Rarely have I seen so many posts about a vendor at a trade show that revealed virtually absolutely nothing new.....just a rehash of all the BS from the last year. Gloves with the fingertips cut off.....brilliant......PB has a 1080P video camera.....that's truly unique in today's world.....limousines for certain attending 'dignitaries', another heart stopper worth of news. But virtually nothing about when, when, when, how, how, how OS10/QNX might see the light of day, considering that the BS story about the chipset has been exposed in both the mainstream and technical press. But it does fill up that home page, I am simply waiting with baited breath for Friday's show info.....maybe new models in orange.....what BS.
    01-13-12 08:01 AM
    Was there even any mention of updated bt on the PB? How about the BB Video...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-13-12 08:06 AM
    MWC is where you will get your BB10 information, NOT CES.
    01-13-12 08:10 AM
    Well rfalter I guess what is important to one ain't important to another. Funny post. I tend to agree !

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    rfalter likes this.
    01-13-12 08:55 AM
    Wondering why RIM even bothered to attend CES. They could have spent the money on something else. Seriously, how can this company have blind, deaf (but not dumb) cheerleaders???
    rfalter likes this.
    01-13-12 09:16 AM
    Well, whatever they did (or didn't show), the stock is up a few percentage points from the start of CES.
    01-13-12 09:29 AM
    Rarely have I seen so many posts about a vendor at a trade show that revealed virtually absolutely nothing new.....just a rehash of all the BS from the last year. Gloves with the fingertips cut off.....brilliant......PB has a 1080P video camera.....that's truly unique in today's world.....limousines for certain attending 'dignitaries', another heart stopper worth of news. But virtually nothing about when, when, when, how, how, how OS10/QNX might see the light of day, considering that the BS story about the chipset has been exposed in both the mainstream and technical press. But it does fill up that home page, I am simply waiting with baited breath for Friday's show info.....maybe new models in orange.....what BS.
    Native calendar and contacts isnt new & cool? Remote PB control ?Cut the Rope wanst cool? New cases and accessories for our phones? WTF do you expect?
    01-13-12 09:40 AM
    Native calendar and contacts isnt new & cool? Remote PB control ?Cut the Rope wanst cool? New cases and accessories for our phones? WTF do you expect?
    All that stuff isn't cool at all to people who already have it on other tablets. Remote PB control is okay, but on a 7" tablet? You'd have to be so close to the tablet to see anything that a remote is basically a gimmick. And Cut the Rope has been out forever on other platforms.

At the very least they could have released a Beta version of 2.0 to people who own PBs...
    01-13-12 09:49 AM
    The QNX concept car, based on a Porsche Carrera, is equipped with an array of advanced features, including one-touch Bluetooth smartphone pairing based on Near Field Communications (NFC); ultra HD voice technology for clearer, richer-sounding hands-free calls; front-seat media control of rear-seat tablets; and a dynamically reconfigurable digital instrument cluster.
    01-13-12 10:03 AM
    Seriously, how can this company have blind, deaf (but not dumb) cheerleaders???
    This question is better examined in an Apple forum.
    scott.slater and gtpointer like this.
    01-13-12 10:15 AM
    Sounds like you might want to try another manufacturer like maybe Apple or Google?? Doesn't sound like you like Blackberry products so you might as well move onto something you're real happy with!!

R...

PS........ Hope your new product is loaded with features you NEED and trouble free!

01-13-12 10:18 AM
    I'm not at all surprised at RIM's performance at CES. Remember, its the CONSUMER Electronics Show and we all know what RIM's recent performance in the US consumer market is like. Playbook OS2 was expected and demoed, meeting expectations and time-lines, but I'm curious as to why the Android player was not talked-up more ? Is it going to be a more compromised experience ?

I think they did exactly the right thing, to underplay the future products and focus on the current product line. They need to push their current line-up, as it will generate the majority of earnings this year and any statements regarding BB10 will only cause more defering of purchases. Lets not forget there's nothing wrong with the current BB7 devices from a feature/performance standpoint.

RIM already knows there will be a pause in volumes just prior to the announcement of BB10 handsets, they just don't need to add to it.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 01-13-12 at 10:29 AM.
    sleepngbear and Rickroller like this.
    01-13-12 10:26 AM
    And here I was thinking this post might actually be reporting something new from CES. How was I to know it was just another whine-fest. Silly me.
    01-13-12 10:37 AM
    Does RIM always show up to CES every year?
    01-13-12 10:57 AM
    I would say it is underwhelming at best, but not a surprise. I don't remember CES ever being a place RIM released their most advanced or impressive products. They have their own events, just like Apple. Apple never does anything here either, and in the past neither has Google for the main Android OS.

I would say if your expectations were to be overwhelmed with unexpected announcements, you will continue to disappointed until RIM has a hardware and QNX software smartphone ready with a release date. Their announcement of a delay was most definitely not a tactic to offer up earlier surprises. Until I see a product and release that differs, I assume Q3 or Q3 2012 as they have stated.

I do not view PB OS 2 as a leap beyond what is already out there on other platforms other than were it already excels or leads (multi-tasking, bridge, etc). For PB owners it seems great, but very late in coming, overdue in fact. Releasing it a CES would have great, but they did not even pull in the release date. Cut the Rope is not even RIM, and is just another release already in the market elsewhere. New cases a great announcement? Really?

I guess I sit in the middle in that I did not see any great announcements, but I also did not expect any until it is a RIM BB event, like MWC.
    01-13-12 11:51 AM
    Does RIM always show up to CES every year?
    Pretty sure they are there every year.

I am excited to see how far along with OS 2 and the email and some other features. For the PB and RIM this is huge. But like mentioned above in the grand scheme of things in the tech world its not "cool" to add this to your tablet. They still have a long way to go from selling the PB at 199-299 and back at a decent price to actually recover some of the losses.
    01-13-12 11:53 AM
    Pretty sure they are there every year.

I am excited to see how far along with OS 2 and the email and some other features. For the PB and RIM this is huge. But like mentioned above in the grand scheme of things in the tech world its not "cool" to add this to your tablet. They still have a long way to go from selling the PB at 199-299 and back at a decent price to actually recover some of the losses.
    Agreed, it still an uphill climb.

I say its way better news for the developers. We are so close to having BB10 phones that have the same QNX system as the PlayBook. This is massive! Devs will no longer see/have to deal with the fragmentation we have now. I predict we will see a flood of new devs and apps once the OS is unified across the entire platform.

And from what I see in PlayBook OS 2, I can't wait for a BB10 handheld.
    01-13-12 12:02 PM
    I just want to add that yes, these new additions to the Playbook aren't new in concept, but rather new in the way they were designed. And with the addition of content, I could very well see the Playbook rise to the #2 spot of tablet sales/market share.
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-13-12 12:32 PM
    Dear Genius.
    I so love that one is designated a CB genius predicated on the number of posts they make, not the quality of the posts. If you actually READ my post, I was just commenting on the home page of Crackberry and it's endless banner headlines featuring much ado about nothing. And there is no BB10 info, unless you go to the library in the science fiction section. Even BB admits that at BEST, with a strong tail wind a prayer, and that 'new unknown' chip, we won't see a BB with OS10/QNX before the end of 2012, and I'd bet the farm that is being very optimistic. So please, read the post, then if you want to reply to add another notch to your number of posts, do so.

MWC is where you will get your BB10 information, NOT CES.
    01-13-12 03:15 PM
    PB is so dead except for those that were foolish enough to get suckered into buying one, they can't give them away. New cases......Jesus, how many cases do we need, there are 100's already on the market. And they are virtually all from 3rd party vendors regardless. What I expect might be for BB to actually come within pissing distance of Apple and Android regarding updated features. I'm loyal to a fault, but none of this is new, just a rehash. I lost virtually all respect for RIM when they released a tablet without an email program. You had to tether to you BB. It so boggles the mind that a company whose claim to fame is email did that. Can you imagine that design meeting. 'Hey Bill, do you think we should have email on the PB? Bill....'nah, it's a BB, why would anyone want native email on it, let them wait six months until we can figure out how to do it and then make a big deal over it in many press releases'. Now that's marketing genius, and why RIM marked down about 750,000 PB's in their inventory that will eventually become electronic firewood.

01-13-12 03:23 PM
    And you think RIM actually had something to do with it. My Bluetooth pairs just fine in my car, it takes 30 seconds one time. And how many Carrera's do you have? Let them concentrate on some freaking new phones with some new useful features, when they get that down pat they can start designing things for cars.

The QNX concept car, based on a Porsche Carrera, is equipped with an array of advanced features, including one-touch Bluetooth smartphone pairing based on Near Field Communications (NFC); ultra HD voice technology for clearer, richer-sounding hands-free calls; front-seat media control of rear-seat tablets; and a dynamically reconfigurable digital instrument cluster.
    01-13-12 03:27 PM
    Dear Abuser:

1 - Your initial post is rife with negativity towards RIM. Considering that -- although all opinions are welcome here -- this is first and foremost a site for BlackBerry enthusiasts, you should not be surprised by some equally negative responses.

2 - In light of the primary purpose of this site, is it such a bad thing for us to find cause for celebration in the fact that the brand is finally receiving some positive press after being hammered mercilessly for basically all of 2011 and before?

Is anyone here saying that RIM has risen from the ashes and is about to conquer the technology world? No. We have, however, been saying all along that RIM is not yet dead and buried, and we are accordingly pleased to see that at least some bloggers and media sources are warming up to that possibility.
    01-13-12 03:29 PM
    Read the post Ricktye, I've had BB's since there were BB's, so I don't need a verbal spanking from you. Did I say I didn't like my BB in the post, or did I say that virtually nothing of value new was announced, just tons of press releases about not much of anything. And trust me, if BB doesn't get their stuff together, you will be at the Apple or Android store, RIM is not to big to fail.

Sounds like you might want to try another manufacturer like maybe Apple or Google?? Doesn't sound like you like Blackberry products so you might as well move onto something you're real happy with!!

R...

PS........ Hope your new product is loaded with features you NEED and trouble free!
    01-13-12 03:31 PM
    Whaaa whaaaa whahhh RIM didn't show me love and let me see that tele transportation and nuking a cheeseburger in .1 seconds is possible. They need to cater to my wants and needs. whaaa whaaa whaaaa
    01-13-12 03:32 PM
    Read the post Ricktye, I've had BB's since there were BB's, so I don't need a verbal spanking from you. Did I say I didn't like my BB in the post, or did I say that virtually nothing of value new was announced, just tons of press releases about not much of anything. And trust me, if BB doesn't get their stuff together, you will be at the Apple or Android store, RIM is not to big to fail.
    I admit CES wasn't OMGWTF that is insane!!!!! type thing.

It was more of a preview of things to come. Especially OS 2.0. That had been under wraps for so long. Also OS 7.1 and the release of that. That was an upside to CES also.

And just having a booth at CES is pretty much like marketing. Even with nothing new to show (which btw, they did have new things to show). They got interviews, coverage from many websites, even the "most surprising" thing at CES.

But since you didn't like any of that, and you wanted them to be a no-show at CES. Do you know what would have happened if they were?

Angry BB fans, more complaining, more whining, more about how RIM is going down the drain, more about how RIM isn't doing anything, etc.

Pretty much what you're doing right now for "not having anything to show".

Tell me what Android (the OS not hte hardware manufacturers) had to show, what iOS had to show, what Windows Phones had to show?

Now tell me what Blackberry had to show. They had more to show than their competitors that's what. But yet, apparently that's still not enough for you. Even though you know Mobile World Congress is when RIM announced they will be previewing BB10.
    Last edited by mithrazor; 01-13-12 at 04:35 PM.
    01-13-12 04:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD