Hi friends,

now the latest news to Cisco.
    This smells strange to me...

It doesn't matter how often BlackBerry keeps telling us that they are 'behind OS10'.

My personal opinion is that it's NOT(!): Facebook, WhatsApp or the others who get rid of OS10 - I think it's BlackBerry itself who is behind that!
    They wanna move away from OS10 as soon as possible and go fully Android.

They wanna make it as unusable as possible, until no one wants to use it anymore - then they will tell us:
    "Users didn't WANT to us it anymore and developers don't want to support it anymore - so the market has spoken and we have to discontinue it!"

As John Chen said in the BNN interview, we will see more BlackBerry devices - but they will be more like the Priv or DTek, not like the previous ones.
    And John Chen is not a really honest person when it comes to "whats next".

The deal with Indonesian partners and exiting the hardware business is not a decision that was made within a week - such things take months of planing!
    But they kept telling us that everything is alright, full support!

So I'm also sure that BlackBerry tells those guys to leave OS10 down.

That's just my personal opinion!

What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    rt2567 likes this.
    10-13-16 01:58 AM
    I think you're big on baseless conspiracy theories because you're angry, which is fine, but c'mon. BlackBerry doesn't need to tell any devs to pull their apps/support, enough are doing that anyway. A lot of the apps that filtered into BlackBerry World, especially the big named ones, were half-hearted efforts that were long ago abandoned.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 10-13-16 at 02:48 AM.
    10-13-16 02:17 AM
    Here's a thought-

Whatsapp can see client info and knows how many users log in from each available OS

Cisco can see client info and knows how many users log in from each available OS

Facebook can see client info and knows how many users log in from each available OS

These companies see that the number of users on BBOS and BB10 is so damn small relative to other platforms that they decide it's not worth their time, effort, and money to support those platforms. Thus they end support.

But nah, somehow it's better to blame the NSA, John Chen, aliens and the Illuminati.
    10-13-16 03:51 AM
    The only answer to this is to find a way to get the ART updated and rely on it for access to big-name apps.
    10-13-16 04:23 AM
    The only answer to this is to find a way to get the ART updated and rely on it for access to big-name apps.
    The reasons why the ART can never be updated have been discussed endlessly on CB. Even BB has stated it's not going to happen.

But, even if that particular unicorn did come home, I doubt it would help because the BB platform id would still be apparent to the server and Devs have previously stated that they don't like their Apps running on a platform they don't support because they often get negative feedback when it underperforms on BB10 due to screen sizes etc.

Welcome to the BB10 future predicted by several posters here. Nothing stops you using a BB10 phone forever... but the world it connects to moves on... and one day your BB10 phone is effectively useless.

Progress huh?
    Last edited by JeepBB; 10-13-16 at 04:53 AM.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    10-13-16 04:42 AM
    The reasons why the ART can never be updated have been discussed endlessly on CB. Even BB has stated it's not going to happen.

Never lose hope.

And always remember, BlackBerry is committed to BlackBerry 10.
    JeepBB and MC_A_DOT like this.
    10-13-16 04:55 AM
    BlackBerry never believed in its own product and mission.

The message we receive is the same that reaches developers .

What do you expect?

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    10-13-16 05:01 AM
    I think you're big on baseless conspiracy theories because you're angry, which is fine, but c'mon. BlackBerry doesn't need to tell any devs to pull their apps/support, enough are doing that anyway. A lot of the apps that filtered into BlackBerry World, especially the big named ones, were half-hearted efforts that were long ago abandoned.

Thanks for your reply!
    Yeah, as I wrote - that's just my opinion - not based on anything.
    And yeah, I'm frustated!

But I can't tell you how those devs are connected with BlackBerry and sometimes money could do something.
    And why isn't BlackBerry able to make those important apps run smoothly transformed from the .apk version?
    And ain't most apps from BlackBerry World imported Android ones?

Posted via CB10
    10-13-16 06:32 AM
    Thanks for all your replies!

But when did the last support come from BlackBerry?
    Updates?
    SDKs?
    Android-Runtime / "emulator"?

Nothing.

Additionally to that: OS10 devices are dead.
    With nothing concrete at the horizon there is no point for devs to work for this platform anymore.
    There won't be any new customers than the existing handful.
    And for those that are still there - BlackBerry won't do sh*t.
    NIAP certificate is all and the best they could do in over a year?

And this is also a unbiased opinion:
    I'm sure that they also delay the launch of 10.3.3 on purpose to bring the LAST minor update 10.3.4 as late as possible.
    Saves time and money and manpower over a long time!

Posted via CB10
    10-13-16 06:38 AM
    If they can't find a 'licensee' to produce BB 10 handsets I don't even see the point in NIAP certification for OS 10.

Might as well abandon it and let it die off just like they did OS 7.1.

'All chips are in' with 99cents a month 'Hub for Android'!
    10-13-16 06:44 AM
    If they can't find a 'licensee' to produce BB 10 handsets I don't even see the point in NIAP certification for OS 10.

'All chips are in' with 99cents a month 'Hub for Android'!
    At this point there isn't a point in those NIAP certifications. Other than that it's not over for BB10... to those that just want to belive and will buy up dead inventory. They dangled that over a year ago now... and still BB10 isn't NIAP certified. And now they are clearing out the last of the BB10 inventory.

Abandon BB10... internally they did that about 18 months ago. This 10.3.3 patch that they will eventually release... probable isn't too many additional man hours from the 10.3.3 versions that were showing up on the testing servers last summer.

Chips are all in the Enterprise and Government grade software solutions..
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-13-16 07:10 AM
    At this point there isn't a point in those NIAP certifications. Other than that it's not over for BB10... to those that just want to belive and will buy up dead inventory. They dangled that over a year ago now... and still BB10 isn't NIAP certified. And now they are clearing out the last of the BB10 inventory.

Abandon BB10... internally they did that about 18 months ago. This 10.3.3 patch that they will eventually release... probable isn't too many additional man hours from the 10.3.3 versions that were showing up on the testing servers last summer.

Chips are all in the Enterprise and Government grade software solutions..
    It's done and dusted from BB's end, but in theory another manufacturer could license it, make the handsets and develop/enhance their own version of the ART.

I'm still believing :P
    10-13-16 07:32 AM
    BlackBerry never believed in its own product and mission.

The message we receive is the same that reaches developers .

What do you expect?

Posted via CB10
    Exactly!
    10-13-16 07:36 AM

I'm pretty sure that *is* the plan.
    10-13-16 08:34 AM
    I'm pretty sure that *is* the plan.
    They are still supporting OS 7.1 'indefinitely' if I'm not mistaken.

JeepBB likes this.
    10-13-16 08:35 AM
    They are still supporting OS 7.1 'indefinitely' if I'm not mistaken.

IIRC BBOS was officially EOL'd a year or so back.

The difference for BB10 is that it's only unofficially EOL'd ... Though that difference doesn't seem to be noticeable in the levels of "support" being provided by BB to BB10.
    10-13-16 08:41 AM
    They wanna make it as unusable as possible, until no one wants to use it anymore - then they will tell us:
    "Users didn't WANT to us it anymore and developers don't want to support it anymore - so the market has spoken and we have to discontinue it!"
    The market spoke ~3 years ago.

But when did the last support come from BlackBerry?
    Updates?
    SDKs?
    Android-Runtime / "emulator"?

Nothing.
    Development of BB10 ended ~2 years ago.

BB10 is now in maintenance mode.
    That means there are a small number of engineers tasked with patching any security issues that may pop up.
    They are also tasked with fixing bugs, but only those that are deemed important and can be fixed with minimal risk of breaking something else.
    Finally there is the NIAP certification.
    This is how BlackBerry is demonstrating its commitment to its customers.

All this shocked outrage smells strange to me because each step has led to the next and it has been ~3 years in the making.
    JeepBB and app_Developer like this.
    10-13-16 09:07 AM
    I agree with the OP. Seems like Blackberry has been trying to phase out the consumer market for quite some time now.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-16 09:37 AM
    And why isn't BlackBerry able to make those important apps run smoothly transformed from the .apk version?

Posted via CB10
    I have worked in software for 35 years. What you're asking is "why can't a software emulator be perfect?".
    Well, Dude, it's just incredibly difficult! What's doubly difficult is that you have (typically) NO control over how the software that you are hosting is working. If the software you are hosting (e.g., Facebook) does ANYTHING that's not "standard", then your emulator can be completely hooped. And it may well be that you have no way to determine what the software is doing that's killing your emulator, because you don't have THEIR SOURCE CODE.

So, unfortunately, what sounds good in theory is actually extremely difficult in the real world.

Next question then is "why doesn't BB just go out and get a newer version of Android for BB10?". That has been discussed endlessly and the bottom line is that Google, who controls Android, isn't willing to do that. So, BB is screwed.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-13-16 11:19 AM
    Next question then is "why doesn't BB just go out and get a newer version of Android for BB10?". That has been discussed endlessly and the bottom line is that Google, who controls Android, isn't willing to do that. So, BB is screwed.
    BlackBerry is not doing anything with BB10, regardless of what Google allows. The ART is EOL just like the API, Blend, etc.are.
    10.3.3, NIAP, and 10.3.4 are just carrots being dangled to move the moldy inventory.
    JeepBB, Slash82 and StephanieMaks like this.
    10-13-16 11:34 AM
    But nah, somehow it's better to blame the NSA, John Chen, aliens and the Illuminati.
    Close. This is clearly the work of Sasquatch.
    DrBoomBotz and TCB on Z10 like this.
    10-13-16 01:46 PM

I think OP has a point. It was Chen who kept saying if we haven't got enough sales we will axe hardware division. It's basically they kept 'predicting ' what is going to happen. Like the negative thinking ppl drove themselves homeless, etc.

Posted via CB10
    Slash82 likes this.
    10-13-16 05:21 PM
    I think OP has a point. It was Chen who kept saying if we haven't got enough sales we will axe hardware division. It's basically they kept 'predicting ' what is going to happen. Like the negative thinking ppl drove themselves homeless, etc.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry is a publicly traded company. The finacials are there for anyone to see. He had to make those statements. Finacial analysts have been saying BlackBerry should get out of the hardware business for almost 24 months.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-13-16 05:56 PM
    Blackberry is a publicly traded company. The finacials are there for anyone to see. He had to make those statements. Finacial analysts have been saying BlackBerry should get out of the hardware business for almost 24 months.
    Yup... if anything, he did the exact opposite of what most CEO's would have done because he kept trying. His "we'll see what sticks" mentality actually shows that he was passionate about making hardware successful. Unfortunately they made all the wrong moves and now we are where we are.
    10-13-16 06:58 PM
    Yup... if anything, he did the exact opposite of what most CEO's would have done because he kept trying. His "we'll see what sticks" mentality actually shows that he was passionate about making hardware successful. Unfortunately they made all the wrong moves and now we are where we are.
    I fully disagree. Chen made great decisions on HW. When he started with the company BlackBerry had terrible contacts with their manufacturers. BlackBerry had cash, but a great deal of it was committed. The manufacturers bought the parts inventory, but if the parts were not used BlackBerry was fully responsible for the inventory. This is the reason BlackBerry had to get cash from Prem. Chen needed liquid cash.

Chen completely changed the way BlackBerry built phones and worked with manufacturers. But he was also stuck with a lot of old chips and parts he had to use to create phones.

Complain all you want about Chen but look at the difference in the books and BlackBerry's finacials now and 2013 and he has done wonders. Most analysts predicted BlackBerry would run out of cash in 2015. He changed the whole way Blackberry's backend business worked. Considering the mess he inherited, his results are amazing.
    JeepBB and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    10-13-16 09:11 PM
43 12