Now Montreal!

The City has just announced that they will switch their 1120 Blackberry devices for iPhone 4s.

Here is the article such as reported by the business newspaper "Les Affaires" (in French):
    La Ville de Montr�al passe � l'iPhone - archives - LesAffaires.com
    richardat likes this.
    11-02-12 10:01 AM
    Sadly this is RIM's fault.

Lets be fair other than those of us who are in or follow the smartphone market, most don't know what's coming down the pipe from RIM
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    11-02-12 10:12 AM
    Its too late for bb10. A decision like this is surely about a year in the making. So even after bb10 launch it will be a long time for these companies that switched to iphone and android to be able to switch back. Such a shame with bb10 around the corner
    11-02-12 10:15 AM
    As a BB user, I'm sad. As a Montrealer, I'm happy. This is apparently going to save $1.8 million per year. How? I don't know. That amounts to $1600 in savings per phone, per year. What are they currently paying for monthly contracts, $200?

It's important to note that they've probably been running BB's on OS 4.x. My wife just recently had her ultra-old Curve upgraded to a 9900, and she's in the private sector. So one can only imagine what the government is stuck with.

Let's also remember that RIM charges fees for every BlackBerry in use. So carriers have less incentive to push them, and can offer cheaper deals on non-BB phones and plans.
    11-02-12 10:21 AM
    As a BB user, I'm sad. As a Montrealer, I'm happy. This is apparently going to save $1.8 million per year. How? I don't know. That amounts to $1600 in savings per phone, per year. What are they currently paying for monthly contracts, $200?

It's important to note that they've probably been running BB's on OS 4.x. My wife just recently had her ultra-old Curve upgraded to a 9900, and she's in the private sector. So one can only imagine what the government is stuck with.

Let's also remember that RIM charges fees for every BlackBerry in use. So carriers have less incentive to push them, and can offer cheaper deals on non-BB phones and plans.
    They say they provide services for 5911 mobile devices, 1122 of them smartphones. I presume the remainder are things like regular phones, tablets, or even wireless service pucks/sticks/dongles for laptops. I presume the newer contract is offering better rates for service.
    11-02-12 10:27 AM
    I think RIM audience is going to shift. Yeah business used blackberries in the past but I think more common people will buy blackberry's for their own use. After a while I don't think people are going to want their work phone in their private lives. Like blackberry balance I think its going to serve individuals that there should be a time and place where work is needed, and home is needed. I am a college student and work. I find that now my emails are flowing with stuff from school and work and its getting annoying and I hope that blackberry balance will help solve that problem. But back to jobs switching to other platforms I don't think andriod and IOS is going to have that organization feel like the blackberry has cause they push more into specs than into work. but who knows.
    11-02-12 10:27 AM
    Cool. Rational discussion. No one has attacked Montreal.

Yet.

On a serious note, is that money saved real money, or just talk? Do the numbers add up?
    richardat likes this.
    11-02-12 11:08 AM
    Lolz..... ^^

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    bobisonline likes this.
    11-02-12 11:11 AM

Yet.

On a serious note, is that money saved real money, or just talk? Do the numbers add up?
    Maybe RIM wouldn't bribe the bureaucrat in the IT department? Maybe the Tremblay inquiry can look into this....
    aminrajabi and bungaboy like this.
    11-02-12 11:59 AM

Don't discount city budgeting. I'm sure when they roll it out .. it won't be that kind of savings
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-02-12 12:28 PM
    City of Montreal leaving Blackberry for iPhone-popcorn.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-02-12 12:39 PM

Yet.

I was about...Quebec should leave Canada.
    richardat likes this.
    11-02-12 12:54 PM
    But then who will get custody of New Brunswick?
    richardat likes this.
    11-02-12 12:58 PM
    But then who will get custody of New Brunswick?
    We'll alternate weekends, Quebec can have it for a couple of weeks in the summer.
    richardat likes this.
    11-02-12 12:59 PM
    it is what it is but it sucks they cannot wait longer for bb10. it is Canadian company after all. this is not like Montreal workers need to use instagram everyday

Sent from Blackberry 9810 with Crackberry forum app
    balding1 likes this.
    11-02-12 06:20 PM
    Shame on Montreal! Support your Canadian Company.
    bitek likes this.
    11-02-12 06:24 PM
    Montreal? Isn't the city owned by the mafia these days?
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    11-02-12 06:26 PM
    [QUOTE=trelawrence;7708382]Cool. Rational discussion. No one has attacked Montreal.

Yet.

Yet here you come to encourage someone along, like always.
    twstd.reality and balding1 like this.
    11-02-12 06:32 PM
    Just unbelievable you would make that comment.
    yasmar likes this.
    11-02-12 06:46 PM
    I think RIM audience is going to shift. Yeah business used blackberries in the past but I think more common people will buy blackberry's for their own use. After a while I don't think people are going to want their work phone in their private lives. Like blackberry balance I think its going to serve individuals that there should be a time and place where work is needed, and home is needed. I am a college student and work. I find that now my emails are flowing with stuff from school and work and its getting annoying and I hope that blackberry balance will help solve that problem. But back to jobs switching to other platforms I don't think andriod and IOS is going to have that organization feel like the blackberry has cause they push more into specs than into work. but who knows.
    if you use BES and your BES server is BES 10, you can get it. But if one of them is not fulfilled, then, you will not get blackberry balance. IMHO CMIIW

Sent from my BlackBerry 9020 using Tapatalk
    11-02-12 07:00 PM
    It's a remarkable coincidence that deficits rise whenever our governments work hard to save us money.
    11-02-12 07:11 PM
    Without hijacking this thread, it is their wish, especially when they elect a pro-separatist provincial party.
    11-02-12 07:39 PM
    Without hijacking this thread, it is their wish, especially when they elect a pro-separatist provincial party.
    11-02-12 07:40 PM
    It's a bit more complicated than that. What does Quebec Provincial politics have to do with the City of Montreal's decision to switch to iphones?
    Stewartj1 and balding1 like this.
    11-02-12 07:44 PM
    FYI for non Canadians.

The mayor and city hall in Montreal are currently at the centre of a huge bribery and corruption scandal. Hence the cynicism from the Canadians on this thread.
    OniBerry, Mi.key, bitek and 2 others like this.
    11-02-12 08:16 PM
58 123