I'm trying to get hip on the "blackberry as GPS" thing, but am a little confused.

I would be happy to try Garmin, Telenav, or other options (besides VZ nav)... but am finding incredibly few posts. Many are from 10 months ago, so I assume that those are dated by now.

For starters, I'd like to try Bing or Google Maps ... which I suspect will be a far more primitive option.

With Bing maps, it tells me to turn location mode to "on". I have, and I continue to get that warning message.

So, any tips on getting a usable gps type solution going? ...going from cheapest to most expensive?

I'm on Verizon, so I'm not sure that they'd allow me to use the Garmin, Telenav, or other GPS alternatives.

Thanks
    Kelton
    06-22-10 10:04 AM
    Well... I answered my own question about turning the location mode to "on".

It is in the options--->Advanced--->GPS--> and then look for that section that says "911 only" (the "911 only", for some reason, caused me to avoid poking around there)

Now, I'm seeing that Bing only gives text directions without attempting to follow the car as you move. I think.

Just to be sure, so Bing requires that you read the directions as you drive?

OK... I'm still curious about the Garmin type option.
    How well does it work compared to a stand alone option?
    What happens when I receive a phone call? Often I am on the phone while still needing the directions.

Thanks
    Kelton
    06-22-10 10:15 AM
    I am using Google Maps. It doesn't have turn by turn, or spoken directions, however, it does a great job on Traffic delays in major metro areas. I believe the only way to get text to speech with Google Maps is to be on Android.

To my knowledge you can buy and use Garmin's software on VZW.
    06-22-10 10:16 AM
    Note that this is for the Tour/9630, but should be relevant

I've tried a bunch of these applications, and honestly the Tour is *not* the optimal platform for turn-by-turn directions.

Why?

For one, the screen resolution is too high.

Second, the device gets VERY hot. There is a temperature sensor which shuts down things, notably battery charging.

Third, for $99+ (cost of the application), you can buy a dedicated GPS device with no monthly fees.

Finally, if you receive a call, data shuts off, rendering the map application somewhat less helpful.
    Last edited by lindros2; 06-22-10 at 10:55 AM.
    06-22-10 10:34 AM
    Thanks!

So, I'm assuming that Google maps is roughly equal to Bing maps... it just draws out a map for you or gives you a written description of your route and the rest is up to you.

You, lindros, might be right about the separate GPS as the optimal solution.

It's just one of those things... wanting to get rid of my pile of electronics and cords... would love to have it all in my phone.

Android might be a good solution eventually. I just played with an EVO... very, very cool... but the basic functions (contacts, email, texting, BBM, etc.) still seems far more efficiently performed on the blackberry... and can all be done entirely with one hand.

Looking forward to 6.0 or the next generation of androids with a real deal keyboard.

Guess I'll just look for a decent GPS in the low $100's

Kelton
    06-22-10 11:21 AM
    What I did is entered into the telmap user group and used the bold 9700 version it works like its supposed to but takes getting used to and its free. Just google it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-10 11:24 AM
    Thanks!

So, I'm assuming that Google maps is roughly equal to Bing maps... it just draws out a map for you or gives you a written description of your route and the rest is up to you.

You, lindros, might be right about the separate GPS as the optimal solution.

It's just one of those things... wanting to get rid of my pile of electronics and cords... would love to have it all in my phone.

Android might be a good solution eventually. I just played with an EVO... very, very cool... but the basic functions (contacts, email, texting, BBM, etc.) still seems far more efficiently performed on the blackberry... and can all be done entirely with one hand.

Looking forward to 6.0 or the next generation of androids with a real deal keyboard.

Guess I'll just look for a decent GPS in the low $100's

Kelton
    06-22-10 11:38 AM
    Kelton - Google Maps will give you the option of actually mapping the route and each turn is marked. (Not just a list of directions) You can track your progress on the map - your movement is tracked with a blue arrow. Give it a try.

If you need to use a GPS frequently or spend a lot of time of the phone when driving then a separate unit is much easier and safer. I have tried it both ways. Unfortunately, my 2 year old Garmin needs maps updated every year...for about $70 a pop. VZW Navigator and Google Maps update monthly.
    06-22-10 12:49 PM
    I have the Garmin app, it works well on Tour/Bold. It was a freebie.
    Last edited by plkcable; 06-22-10 at 12:59 PM.
    06-22-10 12:52 PM
    I have used the Garmin on my Tour and probably will move it (with Garmin's help) to the Bold if it arrives today. It does audible turn-by-turn. There was a discount from Blackberry Lounge at one time (a Rim site). Life in Pocket also can provide spoken instructions and it free.

Frankly, a separate auto-oriented gps provides a larger screen and in many cases a better experience. It has the maps on board so you don't need data (and phone calls don't interfere with it).
    06-22-10 02:28 PM
    I have the Garmin app, it works well on Tour/Bold. It was a freebie.
    Freebie? Do tell how!
    06-22-10 02:32 PM
    a separate auto-oriented gps provides a larger screen and in many cases a better experience. It has the maps on board so you don't need data (and phone calls don't interfere with it).
    I'm getting a nuvi today, like you said larger screen, and the one Im getting does BT hands-free calling
    06-22-10 02:35 PM
    Does the Garmin for BB (or VZW Navigator) allow one to use a split screen? In other words, talk on the phone and still see the map? (even if the map isn't updating during the call) - that way you don't need to toggle between 2 apps. It would seem like a possible VZW solution to combat ATT's ability to do data and voice simultaneously.
    Just my $0.02
    06-23-10 09:25 AM
    I'm getting a nuvi today, like you said larger screen, and the one Im getting does BT hands-free calling
    Enjoy it. I've got a few years old TomTom and it works splendidly. Last summer in Europe my friends were enchanted with its abilities (I won't mention placing the wrong hotel's wrong address for the Munich airport story!!!). We loved the advanced notice of turns and showing which town we were in. I've, of course, used it in the the USA, too. It does have BT and copies contacts to the device. It will also call points-of-interest (poi) using the BB. Now that I think about it, I have to add the Bold.
    06-23-10 10:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD