I would like to move from android to blackberry. But it all depends on how well the blackberry handles the sync back to google calendar, contacts and gmail.

I am assuming the "google sync" application syncs well any/all changes made from a computer to the blackberry.

My concern is how well does the sync work from blackberry to google.

I want to be able to handle 100's of emails on my blackberry....and have those changes be made in google.

I want to be able to move emails on my blackberry to: archive, or any labels i have setup

Will the google sync make these changes within google?

Thanks

p.s. The only thing keeping me on android at this point is the seamless integration of google calendar, contacts and gmail.....if blackberry handles this well (blackberry to google) then i will be buying a blackberry bold 9930
    07-23-11 01:23 PM
    BlackBerry devices are optimized to work with Microsoft Outlook as their PIM. They can be made to work with Google Sync, but it isn't seamless in my experience. For example, if I delete contacts on my PC, the next time Google Sync runs, it restores the deleted contacts. I don't sync the calendar, so I don't know how that works. GMail works fine.
    07-23-11 02:15 PM
    I have never had a problem with Google Sync, and I use it for both my calendar and my contacts. The sync seems quite seemless from my use, and it fits my needs perfectly.

The Google Sync app is free, runs in the background, small footprint on the memory and I would recommend it to just about anyone.
    damule6666 likes this.
    07-23-11 04:15 PM
    i wonder if my torch can actually pull all my email from my google account.
    07-23-11 06:13 PM
    i wonder if my torch can actually pull all my email from my google account.
    I don't know any reason why it would not, but your question is off-topic in this thread.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-11 06:29 PM
    When it comes to folders and labels on gmail its only a click or two on more on blackberry than on android phones.

On Android you just click on the checkbox and menu pops up where you can change folder/label.

While on blackberry you have to highlight the email then press menu then scroll to folders then click then scroll to the of folder/label then click and its done.

07-23-11 06:34 PM
    Never used google sync I just set my gmail account to the device and that was it. Calendar synced, email synced, address book synced, everything synced. Without google sync.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    07-23-11 06:38 PM
    Never used google sync I just set my gmail account to the device and that was it. Calendar synced, email synced, address book synced, everything synced. Without google sync.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    You are lucky.. Mine did not on my 9650. Installed google sync and BAM like butter, mail, contacts and calendar all synced right up..
    07-23-11 07:05 PM
    When it comes to folders and labels on gmail its only a click or two on more on blackberry than on android phones.

On Android you just click on the checkbox and menu pops up where you can change folder/label.

While on blackberry you have to highlight the email then press menu then scroll to folders then click then scroll to the of folder/label then click and its done.

I cant find the "folder" option in the menu how did you get it there
    07-23-11 11:51 PM
    Gmail works Fine with my BlackBerry 9780... fast and no problems with it.
    07-24-11 07:48 AM
    The level of integration between gmail and the BlackBerry is a bit less than you are used to with an Android device. BlackBerrys are designed to work best in a enterprise environment using Microsoft Exchange and BES. You can do many but not all of the same things using Gmail, but you'll need to adjust to some quirks.

Reconciliation of deleted and read/unread status from the device to the server works well and quickly. Replied/forwarded status doesn't reconcile at all. Messages deleted on the Gmail server (and I mean deleted, not merely archived) will eventually be removed from the device, but at times it takes hours. Messages read in the web interface remain unread on the device.

Contacts and calendar items sync, but I found that managing duplicates was a problem. Tasks don't sync with Gmail as they do with Exchange. If you are in an organization, free/busy information from colleagues calendars, needed for setting up meetings, is not visible on the BlackBerry using Gmail but is using Exchange/BES. This is a major weakness on other mobile platforms even using Exchange, and is one of the main reasons I stay with Blackberry.

Asma consumer platform, Gmail and Blackberry work together well enough. For professional use it is limited. The price is right, though.
    07-24-11 03:55 PM
    I came from Android and will tell you Blackberry is not going to work as well with Google services. My current gripe is if I get an email(s) while in front of my computer and I read it on the computer, it will not show as read on the Blackberry. You will still have "new" emails in your inbox.

Calendar will not sync as quickly. I will make changes to my Google calendar and at times have to wait nearly 10 minutes before I see a change on my Blackberry. I have actually opened my Galaxy Tab and Blackberry and made a change on my computer to say calendar or email and the Android is instant, the Blackberry takes a lot of time or doesn't change at all (email).

So far the Blackberry makes me double my email work by having to redundantly delete my emails or show them as read. Don't expect your emails to come through as graphically complete as Androids does either.

If you use different calendars within your same Gmail calendar address you can forget that with Blackberry, you will only have access to your default calendar.

I bought this Blackberry a month ago because I love the form factor for a phone but have been getting a bit concerned about the limitations since I am a Google apps user.
    07-24-11 06:10 PM
    So far the Blackberry makes me double my email work by having to redundantly delete my emails or show them as read. Don't expect your emails to come through as graphically complete as Androids does either..
    When in the messages folder or gmail inbox highlight the top date bar press menu and select mark prior read or delete prior or on OS6 just click the trackpad and hold it down for the option to appear.

To delete many emails in one go, in messages folder hold caps button down and scroll on the trackpad to select as many emails as you want to delete.

It really just takes a few seconds of your time. I think it sort of assumes you'll get your emails on your blackberry first as sync from device to gmail is instant for deleted, read and new calendars.

07-25-11 08:40 AM
    I've no problem with my Gmail account and syncing of e-mail, contacts and calendar. Switched from the Google Sync app to BIS syncing when it became available a year or so ago and haven't looked back.
    Google apps is not 2 way sync when set up over BIS, like gmail, Isn't it though?

07-26-11 12:58 AM
    Google apps is not 2 way sync when set up over BIS, like gmail, Isn't it though?

Yes it is.

07-26-11 03:06 AM
    I have several calendars on my main Gmail account and they all sync without issues.

Emails can be marked with stars, archived, marked as spam, and you can work with your labels. As other have said, full 2-way email sync is not yet available.

Contacts are synched without big issues.

My experience with Google Sync on my 8320 (OS 4.x) and 9700 (OS 5 and 6) has been great.

07-26-11 03:23 AM
    I have several calendars on my main Gmail account and they all sync without issues.

Emails can be marked with stars, archived, marked as spam, and you can work with your labels. As other have said, full 2-way email sync is not yet available.

Contacts are synched without big issues.

My experience with Google Sync on my 8320 (OS 4.x) and 9700 (OS 5 and 6) has been great.

It is full 2 way sync, it might take up to 6 hours for deleted or read emails to sync to blackberry.
    If you send an email from PC it will sync to blackberry very fast for some reason.
    Anyway, it is 2 way sync.

07-26-11 03:33 AM
    Yeah, it is 2-way sync. It is particularly fast with contacts and calendar. E-mails will delete within minutes from Gmail on my desktop, if I refresh Gmail on my desktop. I've never really bothered to take notice of whether e-mails deleted on a desktop actually delete from my BB. I'll have to pay attention to that today.
    I left it overnight once out of curiosity and it deleted but I always look at them on my blackberry first.

07-26-11 07:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD