I’ve read all your threads on how pushy sales reps who don’t really know what they are selling are insisting you purchase an Android device. They completely bash BlackBerry no matter what your “hierarchy of needs” are. This is something I don’t agree with. When a customer comes into my store no matter what device they are looking for “which is mostly iPhone” I always ask them what their usage will be like. Even if a BlackBerry would be perfect for them they will always lean towards apple. It makes you think that clearly Google & Apple are doing something right. It is also ironic to me that apple has TERRIBLE carrier relations.
    IMHO Apple’s iPad & iPhone sales are purely due to their brilliant marketing and due to the fact that it is the current trend. Carriers are getting fed up of Apple’s “bully” attitude. When a manufacturer is able to make decisions for the vendor the way apple is there is something wrong. It disgusts me when a client walks into the store and says id like an iPhone 4S please. I ask the client what he will be using the phone for and he tells me emails & social networks but mostly business. I refer him to BlackBerry and what is the client’s response? RIM is going bankrupt and they are . What’s in the client’s hands? A Curve 8310… Need I say more?
    RIM need to work on keeping the customers they have. This topic was brought up many times before but a CMO is needed and badly. This negative sentiment has gotten to an extreme. I’m not sure how it works elsewhere but here in Canada we have something called QMD’s. QMD’s are quick messaging devices such as the Samsung Corby Pro & all Android running smartphones. Sales associates get paid extra commission on top of their standard upgrade / activation commission just for selling a QMD device. We are explicitly told NOT and I repeat NOT to sell BlackBerry or iPhone unless the client absolutely demands it. And again this is something that I find ridiculous. RIM has focused for many years towards carrier relations. I don’t see that… All of Rogers promotions are tiered towards Android devices. Why? Because someone is paying Rogers to make sure android is their #1 Priority. Am i the only one who is seeing this or am I just crazy?

Please share your comments and opinions!

#rantoff
    04-06-12 08:59 PM
    You are spot on with your post..... One thing in sales is you sell what is hot.... Right now it is Apple and Android... but as we have a cyclical market that will change... How, who knows.....

If you look at the smartphone market now... from an inovation standpoint there is a lul... Apple is recycling the same OS and slightly upgraded hardware.... Android is so fragmented and Google releasing endless OS versions with many suppliers not doing OS upgraded at all... Nothing new to hold the interest of the comsumer... Just look at the suri backlash with many Apple users......This will come back to bite both companies....

The one thing if RIM can impliment in BB10 should be cascades by TAT.... People love eye candy and somthing different... Cascades might just provide it.... It will make the BB10 stand out....

As for the carriers... well.... as the days of unlimited data especially in LTE is gone.... People wil be paying through the nose for their consumption devices... The carriers will actually start having Apple and Google over the barrel eventually as they will start to dictate service plans to offset their investment in the LTE network...... This is something Apple and Google cannot do much about.....

Many US carriers have learned a valuable lession from how Apple has treated them.... Remember the old saying "what goes around, come around".....

Over the last couple of years RIM had bit the big one in marketing in media and with carriers.... If they become aggression and produce a good product that stands out and push it at the carriers they stand a chance.... Remember.... All the Media ads you do only give you name recognition.... it is the carriers and stores that will determine who wins and this is where the tide will turn in the carriers favor and who knows maybe RIM's.....
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 04-06-12 at 10:11 PM.
    04-06-12 10:09 PM
    alot of times sales people are either totally misinformed and or uneducated with the products they are suppost to know about and help people make informed decisions, pretty sad if you ask me...the best sales people ive ever met know everything about all the products on the market they deal with and help a client select the best item for their needs based on their need. with that being said, i do also know they are paid commission and bonuses to push certain products over others...so the lesson to be learned is to do some research on what u wanna buy and dont rely totally on some part timer to tell you what you should buy
    04-06-12 10:16 PM
    I dont see what better place for a new marketing campaign to start then the Olympics..
    04-06-12 10:17 PM
    I dont see what better place for a new marketing campaign to start then the Olympics..

Apparently the s3 will be launched 22nd may... In London and the Olympics will be a major way to advertise
    04-06-12 10:32 PM
    Spiffs. Google and Microsoft are either known to be using these or suspected to be. Apple does not and to the best of my knowledge neither does RIM. So there can be considerable incentive for the salesperson to direct a soft sale towards one of the above (not that it seems to be helping WP7 much).

IMHO Apple’s iPad & iPhone sales are purely due to their brilliant marketing and due to the fact that it is the current trend.
    They are:

1) making an enormous amount of money over the past almost 5 years (asymco chart of quarterly revenue since 2007)
    2) garnering very high satisfaction numbers
    3) getting high numbers of new users
    4) retaining very high number of old users

It is doubtful their success is purely on marketing.

Carriers are getting fed up of Apple’s “bully” attitude. When a manufacturer is able to make decisions for the vendor the way apple is there is something wrong.
    I cannot disagree more. I realize I am speaking against your employer but I would much rather rely on Apple to take care of my updates and schedules than the carriers (North America, here). I have already had that unhappy experience of abandonment with my Android and don't want anymore of it. I much prefer how Apple treats my smartphone the way computers have been rather than the way carriers have historically treated cell phones. Fortunately Microsoft is also going this way.

Of course the carriers don't like ceding control. They had it all their way until Apple came by and they can get away with it because each is an island unto itself, especially in the US. Even in Canada you can sort of choose between the big three because at least they are all GSM (still the power players though). Even now they are still stupid powerful with every other phone vendor. Why do you think RIM is struggling so much? They dominated Verizon's smartphone offerings (>90%) until Google made Verizon an offer they truly couldn't refuse and poor RIM was dropped like yesterday's underwear. The marketing clout of the US carriers is enormous in dictating which phones will sell and RIM gets only a small share of attention from either AT&T or Verizon.

Carriers may dislike Apple and the iPhone's subsidy but the phones are a major draw and all are the valuable post-paid kind. Those plans are not cheap; the carriers get their revenge in their own ways (pricey plans, no pre-paid, until now no unlocking ever). As long as it is in their interests, each of the players will go along.

It disgusts me when a client walks into the store and says id like an iPhone 4S please. I ask the client what he will be using the phone for and he tells me emails & social networks but mostly business. I refer him to BlackBerry and what is the client’s response? RIM is going bankrupt and they are . What’s in the client’s hands? A Curve 8310… Need I say more?
    Why does it disgust you?

P.S. I am surprised at the support for the carriers in some of the posts. Or is it more anti-Apple sentiment?
    Last edited by TGR1; 04-06-12 at 10:53 PM.
    04-06-12 10:48 PM
    I’ve read all your threads on how pushy sales reps who don’t really know what they are selling are insisting you purchase an Android device. They completely bash BlackBerry no matter what your “hierarchy of needs” are. This is something I don’t agree with. When a customer comes into my store no matter what device they are looking for “which is mostly iPhone” I always ask them what their usage will be like. Even if a BlackBerry would be perfect for them they will always lean towards apple. It makes you think that clearly Google & Apple are doing something right. It is also ironic to me that apple has TERRIBLE carrier relations.
    IMHO Apple’s iPad & iPhone sales are purely due to their brilliant marketing and due to the fact that it is the current trend. Carriers are getting fed up of Apple’s “bully” attitude. When a manufacturer is able to make decisions for the vendor the way apple is there is something wrong. It disgusts me when a client walks into the store and says id like an iPhone 4S please. I ask the client what he will be using the phone for and he tells me emails & social networks but mostly business. I refer him to BlackBerry and what is the client’s response? RIM is going bankrupt and they are . What’s in the client’s hands? A Curve 8310… Need I say more?
    RIM need to work on keeping the customers they have. This topic was brought up many times before but a CMO is needed and badly. This negative sentiment has gotten to an extreme. I’m not sure how it works elsewhere but here in Canada we have something called QMD’s. QMD’s are quick messaging devices such as the Samsung Corby Pro & all Android running smartphones. Sales associates get paid extra commission on top of their standard upgrade / activation commission just for selling a QMD device. We are explicitly told NOT and I repeat NOT to sell BlackBerry or iPhone unless the client absolutely demands it. And again this is something that I find ridiculous. RIM has focused for many years towards carrier relations. I don’t see that… All of Rogers promotions are tiered towards Android devices. Why? Because someone is paying Rogers to make sure android is their #1 Priority. Am i the only one who is seeing this or am I just crazy?

Please share your comments and opinions!

#rantoff
    So you're saying apples/sales are due to nothing else but marketing. I would love to see you or whoever else think its about marketing try and convince a customer to purchase the torch 9860 over the iPhone/high end android device. (no disrespect to torch users)...You need to wake up and smell the smelling sauce...Im sure there are some really intelligent people that work for RIMM: If all they need to do is market than I'm pretty sure that would have been done by now. The truth is android/iOS offer a great deal of high quality work/leisure apps...up until last week I carried both the bold 9930 and the iPhone 4s...I love the bold to death. No problems with battery life, much improved browser, not to mention the sleek design...I'm back to using my iPhone full time due to the high quality productivity apps that are available to me.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    04-06-12 10:52 PM
    One thing RIM could do if they want to see marketing in action is to have a mystery shopper visit a apple store. The sales people are knowledgeable in their product line and you can actually play with a real live connected device. Compare that to the carrier stores and first let me say that I realize they have more than one lineup of devices to be familiar with so that is harder than if you've just one and by one I mean iOS. The carriers need to give their employees training on all devices and give them a different personal phone every month so they can play with it and demo them to the customers. The carriers need to also put several live phones on display so the customers can play with it and see what it does. you give a pickup truck load of bolds or whatever live and up I guarantee you I'll sell every one of them parked in front of a carrier store. You got to know and be able to explain and interact with customers and in the process you find out what their needs are and feel according to that. I learned that a long time ago back when I was in sales. The way the carrier stores have it set up and not having a working knowledge of what your selling makes it tough.
    04-08-12 05:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD