That sounds amazing I wouldn't even have to get out of bed to start my morning joe

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure in a few years this will be commonplace, and my kids and future generations will wonder how we managed to get by without being able to make coffee/latte/cappuccino from PC/tablet/phone while laying in bed or from voice command while in our self-driving automated vehicles.
    There is so much opportunity for technology companies like BlackBerry, hopefully they can capitalize and grab a piece of BlackBerry revenue pie
    habs_fan likes this.
    04-28-15 11:51 AM
    I certainly hope the new generation of apps thing means platform agnostic apps. Developers should be making apps that not only worked on any mobile phone but maybe also on smartwatches, TVs and other smart platforms with plug-ins.
    Smartwatches are a perfect example of the limitation of platform agnostic apps. Does anyone really think that a smartwatch can possibly properly display an smartphone app without customization? And what smartphone platform or developer automatically configures itself for a smartwatch?
    04-28-15 12:03 PM
    I think if BB10 had more apps, it would definitely be better received.

WP has a major app issue too. I wouldn't say it has close to "most" apps. It's biggest advantage is that it's still pursuing native development as of now. IMHO, of course.
    Marketing of both platforms is also atrocious which is a huge factor IMO. This can also be applied to any Android OEM not named Samsung. Maybe marketing is the biggest driver?
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    04-28-15 12:14 PM
    Please excuse my ignorance here, but could he possibly mean making the OS app agnostic therefore paving the way for developers to make such app's available? Possibly throwing a little bit of money into the pot to make it happen as well?
    They tried that a couple times already, they aren't interested.
    04-28-15 01:07 PM
    Marketing of both platforms is also atrocious which is a huge factor IMO. This can also be applied to any Android OEM not named Samsung. Maybe marketing is the biggest driver?
    Sure is.
    04-28-15 03:00 PM
    Smartwatches are a perfect example of the limitation of platform agnostic apps. Does anyone really think that a smartwatch can possibly properly display an smartphone app without customization? And what smartphone platform or developer automatically configures itself for a smartwatch?
    No, but if you don't join the game to figure it out, guess who will be shut off from this market segment due to inferior ecosystem a few years from now?

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-28-15 04:52 PM
    Even if you are not too hot for qwerty's you can't disregard the Passport, pal.

That's being very shortsighted.
    Well, unless you're specifically after a PKB and a 1:1 aspect screen... Yes, consumers can disregard the Passport.

I certainly hope the new generation of apps thing means platform agnostic apps. Developers should be making apps that not only worked on any mobile phone but maybe also on smartwatches, TVs and other smart platforms with plug-ins.
    You shouldn't buy a phone looking at what apps you can get, but what phone you liked and fitted your needs and hands. If you needed a certain app you should be able to just download it, no need to worry if it fits your phone brand.
    Devs could even make more money as their products would hit a bigger user base.
    I mean look at HTML. What fun we would have if certain parts of the Internet only worked on PCs and other parts only on Macs.
    Apps should be about providing a functionality to the user nomatter where he wants that functionality to be executed.
    I work in IT and I work daily with services. They provide a functionality nomatter where you call them from or from what platform. They don't care. Apps should conceptually work the same way.
    Just hope that's where we're going and that good old BlackBerry would be leading the way

ოო fяσм му мιgнту ραѕѕρσят ოო
    This was discussed to death after Chen's "app neutrality" plea to the government. Until there is a way to optimize platform agnostic apps to run on any screen size, resolution, and aspect ratio, with just about any hardware backing it (CPU/GPU/RAM) and plays nice with all OS's, all while preserving optimum battery life... Native apps are the way to go. Native currently offers the best overall user experience.

Universal coding means coding to the lowest common denominator, which clearly leaves too much potential on the table for hardware vastly more capable. All of this excluding integration of unique hardware, like utilizing unique features or sensors, such as heartbeat monitors or fingerprint scanners, or curved edge screens, etc etc etc.

As far as "Devs could even make more money as their products would hit a bigger user base." App developers already hit over 90% of the global smartphone market by developing for two platforms... and offering superior native experiences to these two platforms.
    mornhavon likes this.
    04-28-15 05:02 PM
    That assertion is hilarious! Consumers disregard the Passport everyday... even on Crackberry. Don't have $600 up front for a smartphone? Doesn't work on Verizon/Sprint? Disregard.
    04-28-15 05:17 PM
    That assertion is hilarious! Consumers disregard the Passport everyday... even on Crackberry. Don't have $600 up front for a smartphone? Doesn't work on Verizon/Sprint? Disregard.
    Being able to do something has never been equivalent to being right.
    04-28-15 08:30 PM
    So customers of Verizon and Sprint who disregard the Passport because it doesn't work on their chosen network are "wrong?"
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    04-28-15 10:29 PM
    So customers of Verizon and Sprint who disregard the Passport because it doesn't work on their chosen network are "wrong?"
    What a moronic statement. Please tell me more about how people should or should not pick devices that do not work on their carrier and how that applies to this conversation.
    04-29-15 09:23 AM
    I'm sure in a few years this will be commonplace, and my kids and future generations will wonder how we managed to get by without being able to make coffee/latte/cappuccino from PC/tablet/phone while laying in bed or from voice command while in our self-driving automated vehicles.
    Which app is going to take the stinky compost out to the bin in the rain? I'd pay 99� for that!
    04-29-15 10:50 AM
    Well, unless you're specifically after a PKB and a 1:1 aspect screen... Yes, consumers can disregard the Passport.

This was discussed to death after Chen's "app neutrality" plea to the government. Until there is a way to optimize platform agnostic apps to run on any screen size, resolution, and aspect ratio, with just about any hardware backing it (CPU/GPU/RAM) and plays nice with all OS's, all while preserving optimum battery life... Native apps are the way to go. Native currently offers the best overall user experience.

Universal coding means coding to the lowest common denominator, which clearly leaves too much potential on the table for hardware vastly more capable. All of this excluding integration of unique hardware, like utilizing unique features or sensors, such as heartbeat monitors or fingerprint scanners, or curved edge screens, etc etc etc.

As far as "Devs could even make more money as their products would hit a bigger user base." App developers already hit over 90% of the global smartphone market by developing for two platforms... and offering superior native experiences to these two platforms.
    Maybe BlackBerry could develop a great development environment that uses QT for cross-platform development that did some smart things to make developers' lives easier by enabling them to more easily build an app that works for iOS and Android (and BB10, Windows 10, etc.). Perhaps they could include some new frameworks for added security, invocation, hub integration (since hub will be available on other platforms soon), etc. Make it also work seamlessly for various device types, including smart watches, and any other connected device you can think of. BlackBerry wants to be the connecting fabric for IoT devices, but the most obvious connected devices are phones, tablets, and smart watches. If BB can somehow slide in by making compelling tools, it could instantly translate to sly BB10 support.

I know I'm being really optimistic here, but it'd really mean BlackBerry would be driving the concept of agnostic apps and providing a solution. These tools exist now, but maybe BB could fill in the gaps and make it an attractive proposition.
    04-29-15 12:39 PM
    Seems I have read many devs even still writing apps for BlackBerry state that until BlackBerry makes more system functions ( I can't remember what they call it) available to developers that it cripples function of their app. They would love to add (blank) the users request but just can't because they don't have access to part of the system. Seems they need to find a way to allow that without compromising security if it even would, I don't know.
    04-29-15 12:58 PM
    What a moronic statement. Please tell me more about how people should or should not pick devices that do not work on their carrier and how that applies to this conversation.

That's being very shortsighted.
    Last edited by jmr1015; 04-29-15 at 06:45 PM.
    04-29-15 03:20 PM
    That sounds amazing I wouldn't even have to get out of bed to start my morning joe

Posted via CB10
    Some useful IoT implementations right there ^...

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    04-29-15 06:34 PM
    Seems I have read many devs even still writing apps for BlackBerry state that until BlackBerry makes more system functions ( I can't remember what they call it) available to developers that it cripples function of their app. They would love to add (blank) the users request but just can't because they don't have access to part of the system. Seems they need to find a way to allow that without compromising security if it even would, I don't know.
    APIs...? :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-29-15 06:35 PM
    Something brewing.... hope it's not a disaster brewing.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 11:20 PM
    APIs...? :-)

•   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   •
    Yes
    04-30-15 09:13 AM
    Developers should be making apps that not only worked on any mobile phone but maybe also on smartwatches, TVs and other smart platforms with plug-ins.
    Actually, that is what Samsung is currently doing with Tizen.
    04-30-15 11:18 PM
    He said new interesting devices, and new types of apps can't discuss what we are doing beyond the amazon app store (meaning they could be trying to fix the app gap a little bit more. ) hmm interesting

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps a super app?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-30-15 11:23 PM
    He be breaking the hearts and minds of those shorting BB soon!
    04-30-15 11:28 PM
    He be breaking the hearts and minds of those shorting BB soon!
    "Coming soon."
    kbz1960, jmr1015 and mornhavon like this.
    05-01-15 03:18 AM
    Maybe BlackBerry could develop a great development environment that uses QT for cross-platform development that did some smart things to make developers' lives easier by enabling them to more easily build an app that works for iOS and Android (and BB10, Windows 10, etc.). Perhaps they could include some new frameworks for added security, invocation, hub integration (since hub will be available on other platforms soon), etc. Make it also work seamlessly for various device types, including smart watches, and any other connected device you can think of. BlackBerry wants to be the connecting fabric for IoT devices, but the most obvious connected devices are phones, tablets, and smart watches. If BB can somehow slide in by making compelling tools, it could instantly translate to sly BB10 support.

I know I'm being really optimistic here, but it'd really mean BlackBerry would be driving the concept of agnostic apps and providing a solution. These tools exist now, but maybe BB could fill in the gaps and make it an attractive proposition.
    My guess you are heading down the right path here...beyond the watch phenomenon happening right now, the automotive integration story is already in place with much richer opportunity to functionality that matters. The issue in this space with the auto manufacturers is that they cannot afford to have people making $35,000 purchasing decisions based on which phone integrates better with it because they have a phone preference. With QNX rapidly becoming the OS of choice in vehicles around the world, if they offered an agnostic ability to run and integrate Android or iOS applications in-car, this would a) strengthen the QNX Car 2.0 platform story b) offer a strong value proposition in the IoT marketplace as it continues to emerge c) BlackBerry 10 then could by virtue have similar capabilities to run any apps on their phones

Connect more dots from this article and extend it into the IoT marketplace...
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-...124123931.html

We are talking about an application hypervisor of sorts for the IoT marketplace...written to run on top of QNX...QNX is proven, secure, scalable...if this came to be, it could be a TREMENDOUS game-changer for QNX and IoT marketplace and the mobile application marketplace.
    05-05-15 01:01 PM
99 ... 234