So Microsoft has a challenge at CES this year where you compete with the Nokia 900 to see which phone is faster.

This BlackBerry user, walked up to the guy & started talking about how great the windows phones looked and how there was no point of even trying to compete as he would loose. M$ ofcourse jumped on this & "upgraded" him with a free new windows phone.

My question is, what phone did this guy have? I've tried to go frame by frame but the video isn't clear enouph....apparently M$ cameras can't do HQ vid :P

Any ideas?...
    Live from CES 2012: Windows Phone $100 Challenge 3 - YouTube!

......at one point it almost looks like it's got a trackball but the phone design looks too new to have that.
    01-12-12 03:13 AM
    what speed are they talking about ?
    UI ? Mail delivery ? Texting ? Messaging ? wifi browsing ? Startup ? overall performance ?
    Looks like the "reality distortion" didn't past with S.J (R.I.P).
    01-12-12 04:14 AM
    Appears to be a curve 3G of some variant. Also keep in mind the Nokia phone may or may not be running on the conference WIFI and/or LTE. To do a proper test all of the variables need to be accounted for.
    01-12-12 06:37 AM
    Windows phones record 720p video. Fail there buddy.

Every one even the first ones have always done 720p.

I have an HD7.

As far as speed. The browser is very fast. The OS boots up in seconds. Performance in general has almost no stalls. There is no lag in the UI.

An all this on 2 year old hardware.

Windows phone uses active sync for email and live messenger and Facebook chat are both built into the OS.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    01-12-12 12:12 PM
    It's a bold 9780
    01-12-12 06:37 PM
    As far as speed. The browser is very fast. The OS boots up in seconds. Performance in general has almost no stalls. There is no lag in the UI.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but the browser in BB OS7 and 7.1 is much faster than the Windows 7.5 one. Check any Mango review, I remember one from PCMAG talked about how much slower.
    01-12-12 07:45 PM
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but the browser in BB OS7 and 7.1 is much faster than the Windows 7.5 one. Check any Mango review, I remember one from PCMAG talked about how much slower.
    What Mango phone vs what phone?

Nevermind. I found it. He was basing that off Sunspider benchmark test... and it was a Samsung Focus which has a 1Ghz processor. This Windows Phone challenge guy used a HTC Titan in the tests I saw, which is noticeably faster than the 1Ghz first Gen WP devices. It has a 1.5Ghz CPU btw.

I have an HTC Titan and ill be the first to admit is has an embarrassing Sunspider score, but it ALMOST matches my Playbook is browser speed. Benchmarks dont mean everything. It beat my buddies iPhone4 most of the time. Usually lost to an HTC Rezound.
    Last edited by Blacklac; 01-12-12 at 08:08 PM.
    01-12-12 07:57 PM
    Good point about the newer WP7 phones having a faster processor, I'm not trying to start a BB vs WP7 battle, just pointing out that BB is very competitive in speed versus all platforms, and as you know, you don't need a dual-core phone to surf the web and have a silky smooth UI if your OS is lean and mean like BB OS7 and WP7. Android needs dual core because their GUI isn't accelerated as well as WP7/iOS/BB7.

Now if only reviewers would review based on real world performance and not specs!
    01-12-12 09:37 PM
    It's a bold 9780
    The chrome paint trim is only on the 9700, correct? I thought the 9780 was black all around...

It could also be a Curve 9360/9350 due to the chrome trim...
    01-13-12 12:26 AM
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 01-13-12 at 01:00 AM.
    01-13-12 12:32 AM
    He got a T-Mobile WP in exchange. Probably was a T-Mobile 9360.
    01-13-12 12:51 AM
    What Mango phone vs what phone?

Nevermind. I found it. He was basing that off Sunspider benchmark test... and it was a Samsung Focus which has a 1Ghz processor. This Windows Phone challenge guy used a HTC Titan in the tests I saw, which is noticeably faster than the 1Ghz first Gen WP devices. It has a 1.5Ghz CPU btw.

I have an HTC Titan and ill be the first to admit is has an embarrassing Sunspider score, but it ALMOST matches my Playbook is browser speed. Benchmarks dont mean everything. It beat my buddies iPhone4 most of the time. Usually lost to an HTC Rezound.
    Sounds like this benchmark affected the WP7 browser in some negative way. From everyday real use, I found the WP7 browser on my first gen Focus w/ Mango I used to have worked smooth and was very fast. Worked much smoother overall than my 9780 browser, that's for sure.
    01-13-12 12:51 PM
    Worked much smoother overall than my 9780 browser, that's for sure.
    I don't doubt that, but BB 7 is a huge improvement over 6.0 on the 9780, if that's what you were running, and a million (rough estimate - ) times better than 5.0 which I believe the 9780 was released with.

The current BB 7 browser is faster than WP7, as fast as iPhone 4 (not the 4s), and faster than many dual core Android phones, though not the Galaxy II. The Torch team that RIM bought has done an amazing job with it.
    01-13-12 04:28 PM
    If they gave Nokia Lumia 800 I would surrender immediately, and give my 9900.
    01-14-12 09:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD