Can anyone tell me if there's a way I can keep my Blackberry chat contacts when changing to a new device.

My old device broke and I am trying to figure out if I'm going to have to pin all my contacts again to add them to Blackberry chat on my new device. Are there any painless and fast shortcuts to get this done?

Thanks!

08-04-08 09:43 AM
    I suppose the easiest way would be to simply back up your device via Desktop Manager. I lost all my contacts when I switched devices, but I only had two at that point, so I felt no need to back up, as I don't even talk to those contacts anymore. Worse case scenario, you could always write down the contacts with their PIN #s. Welcome to CB.
    08-04-08 09:44 AM
    You can use the switch device wizard (if your USB port still works) from desktop manager and it will move all of your data from one device to the next.

welcome to the forums.
    08-04-08 09:45 AM
    Ok great! I only recently started backing up my data on my desktop and wasn't sure if backups included BB Chat contacts.
    08-04-08 09:53 AM
    As long as you are not on a BES they will includes this. If you have wireless sync enabled with the BES it will not backup your contacts/calendar/tasks/memos/BBM contacts. To get around this delete the Desktop[SYNC] service book, backup (or use switch device wizard) and then restore. Then go in and undelete the service book.
    08-04-08 09:55 AM
    How do I delete the service book?
    08-04-08 10:37 AM
    options > advanced > service books > scroll to the book > menu > delete. to undelete, just go to options > advanced > service books > menu > undelete.
    08-04-08 10:38 AM
    Ok great, thanks!!
    08-04-08 10:46 AM
    not a problem at all. that service book is only there if you are on a BlackBerry server.
    08-04-08 10:51 AM
    I believe they will still have to add you again to their list since your PIN will change. It's kinda like you got a new number and they didn't. You have their number, but they don't have yours. So they will have to add u again.
    08-04-08 12:25 PM
    I used the swith Device Wizard. Pretty neat.
    08-05-08 06:02 AM
    I used the swith Device Wizard. Pretty neat.

Switch device wizard is the best if you're not familiar with service books of which you can learn in time.
    08-05-08 06:11 AM
    I believe they will still have to add you again to their list since your PIN will change. It's kinda like you got a new number and they didn't. You have their number, but they don't have yours. So they will have to add u again.
    Hmmmm.....I have had a couple of contacts in my bbm buddy list that have gotten new devices. Both of these people used the switch device wizard. SOMEHOW (don't ask me how) their NEW pins automatically replaced their old ones in MY buddy list...Basically, their changing device was totally transparent to their contacts. I never had to enter their new pins in mine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-08 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD