Thanks Kevin. I haven't seen another site that exhibits your enthusiasm and love for a product. It definitely is what makes this a great site. The fact you posted on this thread also says a lot. That is most likely why we care enough to chime in as opposed to just leave.
    04-26-11 11:30 PM
    Very true deRusett and others, people have to report trolls who jump into legitimate support type questions, otherwise the signal to noise ratio gets way to low to even bother coming here when every question ends up in a fight.

I've only been using a BB for about 1.5 years, and a PB for a week or so, but the forums have gotten way worse than before, they used to helpful and fun to go to, now I find it way more work to separate the wheat from the chaff.

How about starting a "Battlefront" type forum like on arstechnica.com, it works pretty well there, if people post something in for example the Mac section and someone trolls it, they are reported or automatically told to take it to the Battlefront. All platfrorm contention can be taken posted there, but legitimate gripes about BB can still stay in the main PB or BB phone forums. Give the trolls a sandbox to play in so they don't **** in everyone else's sand
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-26-11 11:34 PM
    I must say all the trolling has decreased my visits to CB...I usually just check the homepage then logout....
    04-26-11 11:40 PM
    I agree with you.

I honestly think those who don't like RIM should be banned. I mean, I do understand you are allowed to express your opinion, but excuse me, this is for pro-Blackberry. If you're not one, then you're not supposed to be here.

People just want to ******* ruin it for us who enjoy everything Blackberry! Well **** you because that ain't gonna happen! @$$es!
    Or just dig a hole called the RIM Haters Hidey-Hole and let all the haters and trolls jump in and flame all they want in quarantine. ;D
    04-26-11 11:55 PM
    Seen Mark's similar post in the past about this and I have to agree with him. But to be honest, I get sick of the BB fanbois just as much as the RIM haters.

tl;dr - If you're gonna start reporting/banning, do it for RIM-haters & RIM-lovers; fanbois gunna be fanbois.
    I expect RIM fanbois here, but I also expect if they are, that their argument have substance.

You do know there's a difference between fanboys and trolls, right? The line can be thin sometimes though.
    It can be thin at times. I'd rather ya'll reported more than necessary though, and trust the mod team to know the difference.

This site is far to big, and fast moving, for us to catch all the trolltastic posts without member support. Don't feed them, it makes it damn difficult for us when you do. I've seen some great people/friends fall into that trap, and look the fool for it.

Thank you for weighing on on the Thread Kevin, I look forward to working with with you to address the forum issues!

Now to the posts about Mods, I really have nothing against ANY of the mods, for the most part though negative, Civic contributes valuable contrasting points of view to threads, I don't want a forum where everyone agrees all the time, AG as well, we butted heads, but I valued his contribution to the forums as a member and as a moderator.

Kevin is very much right that this is still the best Blackberry site, I have looked and read many other sites, and received 4 PIN's with alternative sites since posting I am looking, none yet are as attractive. I really hope that this discussion will spark some pro active action by the Moderation team, and with some new direction let's curb the Anti blackberry injections into threads, as well as educate the super Pro Blackberry users about the miss information they spread! It goes both ways as a community we need to bring the over all value up, kill the bb is for business xxxxx is a toy banter, kill the bb sucks because it is missing app xxxxx

Those like me who are upset, let us actively report posts, and give VALUABLE information when you report the thread "off topic / disruptive" "wrong forum" "duplicate thread". And such.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hear Hear bud! I came on board the modfia, with a personal commitment to making a positive difference. Shouldn't be any secret to you my love for CrackBerry, I definitely know yours. Having interacted with the mod team from the inside now for half a year, I can assure you all, there is not one among us who doesn't love this site, and want it a place for solid debate. I'm as optimistic about RIM's future as anyone. Too often lately a thread started to inspire discussion gets taken way out of context, and turns into a school yard peepee contest. I know I for one have been too patient at times. I'm not ready to trade my nerf gun for an M60, but if Kevin were to hand me some rubber bullets and tear gas.....
    rrrebo likes this.
    04-27-11 03:00 AM
    Perhaps there needs to be a few more "active" mods on the forums. I don't know how you guys run the forums(and I wont pretend to know either), but perhaps there should be some "undermods" for each section.

Basically the general mods have access to mod everywhere, and these "undermods" only have access to mod in their section. Every "undermod" has a section head they report certain things to. More of a hierarchy of modding.

I think this would go along way to help the mod team as well as the rampant trolling that has been going on lately.
    04-27-11 05:20 AM
    Here's my suggestion...Get rid of the Other Smartphone and Tablet Platforms section! At the top of every page on CB there are links to these platforms. If you have questions, GO THERE! Go to any of the other platform forums, Andriod Central, TiPb, and you won't find a BB forum. I think there are so many ex-BB/CB users who have switched platforms, and because there is a forum on CB for there device they come back. That's when the trolling starts. I never did understand why that section was in the forums, but I bet if it wasn't we would see a decline in the anti-BB comments.
    lnichols likes this.
    04-27-11 05:39 AM

This site is far to big, and fast moving, for us to catch all the trolltastic posts without member support. Don't feed them, it makes it damn difficult for us when you do. I've seen some great people/friends fall into that trap, and look the fool for it.

Hear Hear bud! I came on board the modfia, with a personal commitment to making a positive difference. Shouldn't be any secret to you my love for CrackBerry, I definitely know yours. Having interacted with the mod team from the inside now for half a year, I can assure you all, there is not one among us who doesn't love this site, and want it a place for solid debate.
    Perhaps there needs to be a few more "active" mods on the forums. I don't know how you guys run the forums(and I wont pretend to know either), but perhaps there should be some "undermods" for each section.

Basically the general mods have access to mod everywhere, and these "undermods" only have access to mod in their section. Every "undermod" has a section head they report certain things to. More of a hierarchy of modding.

I think this would go along way to help the mod team as well as the rampant trolling that has been going on lately.
    An increase in the number of mods might be needed. As Ed pointed out the site has grown too too big too fast. Not that that is a problem in it self, but problem that perhaps needs a closer look at the strucure of how it is moderated. By that I don't mean politically controlling the content as differing views make a stronger concussion to the issues. Instead I mean the structure of who mods what and how many mods there are (with more emphases on the latter).
    04-27-11 06:17 AM

An increase in the number of mods might be needed. As Ed pointed out the site has grown too too big too fast. Not that that is a problem in it self, but problem that perhaps needs a closer look at the strucure of how it is moderated. By that I don't mean politically controlling the content as differing views make a stronger concussion to the issues. Instead I mean the structure of who mods what and how many mods there are (with more emphases on the latter).
    Certainly an interesting concept. We do do that for a few areas, but you can't have a mod with partail powers, and too many would lead to other issues.

Seems to me, that the biggest problem, is a matter of engagement vs reporting. Ya'll want to defend yourselves, your platform, and this site. It's awesome how emotional I see members get, but becomes a double edged sword. It's best to hit your pause button, reflect, and choose the course of action you think will provide the best results in the long run. Temptation be damned.
    04-27-11 06:32 AM
    isn't there some sort of "dislike" thank button you can add to the forums. I mean you do have the Thanked button that shows peoples positive contribution.

it would be great if there was a way to give negative reputation to someone (tolls / haters) and once they have been given enough bad rep from x amount of users, they get auto banned or remove the right to post for x amount of time.

or something along these lines. I am SURE it would help quite a bit. people would be a bit more careful with what they say.
    04-27-11 09:31 AM
    K Bear I read what you say above, I mentioned Civic's name and I would have mentioned AG too but he's now retired. I'd sooner state who I'm talking about rather than say 'certain people' because I'd rather get it out in the open.
    I'm not at all doing any phone bashing here. But you just seem to be a big tattle-tale
    04-27-11 09:33 AM
    isn't there some sort of "dislike" thank button you can add to the forums. I mean you do have the Thanked button that shows peoples positive contribution.

it would be great if there was a way to give negative reputation to someone (tolls / haters) and once they have been given enough bad rep from x amount of users, they get auto banned or remove the right to post for x amount of time.

or something along these lines. I am SURE it would help quite a bit. people would be a bit more careful with what they say.
    Let me preface this as my opinion, and not CrackBerry's.

No way in bloody *the plce where Satan created the thanks button* would I go for that. There's enough abuse of the thanks button. All we need are the trolls teaming up to bring down good members, and all the chaos that would cause.
    04-27-11 09:43 AM
    I'm already seeing an improvement over in the playbook forum from the quick action recently taken. Thank you Mods!
    04-27-11 09:46 AM
    Wheaton's Law needs to be added to the Forum Guidelines, N00b section, and FAQ. It solves so many things.
    04-27-11 10:04 AM
    This is exactly the post trolls what on this site. Its easy to kick someone when they are down.
    04-27-11 10:06 AM
    I used to recommend CrackBerry to my friends and customers for that extra level of knowledge. I stopped about 7 months ago as this place is totally useless now with all the bashing threads and lack of control. Makes it a turn off for anyone not already accustomed to the forums.

Only reason why I am here now is because I am a creature of habit.
    04-27-11 10:47 AM
    i still recommend the site to friends and family regardless of level of experties with a BlackBerry. i just warn them to stay away from the forums.
    The News, Reviews, BlackBerry Help section serve their purpose extremely well.
    and even the Crackberry Store where we buy accessories and software.

i think that's a very good compromise.
    04-27-11 10:51 AM
    Wheaton's Law needs to be added to the Forum Guidelines, N00b section, and FAQ. It solves so many things.
    Funny!! I had never head of this before, but now I plan on using it as much as possible.
    04-27-11 01:03 PM
    Funny!! I had never head of this before, but now I plan on using it as much as possible.
    The Wheaton is wise. The Wheaton speaks sooth.
    04-27-11 01:19 PM
    Although I am a newbie here, I am a long time user of Blackberrys. I bought the Playbook on launch date fully knowing what I would be receiving through all the tremendous information on this forum. I love the device and find new uses almost everyday.
    When I read some of the complaint posts on this forum, I wonder if we are talking about the same Playbook device. I have learned to sift through the nonsence to find many nuggets of information on this amazing tablet. Most of the people I show it to are amazed at what it can do.
    To all the legitimate posters on this forum, please don't go away. You input is too valuable!
    rrrebo likes this.
    04-27-11 01:44 PM
    Although I am a newbie here, I am a long time user of Blackberrys. I bought the Playbook on launch date fully knowing what I would be receiving through all the tremendous information on this forum. I love the device and find new uses almost everyday.
    When I read some of the complaint posts on this forum, I wonder if we are talking about the same Playbook device. I have learned to sift through the nonsence to find many nuggets of information on this amazing tablet. Most of the people I show it to are amazed at what it can do.
    To all the legitimate posters on this forum, please don't go away. You input is too valuable!
    Well-spoken, n00b!

*points at calcareer*
    Learn from this person, disgruntled vets and haters.
    04-27-11 01:48 PM
    It's only really like that in news and rumors/general discussion threads (the play book too but it'll settle down once the newness wears off. Remember how the storm forums used to be)

If you go to the device forums, people are mostly being helped (even by former bb users).

Some of the folks on the two aforementioned forums have never even attempted to help anyone in the device forums. If you live in the news rumor section, you will always see the arguing. It's always been that way. It may have gotten worse lately because of the frustration of now former bb owners trying to wait on rim to drop some new phones. I include myself in that category.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    +1000!!

I have learned a lot, if not everything I know about Blackberries, from CB! if you're here to learn or fix a problem with your current phone, you either use the search function for your issue or post a new thread and are not worried about sifting through stuff in the rumors area for devices not out yet...

no one was ever rude or bashed my device in a thread where I asked for help nor have I seen that in other threads specifically asking for help..

just saying, CB is still a very helpful place and I would still absolutely recommend it!

just gotta know how to use it, just like any other resource.
    Last edited by NinjaB; 04-27-11 at 01:56 PM.
    04-27-11 01:49 PM

Really bad idea. It would lead to nothing but griefing. Too many users would dislike posts simply because they don't get along with the person posting. Too many users would dislike simply because they have a difference of opinion. And too many users fail to properly interpret what does or does not follow the forums guidelines.

The button is already in place and should be used. Moderation should be left to the mods.
    Laura Knotek and howarmat like this.
    04-27-11 02:04 PM
    Haters gonna hate. Sucks that you can't ignore quotes, but at least theres something.
    04-27-11 02:08 PM
    Seriously can't believe that things are allowed to continue like they are. The Playbook forum is troll central and same groups of people just keep spouting off nothing useful, and new accounts popping up left and right (probably with same IP addresses as other accounts) with people just bashing RIM. Can we get some mod sticks out swinging? I'm all for informed people who didn't like a device expressing why and hoping that ends up making the product better somehow, **** I've expressed discontent with RIM before, but so many people obviously have never even used the devices and are just here to see what they can start. Ignore buttons don't work with quoted material either. I mean I know that a hits a hit for advertising purposes, but people coming here in search of information are just going to see a bunch of posts with RIM bashing.
    I have actually gone to the Playbook forum and written down many names of people posting only based on their post content. I have gone to the other OS platform forums and was surprised to see many of the same names on these forums posting.

I have to agree while I don't always agree with RIMS direction I love this platform and is the reason why I am still here because I have hope and wish every other person that are loyal CB fans of the website, the Platform and the devices would forget ALL of these other people and just post among ourselves. Most of us have been here long enough to know each other and who to trust.

I have a good feeling on where RIM is going based on the Roadmap of new devices and listening to the CEO and other officers of the company on the direction of Rim.

Let's face it, We are all here for a reason and even the good people we know that have move on from RIM, they still come here and post and they do not bash RIm at all.

This is a great place to post our feelings with each other and ignore the negativity that exists.
    04-27-11 02:21 PM
108 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD