My parents recently moved halfway around the world (seriously) and, while I have Skype on my home computer I was wondering if there was a cheap way of calling from my Blackberry Pearl... I like the chance to call them on my way home, for example, or if I'm at work and not near my home computer.

Any ideas? I saw that Sprint is $4 a month for the ability to make international calls, but calling to that country is still 24 cents a minute (or around that much). Are calling cards the cheapest way to go? Will they work with the Pearl if I don't have the $4/month international call fee being taken out? There's no way to use Skype on the Blackberry for calling them, is there, without being charged?

Oh and changing my phone/carrier isn't an option...
    10-16-08 04:50 PM
    Try iSkoot.com who were offering a cheap way of calling overseas. I say were because a search for iSkoot here will reveal that there was a problem with iSkoot this week.

FAiling that, it's Skype on the PC or cheap tariff calling.

I live in Switzerland an my son lives in Charlotte, NC so I kind of have the same problem and I have just told you what I do.

Generally I try to avoid calling from my cell-phone because the tariffs are that much higher.
    10-16-08 05:00 PM
    I have that $4 calling plan and its been working great for me the phone cards were no good for me.
    10-16-08 05:06 PM
    Try a program called EQO.

Here's the wireless link to it:

http://wireless.getjar.com/mobile/products/11966/EQO

When I had it on my phone it was 10 cents a minute for long distance, which is done over VOIP. Plus it has free text messages if you don't have a text plan.

Another good thing about it is that they give you a 2 dollar credit on your account and after that you just load your account with how ever much you want.

Let me know if this helps you!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-08 05:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD