When it comes to the consumer market, Chen if facing two uphill battles: the "failure" of BB10, and, the long-standing consumer belief that BBs are an arcane phone that our parents used. Essentially, not with the times; not hip. Unless there is a quantum leap forward with BB10 that makes it an absolute ahead-of-the-times device that consumers would want, there are no amount of apps or talk or top-of-the-line specs that will encourage public response. Simply put: BlackBerry needs to change its public appearance first and foremost in order to change consumer perceptions of BB. And the only way to do that is through marketing.
    I agree. In other threads I've expressed the view that it was a marketing error to launch the BB10 line with obscure alphanumeric names: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30. These are meaningless to consumers, who will only perceive the brand name "BlackBerry," which, as you point out, is perceived as bygone. You can get away with alphanumeric names if the primary brand is itself attractive, like Merecedes Benz or whatever. But if you're trying to overcome a tarnished brand image, as BlackBerry is, you need to keep the name "BlackBerry" in the background and put something more attractive in the foreground. Nokia apparently understood this, which is no doubt why they opted for a new and interesting brand name, "Lumia", running the new WP OS, instead of their traditional Nokia+<alphanumeric model name>. Obviously this move alone isn't enough to save the day, but it's the right idea.

There's nothing about the names "Z10" etc. to convey to the average consumer the idea that this isn't "your father's BlackBerry." If you then have to get into the explanation that the Z10 runs on a whole new OS, BB10, the battle is lost. The average consumer is only vaguely aware of what an OS is, and certainly indifferent to what sounds like the same old OS, "BB", with a new number.

All that I've said here is about image, not about actual device capabilities. If "killer features" or "killer specs" are needed for BlackBerry to survive in the consumer market, then they probably won't survive, regardless of any image rehabilitation. But I'm not so sure that that's the case. It looks to me like some image rehab could at least help them to stabilize, even if there's no possibility of becoming a dominant force in the market again.

Apple was the alternative to MS-DOS, then the alternative to Windows. Then when they entered the phone market they were the alternative to BlackBerry. Because of this history, the Apple brand carries a vaguely countercultural "alternative" image, and this helps them to attract and retain customers. BlackBerry has the exact opposite kind of history and image. They represent the "corporate establishment," which would be fine if they had really held on to that position.

I dunno, maybe Mr. Chen really is saying they're cutting the consumer line loose, and maybe that's what they need to do. I guess at this point it comes down to launching one handset that sells well enough to establish a beachhead. To do that, I think they'll need to work hard on the image problem, as well as all the other problems. This would be a very good time for Mr. Chen to say something about it.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-04-13 07:31 AM
    You'll never find a CEO worth a dang without that kind of money up front or guaranteed. You want a good CEO, you've gotta pay the going rate. The trick is finding the right CEO for the job, or it'll cost dearly down the road.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Well, i guess that's the trick. BB hasn't found one yet. One more like the one that you've got now, and you're down the tubes.
    12-04-13 08:21 AM
    We're an Enterprise customer, have been for many years. Didn't receive an email or letter. Had to hear about it on CB. Which once again signals one of the many failures of BlackBerry Marketing and communications. They don't need to worry about anyone else trying to get us to switch from BES, they're doing fine all by themselves in that category.

Hopeful for a positive change and that the change will come sooner than later. Still haven't seen any actions to back up all the words.
    12-04-13 08:22 AM
    We're an Enterprise customer, have been for many years. Didn't receive an email or letter. Had to hear about it on CB. Which once again signals one of the many failures of BlackBerry Marketing and communications. They don't need to worry about anyone else trying to get us to switch from BES, they're doing fine all by themselves in that category.

Hopeful for a positive change and that the change will come sooner than later. Still haven't seen any actions to back up all the words.
    I was wondering, if it is is important to BBRY, whether they are sending out more reps to assure these clients? It's expensive but that personal touch, particularly if built up over time, is usually more effective than notes like this.
    12-04-13 08:27 AM
    Apple was the alternative to MS-DOS, then the alternative to Windows. Then when they entered the phone market they were the alternative to BlackBerry. Because of this history, the Apple brand carries a vaguely countercultural "alternative" image, and this helps them to attract and retain customers. BlackBerry has the exact opposite kind of history and image. They represent the "corporate establishment," which would be fine if they had really held on to that position.
    Nobody cared about the Apple brand or history when the iPhone came out. They wanted to be able to carry one device that was both a phone and an already hugely popular iPod. It was about the product not the Brand! If the Apple brand was so great you would have seen a huge increase in the sales of Apple computers.... but you didn't. Because an Apple computer - while a great device - does limit you to a very small ecosystem that just doesn't work for most people.

As far as names go... I agree that Z10 and Q10 mean nothing and don't really inspire a feeling toward the device. Think this was more of the BlackBerry elitist mentality coming out. If using alphanumeric names is good enough for premium car companies like Mercedes and BMW... why not BlackBerry. Same reason the devices were priced as premium products.
    12-04-13 08:39 AM
    I think blackberry have a chance if they can beat apple and make a flex phone.

sent from my galaxy note 3
    12-04-13 06:58 PM
    I think blackberry have a chance if they can beat apple and make a flex phone.

Good luck with that.

Blackberry should return to their roots.
    12-04-13 07:06 PM
    Nobody cared about the Apple brand or history when the iPhone came out. They wanted to be able to carry one device that was both a phone and an already hugely popular iPod. It was about the product not the Brand! If the Apple brand was so great you would have seen a huge increase in the sales of Apple computers.... but you didn't. Because an Apple computer - while a great device - does limit you to a very small ecosystem that just doesn't work for most people.
    $499 for the 4GB and $599 for the 8GB unsubsidized in America in 2007 for a first gen unproven device on an os no one ever heard of or seen from a manufacturer that never made phones says the above is BS.
    12-04-13 07:27 PM
    So Chen said BES10, MDM, focus on BYOD solutions, a bit of QNX and some devices. Not one mention of BB10.

Yet this thread is all about phones. Hmmm? Maybe some inventory to clear, major retraining, transformation to realign skills. But surely not any more major handset investment.

I'm not trying to be contentious, just being honest. IMHO of course.
    12-04-13 08:00 PM
    Good luck with that.

Blackberry should return to their roots.
    Check out the LG flex and you will see what I mean.

12-05-13 07:42 AM
    Where is the new Avengers poster with Chen taking Thor's spot? Thor was saying the same garbage and everyone was bowing down before him a very short time ago. Chen gets no respect or any type of pat on the back until I see action.

How short peoples memories are.
    lnichols likes this.
    12-05-13 07:53 AM
    The stock is making all time lows since the letter so I'm guessing that industry watchers aren't taking the letter too seriously. And, why would they?
    12-06-13 11:21 AM
    Where is the new Avengers poster with Chen taking Thor's spot? Thor was saying the same garbage and everyone was bowing down before him a very short time ago. Chen gets no respect or any type of pat on the back until I see action.

How short peoples memories are.
    True, but Chen is considerably more talented and experienced. Whether you are an optimist or a skeptic, I think we can all agree that Chen is an enormous upgrade over Heins?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    12-06-13 11:35 AM
    I think we can all agree that Chen is an enormous upgrade over Heins?
    Why would we agree about that? Chen hasn't done anything definitive yet other than fire some executives and write a letter to customers. I'm guessing that he will make some moves over the next couple of months that will quickly turn him into a goat in the eyes of many Crackberry folks. After all, if you make TH a goat based on results he may or may not have been able to control then you will probably blame Chen for difficult decisions that he may have to make going forward.
    12-06-13 12:43 PM
    Why would we agree about that? Chen hasn't done anything definitive yet other than fire some executives and write a letter to customers. I'm guessing that he will make some moves over the next couple of months that will quickly turn him into a goat in the eyes of many Crackberry folks. After all, if you make TH a goat based on results he may or may not have been able to control then you will probably blame Chen for difficult decisions that he may have to make going forward.
    Fair enough. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and this pudding just went into the oven.

I say he's an upgrade because he's a qualified outsider. Heins was the COO on a completely failed mgmt team that had already ruined BlackBerry. Further, as I understand it, he had his hands all over the Storm which literally pushed Verizon and a huge portion of the US market into Google's waiting arms.

So comparatively at least, I think he's an upgrade. Of course Chen is also walking into a situation which may be even more impossible than the one Heins took over. So we'll see....
    12-06-13 03:37 PM
    True, but Chen is considerably more talented and experienced. Whether you are an optimist or a skeptic, I think we can all agree that Chen is an enormous upgrade over Heins?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    I could get on board with that. I really do think he's a better solution than Heins.

However... What I don't think a lot of BB fans have come to realize is that Chen is coming in to make BBRY profitable as a business, which does not necessarily equate to returning Blackberry to being a mobile handset maker or provider.

12-06-13 04:03 PM
    I could get on board with that. I really do think he's a better solution than Heins.

However... What I don't think a lot of BB fans have come to realize is that Chen is coming in to make BBRY profitable as a business, which does not necessarily equate to returning Blackberry to being a mobile handset maker or provider.

Partially true...once they start existing as profitable business again they will have lot of partners willing to work with them on handsets...Plus handsets is part of their security solution they will not completely exist it..

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 04:16 PM
    Because a Keebler elf would be an improvement over him
    12-06-13 08:49 PM
    He's more suited to running a company that wants to focus on software. That's for sure. Than any previous BlackBerry CEOs.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1055
    12-06-13 08:52 PM
94 ... 234