Might as well go out with a bang the "PRIV"

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 07:50 PM
    Lol based on what? Not announcing a device that the Internet said was coming a mere 3 months after launching the Priv which hasn't even released on all carriers yet?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    pdizzle27 likes this.
    02-24-16 07:52 PM
    Chen's job was (and still is) to save the company and turn it into a profit-earning business. If that means focusing on software and axing hardware, that's what will happen. Any CEO that continues to dump money into a unit that isn't turning a profit and has no expectation to do so in the future is abdicating his primary job to the shareholders. Anyone claiming that Chen "had an agenda to get rid of the handset business" is implying that he intentionally discarded the interests of the shareholders for his own selfish interests in order to prove some point that some here keep claiming he wanted to make. The "easier" conclusion (which some are all too eager to draw) is that Chen is a moron - which seems to run counter to his performance at SAP. However, I also realize it's 2016 and the era of instant gratification and immediate results with accompanying knee-jerk reactions and analysis is alive and well - and actual facts get discarded for opinions that must be right because "I think, therefore it is."

People can whine about "coulda, woulda, shoulda" until the lights go out, but none of that changes anything about the past - not the facts that were present, or the decisions that were made. You can't base decisions based on "what could/should have been" unless you want to risk betting the farm; you have to deal with the present situation and plan accordingly. I don't know why all of that is so hard to accept, but ... well, yeah I do. See above. People can even whine and complain about what should be done going forward - and any "obvious conclusions" drawn from such armchair analysis are worth approximately a warm pitcher of spit.

If hardware goes away because it's not making money, it goes away. It won't be the first time a company bailed on what was an immensely profitable unit, and it won't be the last. Mattel bailed on home gaming systems, Sony gave up on the Walkman when it quit turning a profit; IBM moved out of typewriters, etc. etc. etc. If you can't change focus and insist on plowing money into something losing money knowing it's likely to keep losing money, there's a bankruptcy court with the company's name on it somewhere. Maybe that's what some people would like to see; myself, I'd prefer the company to live to fight another day.
    02-24-16 08:16 PM
    Wasn't questioning whether it happens or not. Just asking how the OP came to such as absolute conclusion with a one sentence explanation.

02-24-16 08:32 PM
    BB10 may be dead for the consumer, but it would be foolish for blackberry to kill off the hardware business completely. It's crucial for end to end security. No matter how much they patch android and secure it, it will never be as secure as a blackberry device running a blackberry OS. I think in the future, BB10 phones will only be available to companies willing to pray a premium for top-notch security.

Posted via CB10
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    02-24-16 08:39 PM
    OP, You must be new to Blackberry and not around for too long. BlackBerry handsets started to die long before Chen got here.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 08:41 PM
    For a dying handset, this Q5 just keeps on clicking.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 10:01 PM
    02-24-16 11:06 PM
    With all the signs lately come on let me hear you...*krickets*

Posted via CB10
    02-28-16 11:51 AM
    For a dying handset, this Q5 just keeps on clicking.

Posted via CB10
    In a dead kind of way.
    Ronindan and boysontheblock like this.
    02-28-16 12:57 PM
    If his true master plan was to kill the hardware division all along, then why waste the time, money, people, and resources to even bother developing and supporting the Priv?

Posted via CB10
    dolco likes this.
    02-28-16 01:11 PM
    If his true master plan was to kill the hardware division all along, then why waste the time, money, people, and resources to even bother developing and supporting the Priv?

Posted via CB10
    Conspiracyyyyyyyyy...
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    02-28-16 01:14 PM
    Chen's job was (and still is) to save the company and turn it into a profit-earning business. If that means focusing on software and axing hardware, that's what will happen. Any CEO that continues to dump money into a unit that isn't turning a profit and has no expectation to do so in the future is abdicating his primary job to the shareholders. Anyone claiming that Chen "had an agenda to get rid of the handset business" is implying that he intentionally discarded the interests of the shareholders for his own selfish interests in order to prove some point that some here keep claiming he wanted to make. The "easier" conclusion (which some are all too eager to draw) is that Chen is a moron - which seems to run counter to his performance at SAP. However, I also realize it's 2016 and the era of instant gratification and immediate results with accompanying knee-jerk reactions and analysis is alive and well - and actual facts get discarded for opinions that must be right because "I think, therefore it is."

People can whine about "coulda, woulda, shoulda" until the lights go out, but none of that changes anything about the past - not the facts that were present, or the decisions that were made. You can't base decisions based on "what could/should have been" unless you want to risk betting the farm; you have to deal with the present situation and plan accordingly. I don't know why all of that is so hard to accept, but ... well, yeah I do. See above. People can even whine and complain about what should be done going forward - and any "obvious conclusions" drawn from such armchair analysis are worth approximately a warm pitcher of spit.

If hardware goes away because it's not making money, it goes away. It won't be the first time a company bailed on what was an immensely profitable unit, and it won't be the last. Mattel bailed on home gaming systems, Sony gave up on the Walkman when it quit turning a profit; IBM moved out of typewriters, etc. etc. etc. If you can't change focus and insist on plowing money into something losing money knowing it's likely to keep losing money, there's a bankruptcy court with the company's name on it somewhere. Maybe that's what some people would like to see; myself, I'd prefer the company to live to fight another day.
    I agree with most of this but, when, not if, they withdraw from handsets, why should I care about whether or not they survive. They no longer have any value to me (I sold my BBRY stock in the $12 range and haven't had occasion to regret it) and the manner in which they have operated is one that reasonably is cause for antipathy, not well-wishing.
    dolco and JeepBB like this.
    02-28-16 01:14 PM
    Chen's "sole" purpose in the Android venture, was because the hardware division has been on life support for far too long already, and all other methods of resuscitation ended in failure. The Android venture is just an experimental medicine as a Hail Mary attempt to revive it since all other available options had proven ineffective.
    GadgetTravel, TGR1 and JeepBB like this.
    02-28-16 02:35 PM
    Itt:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	conspiracy-640_s640x427.jpg 
Views:	1264 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	392403
    Indeed
    02-28-16 02:42 PM
    Chen's soul purpose was to make the shareholders money, as that is all that matters. If he can make BB profitable he will kill hardware. If there is no chance to make money on hardware, he will quit doing it. Its pretty simple really.
    JeepBB, jas1978 and TgeekB like this.
    02-28-16 05:28 PM
    I don't understand why everyone is fixated on shareholders. Even if they were private, you wouldn't keep pumping resources in a non-money maker.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-16 05:49 PM
    It wouldn't be the first time. There are major establishments that axed their handset division but are still around...

Ericsson
    Siemens
    Bosch
    Nokia (?)

*ME173X
    neoberry99 likes this.
    02-28-16 05:50 PM
    Might as well go out with a bang the "PRIV"

Posted via CB10
    Hey, let's release a hybrid keyboard slab phone with no unique security features running a two generation old android OS and price it at 700...what could go wrong. This was not designed to succeed.
    boysontheblock and acovey like this.
    02-28-16 10:40 PM
    I'm loving my priv, but if BlackBerry decide to stop selling BlackBerry, I still wish them the best of luck and make millions else where

02-28-16 11:04 PM
    Hey, let's release a hybrid keyboard slab phone with no unique security features running a two generation old android OS and price it at 700...what could go wrong. This was not designed to succeed.
    ...it's running Lollipop, not Kit Kat. Many high end phones have yet to get Marshmallow, albeit BlackBerry needs to get on with announcing what they're doing with it. A locked bootloader is fairly unique for a device running Android. I agree completely on price though.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-16 11:15 PM
    His purposes was to fire everybody and make the company look good enough on paper, for some sucker to buy it. If you've been unfortunate enough to have gone through that, you'd have recognized it pretty early on.
    Old_Mil likes this.
    02-28-16 11:30 PM
    His purposes was to fire everybody and make the company look good enough on paper, for some sucker to buy it. If you've been unfortunate enough to have gone through that, you'd have recognized it pretty early on.

Sadly, I think you've got a point.
    Trimming everything to the bone, dumping everything that isn't profitable, *could* be Chen establishing a sound foundation for the future... but, it could equally be making the company books look nice for a buyer.
    Old_Mil likes this.
    02-29-16 02:05 AM
    It wouldn't be the first time. There are major establishments that axed their handset division but are still around...

Ericsson
    Siemens
    Bosch
    Nokia (?)

*ME173X
    But those are 50-100 year old companies much bigger than handsets and were never only about handsets. They always had other and usually bigger divisions.
    Those are all in the Nortel category with multiple products in different fields. BlackBerry at its peak was a single product company: handsets, and it's a much younger company than those.
    acovey likes this.
    02-29-16 05:59 AM
    Everyone wants them to smash it out of the park, but Chen is taking the money ball approach.
    Small incremental improvement, mathematically better by just a bit. Carrier support has ticked up, Android will improve the demand part of the equation, again just slightly. They only need a marginal improvement on all aspects of the hardware side to call it a success.

Posted via CB10
    02-29-16 06:42 AM
54 123