM
    If I had to choose, I'd definitely pick SD cards. It's far more data and battery efficient, more secure, holds all the music and video I currently need (using a 32GB card), and I don't take many photos or videos at all.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-30-12 09:55 AM

I'm spoiled from using Bridge to connect to my phone SD card. And 16GB isn't enough for a lot of people me included. Basically its the minimum for a tablet really but a phone idk could be enough but I don't see a syncing product that I would like to be stuck using all the time. This is where I'm hoping BB10 gives us something better.
    10-30-12 09:59 AM
    I'd only do cloud storage with certain things for certain providers. Songs and Media I don't care about security so whoever is fine for things like that. Contacts, Calendar, etc I wouldn't just put out anywhere, or trust to Google for that matter because of the data mining they do on everything. I'd like the options to be there, but I'd want them to be highly customizable, and not something like take a picture automagically push to everywhere.
    Rooster99, Toodeurep and kbz1960 like this.
    10-30-12 09:59 AM
    I use cloud storage for my total music collection, but at any given time I only keep a portion of it on my phone. I like being able to change what's on my phone without having to be at home to do it. I don't really want to have to depend on streaming for all playback purposes, though.

I use Google Docs, and I like the way I can see and reply to comments from collaborators, and make edits, in Android. It all works seamlessly. This kind of thing can be very good for productivity, and RIM really should offer something comparable, with better security. RIM should be a leader in this functionality. If people don't want to use it, that's fine, but it really needs to be there. I don't know what WP8 will offer along these lines, but I'll be surprised if they don't have something similar, via SkyDrive.

Cloud storage isn't just about storage. It's about access, and that matters a lot when you have teams working on shared files. There's no way that this won't be an increasingly important feature in work-related mobile computing.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-30-12 10:37 AM
    It's funny all these people riling against cloud storage. It is the future like it or not.

Sent from my 4s
    esk369 likes this.
    10-30-12 10:40 AM
    It's funny all these people riling against cloud storage. It is the future like it or not.

Sent from my 4s
    It doesn't have to be, we don't have to conform, supply and demand.
    Rooster99 and Toodeurep like this.
    10-30-12 10:53 AM
    I prefer having my stuff physically on my stuff. For pictures and music who cares as long as I don't get forced into streaming everything.

I can see their plan now, just like with pay per view, get everyone moved to the cloud then after they are use to it start charging up the rear for it. Pay per view wouldn't be around if in the early days people would've just said no. If that happened you'd still be watching pay per view stuff for free. But no too many people had to pay to watch whatever and hand them their money to do it.
    sam_b77 and Toodeurep like this.
    10-30-12 10:58 AM
    It doesn't have to be, we don't have to conform, supply and demand.
    Devices will eventually ship with no expandable storage and minimal internal storage. It's just the way it is. You certainly don't have to conform but your options will be severely limited.

Sent from my 4s
    Unbiased Tech likes this.
    10-30-12 11:04 AM
    I wonder where the liberal green freaks stand on this whole cloud business?
    Don't people realise that with nearly 3 billion people generating more data than garbage, the cloud services need huge server farms which are a huge draw on power which ultimately leads to global warming. The "enviornmentalists" are silent about this while they tell me to walk more and drive less to save the planet. Add to that all these internet based businesses claim to be environment friendly....
    Just for this I will sit in my car with the engine ON one hour everyday and pump out huge amounts of CO2....stop me from driving ...stop the "cloud" first....

Edit: Link showing I'm not one of those Tin Foil Hat people...
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/te...agewanted=all&
    10-30-12 11:07 AM
    Devices will eventually ship with no expandable storage and minimal internal storage. It's just the way it is. You certainly don't have to conform but your options will be severely limited.

Sent from my 4s
    I think you're wrong, just look how successful the Chrome Books are. Not much.

Plus with applications taking more and more space you still need local storage.
    10-30-12 11:08 AM

Sent from my 4s
    This is exactly what leads me to believe at some point there will be a monthly fee to access your cloud. They get you hooked, then they pull the line and real you in. I hope I'm wrong.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    10-30-12 11:09 AM
    I wonder where the liberal green freaks stand on this whole cloud business?
    Don't people realise that with nearly 3 billion people generating more data than garbage, the cloud services need huge server farms which are a huge draw on power which ultimately leads to global warming. The "enviornmentalists" are silent about this while they tell me to walk more and drive less to save the planet. Add to that all these internet based businesses claim to be environment friendly....
    Just for this I will sit in my car with the engine ON one hour everyday and pump out huge amounts of CO2....stop me from driving ...stop the "cloud" first....
    You do realize that's a ridiculous argument? I hope you're merely being facetious. If you have data to back up this claim I would love to see it.

Sent from my 4s
    Unbiased Tech likes this.
    There is of course, the option to NOT use cloud storage.... For example, on iPhone, you don't have to use iCloud, it's just an option. Why complain about an option? If you don't like cloud storage..... don't use it, but what's the point really about complaining about it being an available option on a device.
    There is of course, the option to NOT use cloud storage.... For example, on iPhone, you don't have to use iCloud, it's just an option. Why complain about an option? If you don't like cloud storage..... don't use it, but what's the point really about complaining about it being an available option on a device.
    Except iCloud is more of an iSync, it's not pure cloud as Dropbox for example.
    10-30-12 11:11 AM
    This is exactly what leads me to believe at some point there will be a monthly fee to access your cloud. They get you hooked, then they pull the line and real you in. I hope I'm wrong.
    There already are monthly fees for most services, at the moment they're optional for additional storage.

Even Microsoft want to move to a purely cloud business model. A dumb terminal with all data, operating system et cetera stored in the cloud.

It's eventually going to happen however there will remain limited options for people to choose not to. I would estimate that within 10 years pretty much everything will be cloud based.

Sent from my 4s
    10-30-12 11:12 AM
    @Xander,
    Just edited my post and added a link....I knew people would be calling me out to be nuts...
    10-30-12 11:13 AM
    Except iCloud is more of an iSync, it's not pure cloud as Dropbox for example.
    Sort of, it also stores all of your data so that you can restore your phone without needing a computer. And also a lot of iOS applications use iCloud to store their data.

Sent from my 4s
    10-30-12 11:13 AM
    There already are monthly fees for most services, at the moment they're optional for additional storage.

Even Microsoft want to move to a purely cloud business model. A dumb terminal with all data, operating system et cetera stored in the cloud.

It's eventually going to happen however there will remain limited options for people to choose not to. I would estimate that within 10 years pretty much everything will be cloud based.

Sent from my 4s
    Imposibile, we'd all have to get unlimited data from carriers and that would exclude low and mid end users. Maybe in 100 years but not 10.
    10-30-12 11:14 AM
86 123 ...