Concur. For better or worse, it appears BlackBerry has hitched its hardware wagon to Android and Google. If this flops, my guess is we won't see much more in the way of consumer market personal communication devices from them.
    My guess is if they had stuck with BB10... you weren't going to see any new communications devcies anyway.
    07-07-16 02:05 PM
    He can care less if it is BB10 or Android. Stop reading into crap. if The BB10 bases was enough to sustain the business he would go that route. Business is business. obviously BB10 business and your so called "base" didn't do crap for BB's bottom line. and in fact is bleeding it.
    07-07-16 02:51 PM
    He can care less if it is BB10 or Android. Stop reading into crap. if The BB10 bases was enough to sustain the business he would go that route. Business is business. obviously BB10 business and your so called "base" didn't do crap for BB's bottom line. and in fact is bleeding it.
    The problem is Android doesn't make money for OEMs. Hardware is entirely too competitive and Blackberry has no design talent remaining and no manufacturing capability. They are going against all logic really.
    07-07-16 02:56 PM
    The problem is Android doesn't make money for OEMs. Hardware is entirely too competitive and Blackberry has no design talent remaining and no manufacturing capability. They are going against all logic really.
    With a well formulated agreement with Alcatel, the hardware cost for BlackBerry will be orders of magnitude less than building, supporting, and maintaining an independent OS and device portfolio.

BlackBerry doesn't need to make any money on devices. As a matter of fact, they can stomach a reasonable loss to boost EMM sales. BB10 had absolutely no hope of even approaching a "reasonable" loss.
    07-07-16 03:10 PM
    BB10 wasn't making any money for Blackberry either, and was costing the company a lot more money than Android will.

You have to remember Blackberry's goal/future is as a software company.
    07-07-16 06:18 PM
    There isn't any confusion on what Google does with users' data, they spell it out quite clearly in their TOS. The only thing they sell is advertising space.
    I think maybe you underestimate how clueless and uninformed most smartphone owners are lol

Then again, BUYER BEWARE!

 Frosty White Q10/.2876 CB10 
    Last edited by jope28; 07-08-16 at 06:11 AM.
    GWooster likes this.
    07-07-16 06:43 PM
    I agree with Timothius' original comment, in the sense that BB could have put in more marketing effort into promoting the BB10 hardware devices. All over the business world you have companies trumpeting products that aren't half as good as BB10 devices, while BB itself mopes in a corner about no one buying their stuff. It's like the fable where the foolish villager chucks pebbles into a river while brooding over his bad luck, not realising they're actually diamonds.
    I mean when you have a great OS and superb devices that elicit nothing but absolute devotion in users lucky enough to have been exposed to them, why wouldn't you push it through every advertising route possible? Letting it die is the same as actively killing it.
    Asvertus likes this.
    07-08-16 05:12 AM
    I mean when you have a great OS and superb devices that elicit nothing but absolute devotion in users lucky enough to have been exposed to them, why wouldn't you push it through every advertising route possible? Letting it die is the same as actively killing it.
    You are greatly exaggerating the percentage of people who are exposed to BB10 who then become "devoted" to it. The reality is that, even among those who have been given a real demo or have even used a properly setup BB10 phone themselves for a bit, most don't find the plusses to be strong enough to offset the minuses, and so they don't switch to BB10.

Yes, BB makes a great PKB, and BB10 has Peak & Flow and the Hub, but for the vast majority, these weren't going to outweigh the trailing specs, high price, badly tarnished brand image, questionable future support, lack of competitive after-sale support service, and most importantly, the lack of an ecosystem (apps, services, and accessories). I'm sure BB's focus groups and feedback from the carriers told them that loud and clear, and given that, spending more money to drive buyers into carrier stores would have only resulted in more users being diverted to an Apple or Samsung device OR more people buying a BB10 phone only to return it when they discovered it didn't meet their needs.

Remember too that the vast majority aren't going to have anything to do with Snap or Cobalt's patches, much less sideloading apps. For most, if it isn't available (and working well) when installed from BB World or the Amazon Marketplace, then it does them no good. Most consumers aren't dumb (despite the perception here), and they know if they buy an iPhone or Android that it will support any and every app, accessory, or service that comes out in the future, but they cannot know if a BB10 phone would work - and that uncertainty is going to drive most people to a supported and established ecosystem.

This is one of the biggest things that killed BB10:

Is Chen's Neglect of the BB10 Base a Deliberate Attempt to Force them to Adopt Android?-app-store-website.jpg

And no amount of advertising would counteract that.
    07-08-16 08:23 PM
    The problem is Android doesn't make money for OEMs.
    Aside from Samsung.
    07-08-16 08:38 PM
    I'll go one further and venture that they've never read BlackBerry's TOS. Or even remember that BlackBerry had their own ad business doing exactly what Google gets vilified for doing.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    Ironically, Google allows you to delete and control the data they have about you.

BlackBerry, the supposed "champion of privacy" does not have such controls. They collect the same info about you, and allow app developers to do the same.

Nexus 6p 64gb
    Ronindan likes this.
    07-08-16 09:54 PM
    I mean when you have a great OS and superb devices that elicit nothing but absolute devotion in users lucky enough to have been exposed to them, why wouldn't you push it through every advertising route possible?
    I own a BB10 device, and I can tell you that I personally prefer iOS and WP8 over BB10.
    07-09-16 08:24 AM
    I own a BB10 device, and I can tell you that I personally prefer iOS and WP8 over BB10.
    We all look for different things in what we "prefer" and value.
    I'm at the opposite side of the spectrum as you.
    I love me some BB10 juice.

I will milk BB10 until it can't take it anymore lol.

 Passport/SQW100-3 .2876 CB10 
    07-09-16 09:10 AM
    Do you also refuse to send email to anyone who uses Gmail? Also, guess what, anything you post on the internet is indexed by Google. You'd be surprised at the profile someone could build using just your posts and profile from this website.
    Of course, I am not surprised. It's the profile I want to create.
    07-09-16 09:20 AM
    I will go to iPhone if I can't use BB10 anymore. Sorry, Chen. BTW, please update Link.
    07-09-16 03:32 PM
    Ironically, Google allows you to delete and control the data they have about you.

BlackBerry, the supposed "champion of privacy" does not have such controls. They collect the same info about you, and allow app developers to do the same.

Nexus 6p 64gb
    That statement is able as false as you can get.
    08-04-16 10:10 AM
    Yes that is exactly what he is doing. Android crap.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-16 10:47 AM
241 ... 8910