The first specs we look at when choosing a cellphone are the battery life numbers. We know that eventually we�re going to see performance loss, and [Dr. West] wanted to see if there�s a way to delay the*inevitable. What he found is that ambient temperature affects the battery throughout its life. He set out to build a phone chiller to slow the degradation of the battery.

The research that he points to shows that at room temperature, a Lithium battery will lose 20% of its capacity each year. This seems like a dubious number so do share links to studies that state otherwise in the comments. Whether that 20% is right or not, the point is that cooling the battery will preserve it. With that in mind, [Dr. West] put together a pod that uses a peltier cooler and a heat sink to host his Blackberry while he sleeps. He figures he can reduce the capacity lost per year from 20% down to 14%. This of course comes at the expense of running that cooler every night (in addition to charging the phone when it needs it). But perhaps this solution will spark an idea that leads to a better one.

Enjoy DelftEo
    11-29-11 09:22 PM
    What happens if the BB freezes to your ear?
    11-30-11 06:30 AM
    surely its far cheaper to just replace the battery when it starts to show signs of ageing.
    11-30-11 07:03 AM
    You don't want to carry that puppy in your pocket!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-11 07:46 AM
    Lol buy a waterproof case and stick your phone in a cup of ice every day. I'm sure that will work as well.
    11-30-11 07:59 AM
    and this helped me how? I need some reminding. I can get a battery for $20. I really don't need to tune the ac if needed.........
    11-30-11 08:05 AM
    LoL. My GrandMother used to do that with regular batteries back in the day.
    When I was little, she would put them in the freezer and we would get a bit more use out of them.
    If anything, I MAY try to put ONLY the battery on a chiller or within the freezer.
    I however, would never place my entire device on something like that.
    Ambient air contains moisture. Placing a device on a chiller like that would trap moisture within it. Then there is the probability of moisture condensation inside the device when it is removed and used in a normal heated environment. That can cause cross circuit switching and a destroyed screen with moisture accumulating behind it. Not good.

Anyone who has ever been to a local bar can tell you. Take a glass, and chill it. Place it in a normal heated environment and beads of sweat (condensation) start to drip down the sides of the glass. I wouldn't do it, but hey to each his own.
    11-30-11 08:07 AM
    surely its far cheaper to just replace the battery when it starts to show signs of ageing.
    exactly!!!!!!
    11-30-11 08:54 AM
    I'll be you a quarter that this fence post tastes like strawberry if you lick it?
    11-30-11 10:07 AM
    This will save me money! No
    This will save me time! No
    This will solve the problem! No
    This will make things easier! No
    Oh well, at least it looks cool! No...
    11-30-11 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD