go to

Options>Media Card>Encrypt Media Files> No

Options>Media Card>Encryption Mode>None

send your REM pics to your e-mail (yahoo....) or upload them on facebook from your BlackBerry.
    It will take time to do so, but it worth it!

I did it both ways and worked. Got it as jpg.
    And you will have the files as jpg and can use them!

Make sure to keep the Encrypt mode OFF.

Good luck!
    skyblueangel likes this.
    09-02-08 11:15 PM
    Encryption Mode where is it how can i make it No plz reply me
    01-24-09 01:29 AM
    Reread the first post

go to
    01-24-09 03:41 AM
    go to

Options>Media Card>Encrypt Media Files> No

send your REM pics to your e-mail (yahoo....) or upload them on facebook from your BlackBerry.
    It will take time to do so, but it worth it!

I did it both ways and worked. Got it as jpg.
    And you will have the files as jpg and can use them!

Make sure to keep the Encrypt mode OFF.

Good luck!
    Howdy ivan,

Those two methods work, there is a third option as well.

You can do the same steps above, but instead of sending the jpg.rem pics to your email or facebook account from your BBerry, you can just COPY them to a different folder on your media card. The copy (AFTER you have turned off Encryption), will all be without the .rem extension.

This saves you a lot of time.
    aiharkness likes this.
    01-24-09 10:32 AM
    OK, my original Pearl 8130 was destroyed. I was able to save the memory card.
    I put the card in my new 8130 and I cannot e-mail, send to facebook, copy, or open.
    How can I get these images to read on my computer or my phone?
    02-02-09 08:55 AM
    going to try the upload to facebook after i set it up. i can't email the file b/cuz it simply doesnt show up when i go into the folder. or when i go straight to the folder where the pic is located without going thru email there isnt an option to email
    03-03-09 08:58 PM
    I dont have any encryption mode set so I am not sure why my pics taken w/ BB camera are getting saved as .jpg.rem files...I wonder if its a Beta glitch
    03-05-09 02:57 PM
    I have recently had my bb 8330 replace n now i cant view my pics it said that their are encrypt files my micro sd card and need to be place back in other device (the old bb i had )to view is there a way to unencrypt the filed i tryed emailing it wont allow i turn off encrypt mode everything nothing works
    Last edited by tootall101; 03-28-09 at 09:26 PM.
    03-28-09 09:14 PM
    Howdy ivan,

You can do the same steps above, but instead of sending the jpg.rem pics to your email or facebook account from your BBerry, you can just COPY them to a different folder on your media card. The copy (AFTER you have turned off Encryption), will all be without the .rem extension.

or rename the file after you disable the encryption. that worked for me when i wanted to convert my voicenotes.
    04-28-09 06:04 PM
    Howdy ivan,

this works, but is there a way to copy and move a batch of files at once, i have a lot that have the .rem extension.
    07-28-09 09:28 PM
    I have a Dept of Defense Crackberry, and the Administrator has the encryption turned on and I can't turn it off. I was able to download about 6 .rem files from the phone to my personal computer because I am allowed to synch the Blackberry on my home computer but can't change the Security Settings. Is there a way to convert .rem files to ,jpg so I can view the pictures I've taken?
    08-06-09 07:54 PM
    I did all three ways mentioned here on this thread and I always get an "Unable to display file /Media Card/BlackBerry/pictures/IMG00310.jpg.rem" or have nothing else happen when I try to send to email or facebook using the option button.
    09-03-09 05:00 PM
    Hi

I have tried all the suggestions:
    1) Copying to a different folder after turning encryption off -get 'File system error'

2) Renaming the file gives 'File not found (8)'

This happened to me after an OS upgrade and I even went as far as rolling back to the original OS and restoring back to the date of the first .rem file but have been unable to crack this nut!

Any more ideas?
    10-07-09 09:43 AM
    I will try the copy method, hope it works.
    11-17-09 12:13 AM
    We have set Encryption Mode as on in our environment from the system administrator so all pics are coming in .rem format : Is there a way we can rename them when we download them to our system so taht they open in Internet Explorer / Paint Brush / MS Office Picture Manager. At present we cannot see them when we download them to our system.
    11-30-09 03:35 AM
    Howdy ivan,

this works. thanks dude
    11-30-09 08:07 AM
    wish any of this would work for 5.0>>>i have tried all of the obove...switch encryption to off..batt pull and still doesn't work...
    12-13-09 09:04 PM
    wish any of this would work for 5.0>>>i have tried all of the obove...switch encryption to off..batt pull and still doesn't work...
    The images that become .rem stay that way, unless you rename, copy or move them to another folder, after you have turned encryption to the media card off, or should under any BB OS.
    12-13-09 10:30 PM
    yeah, they wont even open...or move for that matter....guess they a total loss...
    12-13-09 10:47 PM
    the mesage pops up saying "the memory card is secured by another device. unable to save encrypted file" so i have to find my other blackberry and decrypt the flies b4 copying them, i had a blackberry 8800 now i have a 8520 like do i really have 2 decrypt them memory card off my bb8800 please respond asap
    12-20-09 11:54 PM
    I'm also in a bind because my enterprise IT rights say that encryption has to be on, I don't even have the option to turn it off.
    My pictures are saving fine, but it's the video on my media card that continues to add the .rem extension on the .3GP video files.

What further confuses me is that even without changing any settings, I can't even view the .3GP.rem file on the same blackberry that took the video.
    12-31-09 01:54 AM
    Sry to bring this back up, but has anyone foun d out a way to batch convert these .rem files?
    01-26-10 10:42 PM
    Someone sent me a picture via e-mail with the .jpg.rem extension. Is there a way for me to view it or do they have to send it unencrypted?
    04-25-10 11:54 AM
    still doesnt work for me...... i have a good video too.
    05-23-10 08:17 PM
    on 2nd thought, the copy thing worked after turning off encryption. please remeber the folder has to be created on the bb....not on the pc like i did. once i turn encryption on will the file in the special folder be encrypted?
    05-23-10 08:28 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD