So I checked out the lumia 800 at telus today. Overall I was impressed. I am saving up for a month or two and want to decide between a few phones. Right now I have the iphone but I'm not to impressed and kind of want a change from the whole only going through itunes crap.

The 800 wouldn't be my first choice as I am waiting for the lumia 900 for the bigger screen and if im not mistaken it is a little thinner to. The 800 felt really solid though which I like and am used to, actually felt just a little bit too thick but wouldn't bother me too much. The look of it is really nice, and I think it is the nicest designed phone out there right now. The screen feels smooth and looks great and the windows OS felt very good! I think it feels as smooth and fluid as even iOS which impressed me. I prefer the tile look as well. It is either this or wait for BB10 and see what it is like. These two are really the only ones I am interested in.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-14-12 11:53 PM
    I absolutely love the 800 we have in the office. It's rock solid. We haven't had to reboot it once other than updates. Multiple people use it and we've never had to clear the browser's cache or any nonsense like that. I don't even know how to do a "secure wipe" on it, and I'm quite glad I don't need to know.

And yes, it is every bit as fluid and silky as iOS. I'm so happy to see another company nail those little details like that. That's very important.

The development environment is also quite a pleasure to work with. We'll see now if they can figure out how to sell this thing. The product is very good, even excellent, but it's not worth too much of our time until they figure out how to get some market share.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out over the next couple of quarters.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 03-15-12 at 12:28 AM.
    shn'g likes this.
    03-15-12 12:25 AM
    I absolutely love the 800 we have in the office. It's rock solid. We haven't had to reboot it once other than updates. Multiple people use it and we've never had to clear the browser's cache or any nonsense like that. I don't even know how to do a "secure wipe" on it, and I'm quite glad I don't need to know.

And yes, it is every bit as fluid and silky as iOS. I'm so happy to see another company nail those little details like that. That's very important.

The development environment is also quite a pleasure to work with. We'll see now if they can figure out how to sell this thing. The product is very good, even excellent, but it's not worth too much of our time until they figure out how to get some market share.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out over the next couple of quarters.
    thanks for responding i appreciate it! this is exactly the type of feedback I want.. I realize I probably should be in windows phone forums but wanted to see what other people thought to.
    03-15-12 12:56 AM
    Totally agree. I find myself popping into a Nokia store everytime i walk pass one just to check out the Lumia 800. hahaha. Very nice user interface. IMO almost as smooth and fluid as iOS. Microsoft really did a great job with Metro UI. Though personally i prefer the size of the 800 though, 900 a bit too big for my liking. Plus, there's Nokia Maps, Drive and all those other Nokia apps that makes the Mango 7.5 OS that much more worth it. I can't even get Blackberry podcasts, news in my country, let alone BlackBerry Travel for crying out loud. Also Nokia is great at advertising their products. RIM could learn a few things from the Finns.
    03-15-12 01:19 AM
    Microsoft really did a great job with Metro UI. Though personally i prefer the size of the 800 though, 900 a bit too big for my liking.
    Yes, I definitely agree with that. The 900 is too big. The 800 is the ideal size I think.
    03-15-12 01:22 AM
    The Lumia 800 is the first WP7 smartphone that actually made ppl be aware of the OS. Windows Phone OS is not bad at all. It runs so smooth and very efficient on older hardware. But Microsoft has the problem to create new image for the brand. Many ppl don't even bother to try WP7x out, because it reminds them of Windows, LOL. I only have two friends who are using WP7.5 phones. I see nothing wrong with the OS, with few more tweaks and adding more contents to the OS they will do great. But Microsoft building so many changes in their entire products line, this is not easy for a company. If everything stays like:
    RIM: efficient, secure communication
    MS: cheap, mass access
    Google: personal services provider
    Apple: fool-proof multimedia consumption

I would be happy because there are still different products to choose from.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    03-15-12 01:30 AM
    I've had the HTC Radar for a few weeks now, and I'm very favorably impressed. MS did the right thing by building the OS from the ground up instead of simply imitating something else or tweaking it's previous, and failed, WinMo. And their efforts to get developers interested seem to be paying off. The WP Marketplace is growing fast. I'm seeing regular updates to the apps that I have installed, too. Netflix is there; Kindle is there; Skype (beta) is there. I don't care about Netflix or Skype, myself, but people want them. If BB10 can't make these things available at launch, I think that's going to be a problem. Hopefully, they're lining up the ducks now.

Strategically, the partnership with Nokia is what will beef up their market share. Nokia's future is on the line, and they're putting everything into it. The only reason I didn't try a Nokia is I wanted the better battery life of the Radar (and its battery life is excellent).

WP is not yet as full-featured as BBOS. It's severely lacking in the area of notifications, for example. But what it does, it does well, with great attention to fluidity and a pleasing user experience. That goes a long way.
    03-15-12 09:23 AM
    Yes, it is nice and it's on my list for phones I'm doing research on for my upcoming upgrade. Decisions, decisions lots of nice phone out there
    03-15-12 09:38 AM
    To do a wipe on all WP7 phones 1 of 2 ways. 1 go to settings, about, and do a reset from there, or go to windowslive and choose windows phone and login under what the phone account is setup under and you can locate, have the phone admit a tone for 2 minutes if youforgot where you put it, lock the device, and do a secure wipe.
    03-15-12 10:20 AM
    I've had the HTC Radar for a few weeks now, and I'm very favorably impressed. MS did the right thing by building the OS from the ground up instead of simply imitating something else or tweaking it's previous, and failed, WinMo. And their efforts to get developers interested seem to be paying off. The WP Marketplace is growing fast. I'm seeing regular updates to the apps that I have installed, too. Netflix is there; Kindle is there; Skype (beta) is there. I don't care about Netflix or Skype, myself, but people want them. If BB10 can't make these things available at launch, I think that's going to be a problem. Hopefully, they're lining up the ducks now.

Strategically, the partnership with Nokia is what will beef up their market share. Nokia's future is on the line, and they're putting everything into it. The only reason I didn't try a Nokia is I wanted the better battery life of the Radar (and its battery life is excellent).

WP is not yet as full-featured as BBOS. It's severely lacking in the area of notifications, for example. But what it does, it does well, with great attention to fluidity and a pleasing user experience. That goes a long way.
    i thought the poor battery life on the lumia 800 initially was due to software. I read that the new update fixed that and battery was more than doubled.
    03-15-12 12:25 PM
    Wow. Makes it sound good. Not buying I love my torch 8-)
    03-15-12 12:58 PM
    i thought the poor battery life on the lumia 800 initially was due to software. I read that the new update fixed that and battery was more than doubled.
    Yes, I've read the same. The battery on the 800 is 1450 mAh, compared to 1520 on the Radar, but the 800 has 1.4 Ghz processor, compared to the Radar's 1 Ghz. In contrast, the Lumia 710 has the same capacity battery as the BB 9900, and that's not enough power for the job.

To keep this thread at least tangentially relevant to BB, I think it's significant how well the seamless Apple ecosystem, bridging phones, ipods, and computers, has done. While some people hate this, clearly plenty like it. They've brought the "app" concept to computers. Android doesn't have quite the same span, but the integration of Google services on Android phones is the same idea. MS is following suit with WP's Metro interface, soon to be part of Windows 8, and integrated cloud services with Office and Skydrive. Increasingly, end users are choosing more than a phone; they're choosing an environment in which to remain, whether on a mobile device or computer.

The "platform" is turning into a network, and people will start to make choices based on what each network offers, rather than just what the device offers. RIM will need to have its own network of cloud services, fully integrated with PB and BB, up to speed in order to offer a strong alternative to the others. MS clearly gets this.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-15-12 01:13 PM
    Lumia family is the best. I am very impressed also!
    03-15-12 01:18 PM
    Yes, I've read the same. The battery on the 800 is 1450 mAh, compared to 1520 on the Radar, but the 800 has 1.4 Ghz processor, compared to the Radar's 1 Ghz. In contrast, the Lumia 710 has the same capacity battery as the BB 9900, and that's not enough power for the job.

To keep this thread at least tangentially relevant to BB, I think it's significant how well the seamless Apple ecosystem, bridging phones, ipods, and computers, has done. While some people hate this, clearly plenty like it. They've brought the "app" concept to computers. Android doesn't have quite the same span, but the integration of Google services on Android phones is the same idea. MS is following suit with WP's Metro interface, soon to be part of Windows 8, and integrated cloud services with Office and Skydrive. Increasingly, end users are choosing more than a phone; they're choosing an environment in which to remain, whether on a mobile device or computer.

The "platform" is turning into a network, and people will start to make choices based on what each network offers, rather than just what the device offers. RIM will need to have its own network of cloud services, fully integrated with PB and BB, up to speed in order to offer a strong alternative to the others. MS clearly gets this.
    I see. Cool, good to know. I'll keep that in mind if i do decide to get a WP to try it out. I haven't really checked out the specs on those WP7.5 phones yet. I'm not the type to care that much about performance specs, as long as the OS feels smooth and snappy, i'm good to go. The only spec i care about is battery.
    03-15-12 02:03 PM
    Yea same. I have to be with BB for two reasons:

1. Work demands one (sorry iphone and android.. You are too distracting)
    2. Personal Need. I get a lot of emails daily and I need to reply to them. Family is on bbm and Facebook and twitter is good enough with so little data usage.

Phone looks cool but doesn't fit everyone's use.
    03-15-12 02:07 PM
    Hey can anyone who has a window's phone tell me how you transfer files to it!? Does it have wifi sharing like playbook.. Cause that might make my decision wether I wait for BB10
    03-15-12 05:20 PM
    I just made the move to WP7 again after having a Samsung Focus on AT&T. I really like the OS and how it looks and operates. So far, I have just hooked it up to my Mac, and used the Windows Phone 7 Connector for Mac. I loaded some custom ringtones and a few pictures and movies. Was simple. The program for the Mac is much like WP7, very easy to use. I know that on the PC, you can use the Zune software to transfer files.
    03-15-12 06:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD