Please excuse my basic question! I've moved from an old curve 8310 to the 9700 and now the Bold 9650. I got used to hitting options then exit/close to actually close the program.

Is this still needed for battery and memory purposes or on the newer devices am I good just hitting the red hang up key or esc key to exit out. Will doing it this way kill my battery or put a noticeable speed bump in performance?

Thanks!
    11-19-10 11:52 PM
    Its still the same way as usually and some apps you need to actually exit cause those apps that have exit/close usually means that closing just hides it and then exiting...well, that's obvious.

Thnx, Tripster

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-10 12:30 AM
    Yeah I assume, now correct me if I'm wrong, that this is probably for the multitasking so you can pick up where you left off if you just hit the red end button.

But yes multiple items open can slow performance but not too bad unless it's a lot of them or very large apps. Now I've noticed I can leave my opera mini open and it has little to no effect on battery and performance speed.
    11-20-10 02:00 AM
    Yeah I assume, now correct me if I'm wrong, that this is probably for the multitasking so you can pick up where you left off if you just hit the red end button.

But yes multiple items open can slow performance but not too bad unless it's a lot of them or very large apps. Now I've noticed I can leave my opera mini open and it has little to no effect on battery and performance speed.
    I noticed that a couple of months ago after I had it open for an entire day at work, but I think it might have something to do with the connection (socket vs HTTP, socket doesn't continually connect). @suertetres: just as Evan says, using the red End button only "minimizes" an app. Pressing the Escape (Back) key will close most apps, but there's a few that require using Close from menu. Performance-wise depends on the OS and version - on my device currently I can have multiple apps open, but if one or two, particularly the browser, are connecting to the 'net then my device slows to a crawl until the app using it is done with its task.
    11-20-10 02:49 PM
    You can just hold the escape key to exit most applications.
    11-20-10 03:40 PM
    It depends on the app. I leave some apps open for quick access like KaGlom, but its not doing anything when its not the active task. Things like map programs, BB Traffic and stuff that uses the GPS can affect the battery life when running in the background so I try to close those when I don't need them. The worst battery drainer I've seen is the Citrix Receiver app. It's great to be able to remote in to work from my phone in a pinch, but you can almost watch the battery meter go down.

If you need it, let it run but monitor the hit on resources. If you don't need it, close it. It's just more baggage for the OS to handle.
    11-20-10 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD