Sorry to say BBM is for BlackBerry groupies & is otherwise of no general use...
    Batibreaker likes this.
    02-05-15 03:10 PM
    Yes, exactly. My wife has an iPhone and an iPad. I have an iPhone, iPad and iMac on my desk. If she sends me an iMessage I get it on all of those devices. If she uses BBM she has to guess the device I'm looking at. Same if I send her a BBM. Im trying a workaround so I can use my Q10 to message her (because of the keyboard) but BBM isn't working out. I am trying to figure out how to set up and message groups in BBM.
    Oh I dunno that that's a valid criticism. While I love the point that my Hangouts and SMS messages pop up on whatever devices or computers that I'm using. Any method of instant messaging gets to me right away on my mobile device. Granted I don't have BBM on my desktop... but if anybody messages me via BBM, my smartphone is right there next to me. It takes all of 2 seconds to check it.

If your wife sends you a BBM knowing that you have BBM, I'm relatively confident she'll know that you'll get it, and know immediately that it came in. I challenge you to use the "Sorry, I wasn't staring at my phone" excuse when the sender knows better.

Penned via Tapatalk
    02-05-15 04:28 PM
    Oh I dunno that that's a valid criticism. While I love the point that my Hangouts and SMS messages pop up on whatever devices or computers that I'm using. Any method of instant messaging gets to me right away on my mobile device. Granted I don't have BBM on my desktop... but if anybody messages me via BBM, my smartphone is right there next to me. It takes all of 2 seconds to check it.

If your wife sends you a BBM knowing that you have BBM, I'm relatively confident she'll know that you'll get it, and know immediately that it came in. I challenge you to use the "Sorry, I wasn't staring at my phone" excuse when the sender knows better.

Penned via Tapatalk
    Not everyone has their smartphone "right there next to them" 24/7.

When at home, my phone is usually in my room. I can be in the living room, watching tv... Or in the kitchen, cooking... And my tablet is more likely to be with me than my phone. For video calls, reading, watching Netflix or YouTube videos, or playing games. It's nice when messages come through to my tablet and phone. No need to lug two device around the house to every room I'm in... and with Continuity, my regular SMS/MMS and phone calls all come through to my tablet as well.

"Sorry, I wasn't staring at my phone" can be a valid excuse... "Sorry, I wasn't staring at my phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop" is a little harder to sell.
    Batibreaker likes this.
    02-05-15 05:04 PM

Penned via Tapatalk
    But I have two phones and don't necessarily look at both at the same time. Especially if I am in a meeting or have my ringer off, virtually always, I have to be paying attention to one of the phones. In my office I have my desktop so I see her iMessages on screen but not a BBM.
    02-05-15 05:16 PM
    Not everyone has their smartphone "right there next to them" 24/7.

When at home, my phone is usually in my room. I can be in the living room, watching tv... Or in the kitchen, cooking... And my tablet is more likely to be with me than my phone. For video calls, reading, watching Netflix or YouTube videos, or playing games. It's nice when messages come through to my tablet and phone. No need to lug two device around the house to every room I'm in... and with Continuity, my regular SMS/MMS and phone calls all come through to my tablet as well.
    I won't comment on the merits of people always having their smartphone "right there next to them" 24/7, as those merits would be opinion based. However, more often than not... most people actually do have them there at all times. Heck, it's a running gag that most people with smartphones actually take their mobile devices with them into the bathroom just so they don't miss anything.

However, what I will say, is that anybody who's opened themselves to be "available" to correspondence will always have their smartphone next to them. I myself will leave my smartphone in another room when I don't wish to be bothered, but with that... I don't want to be bothered just because I happen to be sitting in front of my computer, kicking back with my tab, etc..

The point is; If you're making yourself available to electronic correspondence, your mobile device will be by your side.

Don't get me wrong... I'm notorious for fielding complaints from friends, family, and coworkers, who all complain that I didn't respond immediately when they message me. For some reason they just can't grasp my explanation that I simply "wasn't taking calls". I really really miss the days when there were no cell phones, and regardless whether you were home or not, you could always say "Sorry, I wasn't home" when you ignored a phone call because that was all landlines were good for.

In an age where you can reliably contact anybody sitting in front of a computing device connected to the internet or a cellular carrier, it's really not much of a stretch that when they're available, their mobile device is right next to them.
    02-05-15 05:17 PM
    But I have two phones and don't necessarily look at both at the same time. Especially if I am in a meeting or have my ringer off, virtually always, I have to be paying attention to one of the phones. In my office I have my desktop so I see her iMessages on screen but not a BBM.
    What you're describing there, is a matter of priority, not availability. If the phone that bleeps at you is the one your wife contacts... you didn't miss the correspondence, you simply placed less importance to respond to it based on priority. However, you're fully aware that you'll need to check your correspondence on the lower priority device once you're free to do it. Reading the correspondence out of curiosity doesn't matter if you're not able to respond immediately anyway.

My "significant other" knows that if she is just chatting, to contact me via whatever messaging service we prefer, and I will respond when time permits; however, if it's an emergency (meaning house is on fire, got mugged, in the hospital etc..), she calls my work device in lieu of messaging me digitally.
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 02-05-15 at 05:33 PM.
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    02-05-15 05:23 PM
    I won't comment on the merits of people always having their smartphone "right there next to them" 24/7, as those merits would be opinion based. However, more often than not... most people actually do have them there at all times. Heck, it's a running gag that most people with smartphones actually take their mobile devices with them into the bathroom just so they don't miss anything.

However, what I will say, is that anybody who's opened themselves to be "available" to correspondence will always have their smartphone next to them. I myself will leave my smartphone in another room when I don't wish to be bothered, but with that... I don't want to be bothered just because I happen to be sitting in front of my computer, kicking back with my tab, etc..

The point is; If you're making yourself available to electronic correspondence, your mobile device will be by your side.

Don't get me wrong... I'm notorious for fielding complaints from friends, family, and coworkers, who all complain that I didn't respond immediately when they message me. For some reason they just can't grasp my explanation that I simply "wasn't taking calls". I really really miss the days when there were no cell phones, and regardless whether you were home or not, you could always say "Sorry, I wasn't home" when you ignored a phone call because that was all landlines were good for.

In an age where you can reliably contact anybody sitting in front of a computing device connected to the internet or a cellular carrier, it's really not much of a stretch that when they're available, their mobile device is right next to them.
    I get what you're saying, but I don't need my phone by my side at all times to be available to electronic correspondence. With BBM. I would need it by my side. But with SMS/MMS, iMessage, voice and video calls, email, etc etc etc... I don't need my phone with me at all times. It's a matter of convenience... Not of opening my self up or closing my self to communication. If I don't want to be disturbed, I turn "Do Not Disturb" on... I leave my phone in my room, because I don't need it with me when I'm just roaming my own house.

The vast majority of my electronic communications no longer depend soley on my mobile phone. Email, Internet forums, social media, carrier messaging, 1st and 3rd party messaging apps, and voice and video calls of all kinds. I grab my phone when I leave the house. It is a mobile phone, after all. When my tablet, laptop, or desktop can all handle all my communications needs, why would I need my phone with me everywhere I go within my home? Pretty much anywhere I go in the house, and anything I happen to be doing, I'm within a short distance of at least one device. The only reason I even carry the tablet around is because I'm using it quite a lot.
    Last edited by jmr1015; 02-05-15 at 06:11 PM.
    02-05-15 05:45 PM
    I get what you're saying, but I don't need my phone by my side at all times to be available to electronic correspondence. With BBM. I would need it by my side. But with SMS/MMS, iMessage, voice and video calls, email, etc etc etc... I don't need my phone with me at all times. It's a matter of convenience... Not of opening my self up or closing my self to communication. If I don't want to be disturbed, I turn "Do Not Disturb" on... I leave my phone in my room, because I don't need it with me when I'm just roaming my own house.

The vast majority of my electronic communications no longer depend soley on my mobile phone. Email, Internet forums, social media, carrier messaging, 1st and 3rd party messaging apps, and voice and video calls of all kinds. I grab my phone when I leave the house. It is a mobile phone, after all. When my tablet, laptop, or desktop can all handle all my communications needs, why would I need my phone with me everywhere I go within my home?
    Absolutely... it's a matter of convenience.

However, the post I was replying to was making the ability to contact somebody seem to be a real chore if you didn't know which device they were in front of at the moment. Even went as far as saying they'd have to "guess" which device they are currently focused on.

The ability to message someone, and know that no matter which device they're focused on, will instantly deliver the message is still in its infancy. Enough so, that in the case of important correspondence that requires immediate (as in respond "right now") attention, is still in its infancy. As yet... there's still no substitute to an actual phone call when it comes to "address this NOW" circumstances. Convenience is great... I love it. I utilize it all the time myself. However, I'd never use the ability to count on multiple device messaging to be reliable in those circumstances.

If however, your correspondence is rather benign... then it's not really a big deal whether they receive the message within 10 seconds, or 10 minutes later.
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    02-05-15 06:00 PM
    I use my phone for my security... my physical challenge makes my fone by my side in case of a need for help when home alone... allows me to disarm my security system & give premises access instructions... can view security cameras to see who responds...
    02-05-15 06:15 PM
    What you're describing there, is a matter of priority, not availability. If the phone that bleeps at you is the one your wife contacts... you didn't miss the correspondence, you simply placed less importance to respond to it based on priority. However, you're fully aware that you'll need to check your correspondence on the lower priority device once you're free to do it. Reading the correspondence out of curiosity doesn't matter if you're not able to respond immediately anyway.

My "significant other" knows that if she is just chatting, to contact me via whatever messaging service we prefer, and I will respond when time permits; however, if it's an emergency (meaning house is on fire, got mugged, in the hospital etc..), she calls my work device in lieu of messaging me digitally.
    None of them beep at me much of the time. But, perhaps we are really discussing the predictability of our respective significant others.
    02-05-15 06:52 PM
    Absolutely... it's a matter of convenience.

However, the post I was replying to was making the ability to contact somebody seem to be a real chore if you didn't know which device they were in front of at the moment. Even went as far as saying they'd have to "guess" which device they are currently focused on.

The ability to message someone, and know that no matter which device they're focused on, will instantly deliver the message is still in its infancy. Enough so, that in the case of important correspondence that requires immediate (as in respond "right now") attention, is still in its infancy. As yet... there's still no substitute to an actual phone call when it comes to "address this NOW" circumstances. Convenience is great... I love it. I utilize it all the time myself. However, I'd never use the ability to count on multiple device messaging to be reliable in those circumstances.

If however, your correspondence is rather benign... then it's not really a big deal whether they receive the message within 10 seconds, or 10 minutes later.
    The ability to contact someone used to be a real chore... and for some, it still can be. With some phones, you do have to guess if the recipient is by their device. Same with some messaging services.

Multi-device messaging, in my experience, is no less reliable than solo device. My phone connects to the same wifi as my tablet and laptop. My messages arrive at all device nearly simultaneously. There are occasions the phone gets the messages maybe 5 seconds before the other. There are other occasions where the tablet gets the messages first. Same with phone calls, and email.

I agree that for emergencies, few things beat a good ol' fashioned phone call. Thankfully, even phone calls don't have to be taken on just my mobile if I don't have it near me. Phone calls go to my tablet and laptop as well. I don't see how being able to send and receive correspondence from all your devices somehow negatively impacts the ease to connect with someone, and that a solo device solution is somehow superior.
    02-05-15 07:13 PM
    The ability to contact someone used to be a real chore... and for some, it still can be. With some phones, you do have to guess if the recipient is by their device. Same with some messaging services.

Multi-device messaging, in my experience, is no less reliable than solo device. My phone connects to the same wifi as my tablet and laptop. My messages arrive at all device nearly simultaneously. There are occasions the phone gets the messages maybe 5 seconds before the other. There are other occasions where the tablet gets the messages first. Same with phone calls, and email.

I agree that for emergencies, few things beat a good ol' fashioned phone call. Thankfully, even phone calls don't have to be taken on just my mobile if I don't have it near me. Phone calls go to my tablet and laptop as well. I don't see how being able to send and receive correspondence from all your devices somehow negatively impacts the ease to connect with someone, and that a solo device solution is somehow superior.
    I'm not debating that a solo device solution is superior. And when considering matters of convenience, most often it's not. However, there is a significant distinction between the primary functions of each device. A phone (and smartphone) holds the distinct intention of being primarily a communication device. That's its primary purpose. Despite the many many uses and capabilities of a smartphone, the communication aspect is its primary purpose. On the flip side... while a desktop computer, a laptop, and even a tablet, is capable of providing interactive human communication, it's still as a secondary service. Sure, both sides of the coin can often complement each other, but there's still the communication distinction. If it's of absolute importance to contact someone with the intent to receive an immediate response, nobody will realistically rely upon instant messaging, regardless whether it's a forgone conclusion that the recipient has several avenues or options to receive the message.
    02-05-15 07:36 PM
    Sorry to say BBM is for BlackBerry groupies & is otherwise of no general use...
    I disagree - but I've been on these forums longer than two months so my perspective might be from a different angle.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    02-05-15 08:01 PM
    When my wife feels her BBM is urgent, she " pings" me and I am trained to answer right away. ( pretty hard to ignore a beeping, LED- flashing, vibrating "ping", just one of many reasons why BBM, especially on BlackBerry's, is the ultimate communicator. )

TCB on Z10
    02-05-15 08:26 PM
    Wasn't this thread about J.C. At one point?

BlackBerry hates America!
    Cynycl likes this.
    02-05-15 08:46 PM
    Wasn't this thread about J.C. At one point?

BlackBerry hates America!
    Jesus Christmas people stay on topic 😂
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    02-05-15 08:52 PM
241 ... 8910