I have a 8300 and my charging port has broke *HATE IT* because I will no longer be able to add music to my phone. Sprint wants me to pay $100 bucks for a new one which is crazy cause it's an old phone so I am waiting until July to use my upgrade and get the Tour or something.

However, I have received the charging dock for the 8300 in the mail today. I plug it into my charger and the blackberry white light comes on BUT when I sit my phone on the dock it doesn't seem as if it's charging and the usually sign of charging (next to battery) doesn't come up, not sure if its suppose to with dock, but why isn't it working?

I have had it on for some time now to no avail and the dock fits the phone great and is touching the gold things in the back?
    04-30-10 04:04 PM
    It sounds like the charging dock is powered and that you have your phone inserted correctly. Does Options / Status show any change in the charge level?
    04-30-10 04:17 PM
    No change at all....when I used to charge my phone (before port broke) it would show something next to battery to indicate its charging but now with dock it doesn't show that so I am wondering does it suppose to show that?
    04-30-10 04:44 PM
    Contacts clean on both the phone and the charger?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-10 04:44 PM
    The charger is BRAND new I mean just came in mail today. On my phone I am not sure they are completely clean had a couple drops, etc before I got case but been having case on for such a long time....if not clean how to do so?
    04-30-10 04:49 PM
    Maybe you could see if the dock has a way to charge the battery by itself. If so then just pull it out, charge it up, then put it back in.
    04-30-10 05:54 PM
    The dock doesn't charge just the battery I believe, it charges by charging the 2 gold things on back of curve
    04-30-10 06:13 PM
    You can safely clean the contacts by lightly scuffing them with a rubber pencil eraser.

04-30-10 06:17 PM
    I tried cleaning with eraser, to no avail?
    04-30-10 07:08 PM
    Back to your original post: are you sure the charging port is broken? What happened to it? Is it possible your battery is defective?
    04-30-10 08:03 PM
    I dont think my charging port is broken its brand new I was wondering how can the gold things be defective since that what it seems is the issue
    04-30-10 08:15 PM
    In your first post, you said the charging port on your 8300 was broken. That's what I was referring to. How did that happen? Could the battery have been damaged as well?
    04-30-10 08:28 PM
    Oh the battery isn't damaged. The reason I have been using my phone the past couple days is by switching batteries with my lil bro who has a upgraded version of BB and I let him charge my battery when mine get low
    04-30-10 09:17 PM
    Have you tried different cables with the dock (ac vs. computer-usb) just to make sure one of the cables isn't causing the problem? Also, if your dock is anything like my 8330 dock, the BB has to be slightly leaning back; if phone is too upright I get no charge. Good luck!
    04-30-10 10:20 PM
    Yup, I tried wall, computer, and car and all result in no results. I am sure I have the same dock you have being the model you have. I don't know I just will go with the gold things are too damaged which I don't see how that happened, that sucks
    04-30-10 11:13 PM
    If it turns out to be the Curve you could try searching on eBay for a good used one.
    04-30-10 11:39 PM
    Check the battery contacts themselves inside the phone. One could have gotten bent during a battery pull? Or got debris on it? Hope this helps.

04-30-10 11:46 PM
    I would try ebay but I would have to deal with if Sprint will let me turn it on, then the Email situation if someone have attached a email to the Pin #, etc which will be a huge pain if I bought one that doesn't work.

The contact inside are in working condition so nothing there
    05-01-10 09:58 AM
    Guidelines for prolonging lithium-ion battery life

Lithium-ion batteries should never be depleted below their minimum voltage (2.4 to 2.8 V/cell, depending on chemistry). If a lithium-ion battery is stored with too low a charge, there is a risk that the charge will drop below the low-voltage threshold, resulting in an unrecoverable dead battery. Usually this does not instantly damage the battery itself but a charger or device which uses that battery will refuse to charge a dead battery. The battery appears to be dead or not existent because the protection circuit disables further discharging and there is zero voltage on the battery terminals.
    Lithium-ion batteries should be kept cool. They may be stored in a refrigerator.
    Lithium-ion batteries degrade much faster if stored in high-temperature areas
    As it happens, I have just used this quote in a similar battery issue thread.

As a test, can you swap in your Brothers battery to verify the charger is working correctly? If so, a replacement battery is your solution.
    05-01-10 11:25 AM
    The dock will not charge with any battery. I change batteries nightly to get my battery charged in my brother phone using his wall charger which is how I continue to use my phone up to this point. I am guessing the gold things that the dock use to charge the phone are damaged which is weird but I don't see any other reason for it not working
    05-01-10 11:47 AM
    If you find your phone will not charge with the charging pod you could buy a spare battery and an external charger similar to the one listed below. Good luck.

Amazon.com: External Battery Charger for Blackberry Pearl 8100 / 8110 / 8120 / 8130 / 8220 Pearl Flip / 7100g / 7100r / 7100t / 7100v / 7100x / 8700g / 8700c / 8703e / Curve 8300 / 8310 / 8320 / 8330: Cell Phones & Service
    05-01-10 12:25 PM
    Are you sure you purchased and recieved the correct charging pod for the model of your phone? I almost purchased the wrong one until I realized there was a difference between them. I have a 9700 which charges from the sides.
    05-01-10 01:05 PM
    Its the correct pod I am sure of that
    05-01-10 01:24 PM
    jstoltz I went ahead and purchased it just a few minutes ago. I had looked at buying it yesterday but was looking for solution when I was unable to find one I just went ahead and paid for yet another product good thing this will work no matter what
    05-01-10 04:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD