After exchanging 2 defective phones in less than 24 hours, my 3rd Bold (AT&T) is finally working well.

I have it working great on my WPA AES WiFi connection, but I notice that the default network name is:

BLACKBERRY-XXXX (where XXXX appears to be the last 4 digits of the BB PIN)

Does anyone know how to change the TCP/IP network name? I've poked around the WiFi menus, but don't see any options.

It isn't a big deal, but just curious.
    12-28-08 12:53 AM
    .....I notice that the default network name is:

BLACKBERRY-XXXX (where XXXX appears to be the last 4 digits of the BB PIN)

Does anyone know how to change the TCP/IP network name? I've poked around the WiFi menus, but don't see any options.

It isn't a big deal, but just curious.
    Has anyone figured out how to change this, I am stumped too. Any help would be great.
    02-23-09 08:07 PM
    This is normally determined from your router, not the Blackberry.

It *may* be that if you're hiding your SSID or something similar, the phone may give up trying to parse the SSID and give you a default one.
    02-23-09 09:22 PM

It *may* be that if you're hiding your SSID or something similar, the phone may give up trying to parse the SSID and give you a default one.
    Sorry I am referring to how various networks see my device. ie when I connect to my router through a computer and look at the connected devices it shows my various computers and then lists my blackberry as BLACKBERRY - xxxx.

However I can not find a way to stop my blackberry from showing this info to the networks it connects to.

Hopefully that makes sense.
    02-23-09 11:08 PM
    I don't believe this is something easy to change; the Bold ideally needs to pick a host name for itself, and that's the automatically generated one.
    02-24-09 02:35 AM
    You can change the name of the wifi network on your bb.

Menu - Options - Wi-Fi Connections - Highlight the wifi access point - Menu - Edit
    02-24-09 04:06 AM
    ST79 -- not quite what was asked for. This is the access point's name, not the actual name that the blackberry shows up as on the network.

On the blackberry's that I see connecting at work; they're all related to their PIN, which makes it easy to see who's still in the office, and no amount of searching so far enables me to change the device's wifi name. Weird..
    02-25-09 12:44 AM
    don't know if you've ever found an answer. i've looked up and down the bb config to see if i could find it, and got no where.

i hate seeing all those on the network of 200+ users, and i can't easily figure out who it is..

if you get it, let me know.
    05-05-09 03:41 PM
    I haven't found a way to do this either. My Blackberry shows up on the network as BLACKBERRY-BBF1 and I'd like to be able to change it.
    10-12-09 02:42 PM
    I hate to drag an old post back to life, but I'd also like to find a way to identify which Blackberry's are connected to our hotspot - the default name in no simple way let's me see who's got what IP.
    The Rocket Hub we are using doesn't allow us to map a MAC to an IP.
    07-08-10 09:27 AM
    I posted this in the Torch forum, but it seems appropriate here.
    First of all, this is about HOST NAME (the name that a router uses to identify the BB corresponding to the device MAC address), NOT wi-fi profile, SSID, Bluetooth name, or Network name - correct?

My BB: 9780
    My router: Cisco Linksys WRT54G-TM
    My Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/19/10) mega

As much as I tinkered, I couln't do this on stock WRT54Gx firmware. I don't know about other routers, but I suspect if you can set Static Leases it will work.
    First, the router must be your DHCP server.
    For DD-WRT, go to Services>Services and set up static leases for each BB (and/or other devices, but not necessary). You can put whatever you want in the Host Name for the Blackberry(s) such as BB9780JB-last4, don't try to customize the Host Name for PCs/other devices, you'll get an error. I think the reason this is possible is that the BB has no Host Name, so the router is creating a custom HN anyway.

This takes a bit of extra time but with a bonus; you can now set priorities by either MAC or IP.

PS: I'm not a hard-core geek, so I had someone flash DD-WRT for me on a second router.

-J
    Last edited by MyUsernameIsSecret; 02-01-11 at 03:44 PM.
    02-01-11 03:06 PM
    Sorry to bump an old thread but 1) I too wish there was a way to change the network name of my Blackberry device and 2) after Googling and landing here I feel someone needs to respond to this:

This is false.
    10-29-11 02:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD