I was one of the software developers that built the BB10 Clock App. You all found the backdoor and unlocked all of its goodies, but do you know the story behind it? I wrote it up here ... enjoy!

https://epeterso2.com/2018/01/30/clock-work/

-eP
    04-09-18 03:15 PM
    As a Piper High grad, your team always had a special place in my heart. Thanks for the background story!
    04-09-18 08:12 PM
    I was one of the software developers that built the BB10 Clock App. You all found the backdoor and unlocked all of its goodies, but do you know the story behind it? I wrote it up here ... enjoy!

-eP
    A very interesting read. Thanks for sharing.
    With which OS version was the backdoor closed?

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    Digital_Islandboy likes this.
    04-09-18 09:24 PM
    wow.... thanks for sharing and the great work. Your kind are a rare spiece on these forums, while PKB info maybe proprietary but i would love to hear or relate with a similar story concerning the keyboard from an engineer like you. how we're those babies made, how come they are unmatched even upto today.
    04-10-18 03:09 AM
    With which OS version was the backdoor closed?
    I don't remember the build numbers, but the PD clock was in the released 10.2.0 build and removed by the time the final release of 10.2.1 came out.
    04-10-18 05:14 AM
    wow.... thanks for sharing and the great work. Your kind are a rare spiece on these forums, while PKB info maybe proprietary but i would love to hear or relate with a similar story concerning the keyboard from an engineer like you. how we're those babies made, how come they are unmatched even upto today.
    I can't tell you anything about the keyboard - that feature was made by an entirely different team than mine.
    04-10-18 05:15 AM
    I can't tell you anything about the keyboard - that feature was made by an entirely different team than mine.
    What other apps did your team work on?
    04-10-18 06:18 AM
    What other apps did your team work on?
    We developed the Clock and Weather apps from scratch, and we took over maintenance of the Compass and Calculator apps that had been developed in other parts of BB. (No, there aren't any hidden features in those apps.) Plus, we worked on the Android version of Docs To Go (which never got released as standalone product), fixing bugs and adding features (like Good Dynamics support).
    conite likes this.
    04-10-18 08:50 AM
    We developed the Clock and Weather apps from scratch, and we took over maintenance of the Compass and Calculator apps that had been developed in other parts of BB. (No, there aren't any hidden features in those apps.) Plus, we worked on the Android version of Docs To Go (which never got released as standalone product), fixing bugs and adding features (like Good Dynamics support).
    May I ask how big the team was? People always seem to underestimate development expenses, and it may prove informative.
    04-10-18 08:59 AM

-eP
    Cool to hear some insider info....

I remember how we all here on CrackBerry jumped at the chance for the PD Clock... for the short while it was accessible.
    bunky1971 likes this.
    04-10-18 09:20 AM
    Thanks for sharing your time on the app. It is always good to read others experiences with different companies writing code.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-18 09:20 AM
    many thanks for the good story. Enjoy PD clock very much and paid specific attention to the photo ;-). good color scheme, cleaver software design that made the app stand out from other boring clocks still out there. Very sad when the OS update closed backdoor (try very hard to revert back to the old OS without any success... ). Well done OP. (conite, if you get hold of PD clock backdoor, you might be able to count the number of the team member - I believe including few bean counters ;-).
    04-10-18 10:14 AM
    conite - not sure the photo is the correct one... OP might be able to confirm... https://berryme.de/porsche-design-uh...achts-moeglich
    04-10-18 10:44 AM
    Here's the team photo embedded in the app ... I'm sure it's the right one because I'm the one who took the photo and the one who put it there

The people in this photo were working at my site in Florida on various applications. But about 1/4 of our team missed the photo, and it also doesn't include the OS developers, test team, project managers, and more that were at my site. Plus there were a LOT more people across North America and around the world working on BB10. So counting the people in this photo won't tell you much.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-10-18 12:07 PM
    This is too cool. I remember when we found the CB icon in the clock, all of our heads nearly exploded. Thanks for sharing this story. Awesome to see what was going down on the other side while we were busy finding cool **** to write about :P
    04-10-18 12:18 PM
    This is too cool. I remember when we found the CB icon in the clock, all of our heads nearly exploded. Thanks for sharing this story. Awesome to see what was going down on the other side while we were busy finding cool **** to write about :P
    Exploding heads = MISSION: ACCOMPLISHED
    04-10-18 12:39 PM
    Another thank you for sharing.

Cool to hear some insider info....

I remember how we all here on CrackBerry jumped at the chance for the PD Clock... for the short while it was accessible.
    It's still accessible for us Z10 owners. One of the great features I'll miss when I finally migrate to BlackDroid.....sniff.....

Pete
    AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    ePeterso2 likes this.
    04-10-18 02:18 PM
    @ePeterso2, how about making a CrackBerry clock for GooBerry?
    jafobabe likes this.
    04-10-18 10:13 PM
    Op, Thank you for sharing! I still use my P'9983 as my second phone (it demanded it's own SIIM). I have been with BB Phones since the 9800. I know, late to the party but I got here as soon as I could!
    04-10-18 10:25 PM
    @ePeterso2, how about making a CrackBerry clock for GooBerry?
    That would be some kind of Awesomeness!
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-10-18 10:27 PM
    Here's the team photo embedded in the app ... I'm sure it's the right one because I'm the one who took the photo and the one who put it there

https://i1.wp.com/epeterso2.com/wp-c...risebb10-1.jpg

The people in this photo were working at my site in Florida on various applications. But about 1/4 of our team missed the photo, and it also doesn't include the OS developers, test team, project managers, and more that were at my site. Plus there were a LOT more people across North America and around the world working on BB10. So counting the people in this photo won't tell you much.
    And this team was just for the few apps you were working on or is it multiple teams?
    04-11-18 07:34 AM

-eP
    Really the best clock app, well thought. I came to appreciate it during travel. Obvious but not until you find yourself in a different country that you find the world clock a savior...used the feature alot.

And i take this opportunity to thank you and your team and all other teams too not to be picky but great thanks to the team who made the music/radio app.... audiobooks, podcasts, music and radio...the feeling that an app was custom made for you is the best user experience with features like resume where you left off even after closing the app and several device restarts is a great feature for audiobook listeners that is underlooked by other media stock apps from other eco systems. Thank you.
    Last edited by katxeus; 04-11-18 at 09:43 AM.
    ePeterso2 likes this.
    04-11-18 09:25 AM
    And this team was just for the few apps you were working on or is it multiple teams?
    The team in the photo was just for the few apps we were working on (plus a few others).

The vast, Vast, VAST number of other developers, testers, and managers working on the apps, OS, electrical, mechanical, UI, SDK, and other elements would utterly fail to fit within the frame of that photo (unless the were all very, very far away, of course).
    04-11-18 09:47 AM
    The team in the photo was just for the few apps we were working on (plus a few others).

The vast, Vast, VAST number of other developers, testers, and managers working on the apps, OS, electrical, mechanical, UI, SDK, and other elements would utterly fail to fit within the frame of that photo (unless the were all very, very far away, of course).
    Good to know, particularly from the perspective Conite mentioned for CB. There have been many unresolved discussions on how many people and the costs of developing and maintaining apps and BB10.
    04-11-18 10:21 AM

-eP
    I only now opened and read the link. Thanks for the insight and real life perspectives.
    ePeterso2 likes this.
    11-28-18 02:25 PM
42 12