Its too late for bb10. A decision like this is surely about a year in the making. So even after bb10 launch it will be a long time for these companies that switched to iphone and android to be able to switch back. Such a shame with bb10 around the corner
    Not only that, but they have to have their employees WANT to switch back. And that's not going to happen.
    balding1 likes this.
    11-02-12 08:22 PM
    Betya it was the engineer who was rigging the construction contracts on the take from the mob who made this decision. LoL

Da grease, spread da grease.
    11-02-12 08:50 PM
    Without hijacking this thread, it is their wish, especially when they elect a pro-separatist provincial party.
    Where is their any logic in your comment?
    American agencies are dropping RIM is that because they elected a certain party?
    Since your a leafs fan, guess I know where your logic comes from
    reeneebob likes this.
    11-02-12 08:52 PM
    [QUOTE=Dapper37;7709089]
    Cool. Rational discussion. No one has attacked Montreal.

Yet.

Yet here you come to encourage someone along, like always.
    LOL.

You need some encouragement? That victim complex does get heavy. Plus, I heard you disavowed this forum of "losers."

Relax. No one is attacking you or RIM. I am not conspiring with Montreal. In actually wondering if RIM got a fair... never mind...

LOL
    mikeo007 likes this.
    11-02-12 09:19 PM
    It's a bit more complicated than that. What does Quebec Provincial politics have to do with the City of Montreal's decision to switch to iphones?
    Where is their any logic in your comment?
    American agencies are dropping RIM is that because they elected a certain party?
    Since your a leafs fan, guess I know where your logic comes from
    Ummm......can't speak for the OP, but I think he was referring to his comment that Quebec should leave Canada, not anything to do with RIM or phones; thus the "hijack" the thread preface.

Paraphrasing, the sequence was:

OP was responding to an earlier joke with "Quebec should leave Canada'
    Then somebody said "unbelievable you would say that"
    Then he said "it is their wish they elected separatist party".
    leafs123 likes this.
    11-02-12 09:31 PM
    Ummm......can't speak for the OP
    True
    11-02-12 09:33 PM
    Don't discount city budgeting. I'm sure when they roll it out .. it won't be that kind of savings
    Exactly, the way the bb's compress data and the way the iphones use it, they will find their users going over and their bills just as inflated if not more! No savings here! Foolish!
    11-02-12 10:28 PM
    I don't know what Apple's sales pitch is but businesses conclude that switching to iphones will save them money.

This is happening more and more. And there is also the potential users longing for the "dream" device they will get to use for free.

One wonders what RIM is doing about this.
    11-02-12 11:22 PM
    It's a bit more complicated than that. What does Quebec Provincial politics have to do with the City of Montreal's decision to switch to iphones?
    It all makes sense now
    City of Montreal leaving Blackberry for iPhone-imageuploadedbytapatalk1351917709.608445.jpg
    lanemaster12 likes this.
    11-02-12 11:43 PM
    But then who will get custody of New Brunswick?
    Send them to Newfoundland -- they'll get along great lol.
    sputneek likes this.
    11-03-12 02:15 AM
    Da grease, spread da grease.
    Somewhere.. there is a poutine joke here.
    bungaboy and pantlesspenguin like this.
    11-03-12 02:18 AM
    We'll alternate weekends, Quebec can have it for a couple of weeks in the summer.
    But does NB want to live with Quebec? Shouldn't they get a vote?

& as for Montreal switching to iPhone, I guess that means Mafia Don Vito Rizzuto is an Apple fan.....People were wondering what the first thing the Telphon Don would do when he got out of US Jail.....now we know :P
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-03-12 02:34 AM
    Where in my comment did I say that separatism is related to the City of Montreal switching to iphones? It was a response to someone saying that my comment was unbelievable. Read the messages.
    11-03-12 04:10 AM
    Ummm......can't speak for the OP, but I think he was referring to his comment that Quebec should leave Canada, not anything to do with RIM or phones; thus the "hijack" the thread preface.

Paraphrasing, the sequence was:

OP was responding to an earlier joke with "Quebec should leave Canada'
    Then somebody said "unbelievable you would say that"
    Then he said "it is their wish they elected separatist party".
    Thank you, my point exactly!
    11-03-12 04:16 AM
    Straw that broke RIMs back?Yet another Final nail in the coffin? Psychological blow? Quelle dommage? Further signs of the separatist movement? Changing for poutine-related apps (I couldn't argue it if thats the reason)? News worthy only cause its RIM? Part of being in business? Sad employees who wont get BB10? Apple undercutting with lower margins? Apple really is a better deal? Who knows. But I can see this all over the news and the average person will be well aware of this. Hopefully it drives the stock price down. This list of agencies leaving RIM keeps on growing, just like their subscriber numbers.
    bungaboy and Bobcat665 like this.
    11-03-12 04:49 AM
    This is weird timing.BB10 comes out soon and after all that wait now they are switching. Let's hope the rest of Canada is more patriotic and support its own.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    11-03-12 06:57 AM
    Don't forget most of these municipal/government corporate phone plans have a yearly upgrade and likely their upgrades kick in now. I think this is more of a timing issue where the Iphone 4S is cheap for their upgrade thus the cost savings. On Bell Mobility(most likely the carrier they use) for example the Iphone 4S 16 Gb is $0 for their upgrades while the Bold 9900 is $49. I'm just speculating of course, but the spin that this particular news item articulates is just par for the course.
    11-03-12 07:55 AM
    I think people are looking into this a little too deep. You have to ask yourself (fanboy patriotism aside) that if you were a company that is looking at upgrading to newer and updated devices are you going to look at what is out right now or are you going to wait on an OS that has a vague release date. The contracts at my job are 2 year contracts and we (middle management) have the choice of BYOD or take the iphone 4 that is company issued. Our previous phones were 9650's and when the time came to upgrade which was 2 months ago nobody wanted a blackberry. The reason was simple; we needed to be able to use apps that would increase our productivity and BB does not offer the quality business apps that the other OS's have. We can't consider BB10 because it is not out yet and we can't tell the CEO that the reason we have not upgraded is because we are waiting on RIM to stop playing roulette with the release date
    11-03-12 08:17 AM
    Fanboism aside blackberry phones with os7 are more than just capable to do the work. There is no need to switch to ios and i am sure that rim would be more than willing to give them deal on bb7 phones if they asked. anyways, i think that this timing is questionable.
    11-03-12 08:34 AM
    Google translation of newspaper article.

Montreal left to turn Canada's Research In Motion, manufacturer of BlackBerry smartphones in favor of Apple and its famous iPhone.

The decision follows the renewal by the City of its service agreement for voice and data services to its 5,911 mobile devices. This agreement expired on May 31, was renewed in August an agreement with the OTC Shared Services Centre in Quebec.

Telus and Bell, who shared the contract since 2008, have been replaced by Rogers. Bell remains registered as a secondary supplier when technological barriers block migration. The City estimates it will save $ 1.83 million per year.

The Department of Information Technology of the City took advantage of this migration to impose another, or the passage of BlackBerry to iPhone.

"The STI has evaluated different scenarios in terms of mobility solutions compatible with our Lotus Notes environment," it was explained to employees in an internal memo. "The management of STI announces that it will withdraw the BlackBerry platform mobile solutions of the City (except for SPVM). This decision is motivated by economic concerns rationalization and technological change, and takes into account the many comments and requests from users. "

The STI has retained iPhone 4S Black (16 GB), which will be provided at a cost of $ 50 each by Rogers, in return for a commitment of three years. Unlock BlackBerry latest to allow them to use the Rogers network would cost $ 55 per unit, according to the same statement.

The City provides 1122 smartphones to its employees, excluding 321 SPVM.

$ 7.1 million

Total expenditure estimated by the City for its mobile service contracts over the next three years.
    11-03-12 09:14 AM
    This is weird timing.BB10 comes out soon and after all that wait now they are switching. Let's hope the rest of Canada is more patriotic and support its own.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    its not like they were waiting per say, it takes a long time to research and write up the paperwork, pass it thru the various departments and get their OK. It took 6 months to switch from BB only and move to iOS devices at my work. BB is still an option but most have opted for iOS devices. Im sure it took quite a while for the "city" to do the same.
    Moonbase0ne, mikeo007 and balding1 like this.
    11-03-12 10:29 AM
    its not like they were waiting per say, it takes a long time to research and write up the paperwork, pass it thru the various departments and get their OK. It took 6 months to switch from BB only and move to iOS devices at my work. BB is still an option but most have opted for iOS devices. Im sure it took quite a while for the "city" to do the same.
    Exactly. Where I work, it takes month of research and planning for something like this. Its not like we will simply switch to a new phone/OS a couple of months after its released. And with BB10 still not having a concrete release date, I'm guess more companies are choosing to look at the options that are available right now, instead of what maybe coming in the next few months.
    11-03-12 10:41 AM
    I think Leafs123's point is that Montreal is in Quebec, which wants to secede from the rest of Canada. So, they don't have the same allegiance to Canadian companies that cities in other provinces might have.

On another (unrelated) note, the iPhone is simple to use. There's almost no learning curve. That makes it ideal for those who can't be bothered hoe to use a smartphone or don't have the time and patience. That makes it possibly a better choice for city employees, right now. Along with the fact that few (if any) would have much they need to keep secure.

So, we have 1122 phones in a city that's part of a separatist province that wants nothing to do with the rest of Canada, anyway. Compared to what? 80,000,000 BBs worldwide. Good luck, Montreal.
    11-03-12 10:44 AM
    Without hijacking this thread, it is their wish, especially when they elect a pro-separatist provincial party.
    Remember - they only elected a minority government that is pro-separatist. Therefore, I don't think you can say that the majority want to separate.

Montreal will be wishing they waited for BB10 once it comes out
    balding1 likes this.
    11-03-12 11:02 AM
    Send them to Newfoundland -- they'll get along great lol.
    Leave our island alone lol.
    11-03-12 02:22 PM
58 123