Hi,

I've had an 8900 for a couple of years and just ordered a 9900 to replace it. Same carrier (BT) and just swapping the SIM card over. However this got me thinking, what is the best way to move my contacts over from the old BB to the new one?

Bob.
    10-06-11 02:12 PM
    Google sync is best for me but if you don't use google then blackberry protect works great to backup contacts and then put them on the new device also.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-11 02:17 PM
    The DM software had a device swap option. Use that. It transfers your contacts and stuff over.

10-06-11 02:23 PM
    I recently switched devices too, and I had no issues letting the desktop manager take care of it.

Good luck,
    10-06-11 02:25 PM
    Google sync is best for me but if you don't use google then blackberry protect works great to backup contacts and then put them on the new device also.

I have had massive issues with duplicated contacts and alike, it might be best to try the BB Protect App... I have it backing up weekly, just never had to use it yet...
    10-06-11 02:26 PM
    I have had massive issues with duplicated contacts and alike, it might be best to try the BB Protect App... I have it backing up weekly, just never had to use it yet...
    Just use one or the other. I like google sync because it add contacts from my phone to my gmail account also. Bb protect just adds what you have on your phone and not on the email address book I use.

10-06-11 02:46 PM
    Agreed, what works for you

EDIT: Could be interesting to see how it functions backing up an OS6 device to a new OS7... Should be smoother than smooth I'd hope but I'd do a complete backup before upgrading or trying the merge feature in the BBDS. LOL.
    Last edited by ecarlin; 10-06-11 at 02:57 PM.
    10-06-11 02:55 PM
    + 1

Whenever I switch BBs I always use Device Swap via Desktop Manager and the transition has always been seamless. It transfers everything over including all of your apps.

The DM software had a device swap option. Use that. It transfers your contacts and stuff over.

10-06-11 04:01 PM
    Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to follow the Device Swap route on Desktop Manager. Just done a full back-up/sync on the old BB. Now waiting for the courier to knock on the door with the new one.

Will report back.

Bob.
    10-07-11 06:02 AM
    mine i use bb protect to restore contact ,calendar,task,text,memo its very easy and fast.
    I see another easy way to use switch device function which let you back up-restore with your sd card
    10-07-11 10:50 AM
    Be careful using the desktop manager swap feature with the 9900. Make sure you set up your BBID on your new device *first*, and also make sure you only copy over contact, calendar, etc.

There is a known problem using the device swap feature with DM for the 9900 that can screw up your 9900 if you don't do it exactly right.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9900-a-639185/
    10-07-11 11:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD