Back in the day, you were quite something if you had a BlackBerry.
    I seriously doubt having a BlackBerry made anyone "quite something".
    I think it was the other way round people that were "quite something" sometimes had BlackBerry's.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    07-21-15 01:39 PM
    Still think the whole transition was a mistake. BlackBerry should have set and stuck to a hardware minimum requirement and they should he built devices to meet that requirement that ran BBOS and could be upgraded to BB10.

It would be like Dell selling a PC that was running Windows 8.1, but it couldn't be upgraded to Windows 10.... sales would fall as the release date neared. But then the date gets moved back, and moved back.... All the while HP would be selling their Windows 8.1 PC that could be upgraded.

That would have helped BBOS sales as the launch neared, it would have helped keep some corporate customers, and it would have given Developers a much bigger potential users based to think about.

Now I know it would have made those BBOS devices more expensive and BlackBerry would have had to eat a loss on them (just part of the transition), and I know that the 2 GB was a problem.... but that is what they needed to have done IMHO.
    I totally agree with this if and only if BBOS could have been configured to run Android apps and BBW would have had Android apps in 2010-11. The other issue would have been to develop a really good all touch BBOS device in the first place.

The eco system needed to be in place and capable of transferring to the next OS.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 01:50 PM
    Invested in a quality software division

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 02:26 PM
    All went downhill from 2011 onwards. BBOS7 phones should have been scrapped, and in 2011 the PlayBook, along with PBOS 2.1 should have been released along with Z10 and Q10 phones running a phone version of PBOS. Consumer perception and confidence in RIM was still very high in 2011 (really, all the way up until the Amateur Hour disaster that was the Playbook) and they were shipping more devices than ever in their history.
    07-21-15 02:34 PM
    I said this at the time, am on record here somewhere saying it and will say it again for the record.

I thought BlackBerry made the right decision to change the CEO's in Jan 2012, but that they made a TERRIBLE decision promoting from within, I had thought all along BlackBerry needed to go outside the company and find someone who could make the tough decisions that ultimately were delayed by promoting Heins.

In retrospect, imagine if BlackBerry could have brought in a Chen-like individual back then.
    07-21-15 02:52 PM
    One of the easiest thing for them to have ensured customer retention was to offer a nice discount on BB10 devices at launch for existing BlackBerry clients, this when BlackBerry still had a good market share..
    Also, getting somebody like Bryan Adams (or atleast trying to) as their brand ambassador would have been a lot better than getting that lady (forgot her name)..
    People are often amazed at how easily and quickly I can get work done on my Passport, most would love to buy it and have the money to do it, but the negativity around the brand, unavailability of the devices in stores or unclear company strategy on the consumer market puts most people off.

Posted via CB10
    Bryan Adams? You have to be Canadian lol

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 05:37 PM
    I seriously doubt having a BlackBerry made anyone "quite something".
    I think it was the other way round people that were "quite something" sometimes had BlackBerry's.
    In other words, they were in style.
    Hope that clarifies it for anyone that misunderstand.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-21-15 05:48 PM
    I said this at the time, am on record here somewhere saying it and will say it again for the record.

I thought BlackBerry made the right decision to change the CEO's in Jan 2012, but that they made a TERRIBLE decision promoting from within, I had thought all along BlackBerry needed to go outside the company and find someone who could make the tough decisions that ultimately were delayed by promoting Heins.

In retrospect, imagine if BlackBerry could have brought in a Chen-like individual back then.
    Only if are looking to change the focus of your company to software. Chen's comments about smartphones, enterprise phones and PKB's leads me to believe that he is not a hardware guy.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 06:03 PM
    Requiring 2 separate servers for IT guys to manage upgrading to BB10 while phasing out BB7. Giving IT staff extra work made it easier for firms to go BYOD
    I said this back when Mobile Fusion was released for PlayBook and stated that the two server solution was going to be a non starter for that, and when they kept it with BES10 it was just as foolish. Others said it was fine and IT person shouldn't have any issues. History has shown the two server solution was stupid. If people have to bring up a new server, then why not try someone else's solution and have a bake off. Same for a transition to another phone, if you have to do all that stuff to transition to BB10 with no apps, then why not look at what it takes to transition to iPhone and all those apps.

Posted via Z30
    07-21-15 07:46 PM
    They should have told Verizon NO to releasing an all touch device (The Storm) so soon to counter the iPhone. That new book makes it clear, that:
    Verizon
    BlackBerry
    And all customers that bought one...

regretted it.
    07-21-15 08:01 PM
    We can say they should have kept running the old BlackBerry OS but it had run into a wall being based on java.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 08:04 PM
    Granted, BB10 was (and is) never going to be a clone of BBOS, but if it had come closer to feature parity, the initial uptake might have been tens of millions stronger.
    I think Crackberry has always overestimated the BBOS7 user base's brand loyalty.

BBRY was never widely perceived as a software company and in a way it was just another HTC, LG, or Samsung in an era without Android or other sophisticated mobile OSes.

When BBRY tried to go against the Windows of smartphones and be something that it wasn't, most of its former users did not consider it as a seriously contender and went to another, replaceable OEM.

Ultimately, BB OS7 users would have probably passingly considered a BBRY Android device but they were not going to dive headfirst and trust BBRY's pet project against established ecosystems.

It's the jist of BBRY, Nokia, and Palm's problems. They all tried to be something they weren't (Apple) and they were all punished accordingly. Samsung realized it's strengths as well as its weaknesses and hopped on the Android train early and it was rewarded for its efforts.
    07-21-15 08:09 PM
    Still think the whole transition was a mistake. BlackBerry should have set and stuck to a hardware minimum requirement and they should he built devices to meet that requirement that ran BBOS and could be upgraded to BB10.
    I'm not sure if you realize what you're asking, but that's kind of like asking for a car with a steam-powered engine, using coal as fuel, would be upgradable to using gasoline (or a gas engine able to run on coal dust) - there's simply no way BBOS could have been made compatible with new, modern hardware while still being backward-compatible with the older hardware, and it would make zero sense to invest 3 years of development time to radically update BBOS only to replace it with something modern. A transition was absolutely necessary.

And, IMO, while transitions are difficult, BB had a real chance to pull it off, but it would have meant starting work on (what became) BB10 by November 2007 - i.e., within a month of the release of the iPhone. Had they released BB10 in 2010, even very rough around the edges, as 10.0 was when it shipped, people would have given BB a LOT more leeway and benefit of the doubt that the problems would be resolved and the ecosystem issues reasonably resolved.

By waiting 3 years to even BEGIN the process, and then wasting time on a tablet with no apps (not even internal apps!) using a different version of the OS than what they'd use for phones, they completely squandered their opportunity to be competitive in the market. That was Mike L's tunnel vision at work.
    07-21-15 08:22 PM
    I think #1 gets the blue ribbon. It just took too long to get BB10 going. I also think the PlayBook was a distraction at a time when everything should have been focused on getting BB10 on phones and getting them out the door.

A point that hasn't been mentioned is: The BB10 development team should have had as a priority from day 1 the preservation of as many BBOS features as possible. We've since been told that BB10 developers had little contact with BBOS. This mistake resulted in an OS that failed to attract the vast majority of BBOS users. Granted, BB10 was (and is) never going to be a clone of BBOS, but if it had come closer to feature parity, the initial uptake might have been tens of millions stronger. That could have made a difference in a lot of ways, especially to prospective BB10 developers.
    BBOS didn't grow to 80 Million users do to features, and it wasn't the lack of those features in BB10 that prevented uptake. BBOS grew to 80 Million users with cheap phones, with cheap plans in poor countries with horrible networks. They were losing customers in developed countries to Apple and high/mid Android. IOS took the high end market from them with apps. Android took the low end market from them with cheap Chinese phones that could deliver apps, and the networks and data plans in those countries got better and cheaper. I used BBOS from 2008 through to Z10, and I wasn't missing any feature and never wanted to touch a slow lagging, spinning clock and app-less BBOS device ever again and I was using high end BBOS devices and not the god awful 85xx or 92xx devices they were pushing in "emerging" markets. There are very few here even on CrackBerry that think BBOS was better in any way. Look how Chen's Classic is doing for proof. BlackBerry needed the new OS out when they launched the PlayBook. They needed to put in a Man to the Moon level of effort on the new OS to hit deadlines and get it to market and instead put in a Bay of Pigs level of effort and planning and they are reaping the rewards of their poorly level of effort.

Posted via Z30
    07-21-15 08:55 PM
    While entering touchscreen market late is foregiveable, management's initial arrogance towards its competitors set themselves up for a major downfall as the Media does not forget. HTC and Sony have had their huge share of mistakes and missed opportunities but the media IMO has a softer stance on these two companies. I can even go as far as the media can't wait to write about negative BlackBerry news.
    07-22-15 02:22 AM
    from the wiki:
    <With its capacitive touchscreen and consumer-friendly design, the iPhone fundamentally changed the mobile industry, with Steve Jobs proclaiming in 2007, that the phone was not just a communication tool but a way of life.>

poetic.
    Exactly and now they are embedded into everyday culture here in the USA and if your device is not using either iOS or Android and if it doesn't support Google play services, nobody will buy it, period.
    07-22-15 03:44 AM
    Bryan Adams? You have to be Canadian lol

Posted via CB10
    nope, from India, but he is very popular in Asia..

Posted via CB10
    07-22-15 09:41 PM
    I'm not sure if you realize what you're asking, but that's kind of like asking for a car with a steam-powered engine, using coal as fuel, would be upgradable to using gasoline (or a gas engine able to run on coal dust) - there's simply no way BBOS could have been made compatible with new, modern hardware while still being backward-compatible with the older hardware, and it would make zero sense to invest 3 years of development time to radically update BBOS only to replace it with something modern. A transition was absolutely necessary.
    Wow, this is news to me. I actually thought making bb10 compatible with android apps was a more difficult challenge .

Posted via CB10
    07-22-15 09:54 PM
    Wow, this is news to me. I actually thought making bb10 compatible with android apps was a more difficult challenge .
    It must be remembered that BBOS grew from software originally designed for 2-way pagers - it had been pushed to its absolute limits by the time BBOS 7 rolled around - kind of like trying to build a modern car on top of a Model T chassis - at some point, you are held back so far by the legacy framework that you have to scrap it and start over with a modern design, and that's what BB10 was. Microsoft and Palm faced the same issue, which is why they too released new, incompatible OSs following the release of the iPhone.
    07-22-15 11:58 PM
    Not much they could've done but released bb10 much earlier or immediately after iphone launch.

Googles Eric Schmidt was on apples board during the creation of the iphone. He secretly begun the android team at Google to compete with apple. Blackberry was completely out of the picture and definitely gave the edge to the 2 giants they are today...

Posted via CB10
    07-23-15 12:30 AM
    Not much they could've done but released bb10 much earlier or immediately after iphone launch.

Googles Eric Schmidt was on apples board during the creation of the iphone. He secretly begun the android team at Google to compete with apple. Blackberry was completely out of the picture and definitely gave the edge to the 2 giants they are today...
    Android was purchased...

Google Buys Android for Its Mobile Arsenal - Businessweek

... but yes, Google changed the direction of the first Android phone based on what Apple released...
    07-23-15 01:23 PM
    Adopting Android from day one, customizing it into something resembling BB10 or better. Basically a stream lined, business oriented, security hardened version of Android. Would have halved their time to market, and even if their hardware tanked they possibly could have licensed their mods/apps to other manufacturers.
    07-25-15 01:40 PM
72 123