Ok i have the ATT unlimited data plan for 30.00 per month. They also offer a 15.00 a month plan for 200mb.

The MOST I have EVER used in one month is 77mb's. I dont see that changing, I use WIFI most of the time and that doesnt come off my data time.

Now if I chg plans the unlimited is gone for good !

But I could save 15.00 a month on my bill and im not using much .

What would you do
    09-28-10 10:27 PM
    Do you think you might upgrade your device? Newer devices will probably use more memory. You might want to consider future needs.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    09-29-10 12:11 AM
    I have a bold 9000 now, using more memory wouldnt use more data time would it ??

Would another BB model use that much more ??
    09-29-10 07:33 PM
    You're not even close to a gig man. Unless you plan on upgrading to an iPhone or
    an Android device, just do the $15 plan. Unless you ever plan on using your BB to tether.
    09-29-10 07:35 PM
    If you are considering a PlayBook you may want to consider keeping your current plan as the wifi model tethers from your BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-10 08:01 PM
    Ok I give...whats a play book ?? I dont plan to tether or use anything other than emal and get on th eweb once in awhile and again most times using WiFi

The I phone or andriod uses that much more ??
    09-29-10 08:34 PM
    No way I would give up that plan.

09-29-10 08:34 PM
    The Playbook is the new Blackberry tablet, somewhat similar to the iPad. And Android and iPhone don't compress data the way that Blackberry does, especially when using email. It wouldn't use a ton more, but you would get a better data experience. About the more memory thing, I think he means if you upgrade to an OS 6 device, because it has more media features and a better web browser that would probably use a lot more data than the current browser.
    09-29-10 09:16 PM
    So....what to do ?? Leave it or chg it
    09-29-10 10:31 PM
    So....what to do ?? Leave it or chg it
    Keep the plan

09-29-10 10:38 PM
    Here's my personal opinion. Keep it! I upgraded from 500mb to 6gb knowing I wouldn't be able to get close to touching it, but I did it because I wasn't sure I'd always stay with Blackberry, I am seriously considering checking out an Android which will use more data. With my 500mb plan it was good for Blackberry, but I tried out an Iphone for a while and I was able to burn through 500mb in 2 weeks. BB's compress data unlike any others.
    If you KNOW you are always going to stay BB, NOT tether ever, and not get a Playbook (to tether with) then downgrade.
    09-29-10 10:39 PM
    I wonder IF I go with another phone like I phone IF the unlimited data plan goes too or is it only for BB
    09-29-10 10:44 PM
    I say if the $15 extra in your pocket is important change your plan. I myself have gone over 200mb five times in the last year, but I also use a Slingbox to stream tv to my phone to watch sports if I am away. I also tether to my laptop if on vacation. I hope to be able to stay on unlimited for $30 with Verizon's tiered pricing coming soon. With 4G coming and more elaborate phone browsers, expect to use more data in the future. You can always go to the 2GB plan for the same cost later if your usage changes.
    09-29-10 10:55 PM
    If you dont use much data like you were saying then just go for the $15 200mb plan and you can save yourself quite a bit of money for other things. If you mostly use WiFi then it shouldnt be a problem for you going over the 200mb limit and just keep checking your data usage. I think once the tiered data plans hit verizon, most basic consumers who do not follow or know about data usage(people with android phones and data-hog smartphones) will most likely be pissed once they see their bill. This is going to be good and bad for verizon. Just my 2 cents.
    09-30-10 12:47 AM
    My wife and I looked into dropping our data plans to the $15 versions. I have my BB 8100 and she has an iPhone (used to have an 8100, too). We started our plans 4 years ago so we're still on the unlimited plans.

We checked the data usage and were regularly under 200. She is mostly working out of the house and runs her iPhone on our wifi - probably about 80% of the time, while my data usage is all through the AT&T EDGE network. Yet we both came out roughly the same (that tells you how much more data the iPhone pulls when it is on the network and off the wifi).

I plan to get the Pearl 3G when it becomes available next month. That has wifi so the roughly 20% of the time that I'm using my phone at home will then be off the network - and theoretically, less will accumulate on my bill. But I may use more on-network data because of faster 3G and GPS usage. I may decide to use the Nobex Radio Companion at work more often.

We decided to keep what we have for now.

We may go for the 2 GB plan which is $25 - that's still 5 bucks less a month per plan. It may be more than we need, but should cover us for that rare occasion when we might be on vacation or something and not have wifi available for some time.

It depends on what you feel comfortable with.

09-30-10 10:39 AM
    To the OP: 200mb/month is not unlimited.

09-30-10 05:51 PM
    ????? Root, I realize that pls RE read my post I NOW have UNLIMITED for 30.00, I olny use less than 100mb per month so I COULD go for the 200mb plan for 15.00 a month and save 15.00 a month
    09-30-10 09:07 PM
    ????? Root, I realize that pls RE read my post I NOW have UNLIMITED for 30.00, I olny use less than 100mb per month so I COULD go for the 200mb plan for 15.00 a month and save 15.00 a month

So have you decided to downgrade or have enough of us convinced you to keep what you have?
    09-30-10 10:40 PM
    If you are considering a PlayBook you may want to consider keeping your current plan as the wifi model tethers from your BB.

If you KNOW you are always going to stay BB, NOT tether ever, and not get a Playbook (to tether with) then downgrade.
    We have to be careful with what we say about the PlayBook as we do not have definitive info yet. I assume when you both mention concern about getting a playbook that you do so because the experience will likely cause one to surf more, or stream video/netflix/etc....

The PlayBook is an extension of the handheld and does NOT cause you to use more data simply because you have a handheld connected to a PlayBook via secure BT.

I purposefully avoided using the word "tethered" above since Tethering, from an application/use as a modem perspective implies that you are configuring you device in such a way that it will be recognized by your carrier as such (assuming they are monitoring that closely). The way I understand how the PlayBook will connect to a handheld (from reading in this forum) it will NOT be distinguishable from the handheld, thus not seen as usual tethering/modem scenarios.
    10-01-10 08:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD