Do any of the major cell service providers support Blackberry smart phones? If so, does it (do they) support only certain models? tnx.
    05-20-19 12:10 PM
    Do any of the major cell service providers support Blackberry smart phones? If so, does it (do they) support only certain models? tnx.
    Depends on the device itself.

BlackBerry OS? BB10? Android? There are also CDMA / GSM differences.

Gonna need to elaborate what you're really asking here.
    05-20-19 12:14 PM
    The phrase, "Depend on the device itself" is exactly my question. For example, AT&T tells me it will not support Blackberry phones, period, paragraph. Okay. But is this the position of all cell service providers -- that they will support no BBs of any kind or model? But, are there some, any, that will support even one "model" like a KeyOne or whichever one it might be? THAT is what I'm trying to learn.

I would like to get back to a BB but I need a cell service that will handle it.

Because it seems like few cell service providers do support BBs, it seems like a good list of those who do would have value.
    05-20-19 12:58 PM
    The phrase, "Depend on the device itself" is exactly my question. For example, AT&T tells me it will not support Blackberry phones, period, paragraph. Okay. But is this the position of all cell service providers -- that they will support no BBs of any kind or model? But, are there some, any, that will support even one "model" like a KeyOne or whichever one it might be? THAT is what I'm trying to learn.

Because it seems like few cell service providers do support BBs, it seems like a good list of those who do would have value.
    Well not exactly what Blaize was askimg
    With blackberry phones you would want support like VoLTE WiFi calling , RCS etc
    This is dependent of the model
    For example VoLTE maybe supported on tmobile for your phone but may not be on at&t IT comes down to the model number and bands that your specific model supports you have to look at the box to find out the number something like st-100 etc
    RCS isn't in any bb10 or lower phones but is in the android phones
    But your phone must support their bands
    Also WiFi calling is only included with certain phones per carrier and is usually in settings or in tmobile case a app
    Best bet buy from the carrier itself and see on the selling label if it is supported
    If you get an unlocked phone you need to give model.numbers and we can reply with supported bands etc
    05-20-19 02:18 PM

AT&T sold the KEYone lol. The problem comes from stating 'BlackBerry', when you ask that question without referencing which device be it a BlackBerry 10 device, BlackBerry OS device or BlackBerry Android device, most people assume you're referring to an old BBOS device. In which case, the standard answer nowadays is going to be a hard no, because they don't or won't support those older devices. Calling up pretty much any carrier just asking 'do you support BlackBerry' is generic enough for them to say no and move on with their day.

An Android-based BlackBerry will work on pretty much any GSM provider, no matter if they say they support it or not. Supporting it and it working on their network are two entirely different things when it REALLY comes down to it and as Hope123 noted, some features offered by the carrier or the device might not be available, depending on the device itself and the carriers support.

Only certain variants of Android-based BlackBerry smartphones will work on CDMA providers, such as Verizon and their MVNO's, so again, it really comes down the specific device you're wishing to use.
    05-20-19 04:12 PM
    Most carriers are no longer allowing old BBOS devices (Bold, Curve, Torch) to be activated on their networks, and these devices are expected to stop working at the end of the year.

BB10 devices can still be activated, but these are also rapidly losing support and unless you are familiar with their many and growing limitations, they can't be recommended.

The Android-based devices are mostly fully supported (as long as you get the appropriate sub-model for your carrier), and should be usable for several years to come.

As you can see, it's a complicated question with complicated answers, so if you tell us which carrier you are on and what your goals are, we can give you more specific details.
    John Albert, RiDeZ951 and LaGrua00 like this.
    05-20-19 04:34 PM
    Great information from everyone here; it's been very educational and helpful.

Right now I have Spectrum Mobile which I think is somewhat better than tolerable. To get Spectrum's basement rate, I had to buy one of its phones so I now use a budget LG K30. Notwithstanding those facts, however, I do not have any contractual bind to Spectrum and will be as loyal to any cell service / internet provider as it has been to me over the years, including with reference to costs. I..E., I'll change carriers. My uses of a cell phone are comparatively meager compared to most people's: some texting and email (LOVE BBs keyboard!), a good network -- which seems most networks do have these days; and a reasonable rate for service.

I genuinely appreciate everyone's ideas and thoughts.
    05-20-19 05:00 PM

You’ll get much incorrect and maligned information. AT&T still does support BBOS and BB10 devices in addition to BBAndroid KEYone and Key2/LE also.

Most carriers support factory unlocked BB10 and BBAndroid hardware as long as you buy ones having compatible bands with specific carrier.
    05-20-19 07:50 PM
    Perhaps asking specifically about TCL phones?

Regardless, most of the carrier people seem relatively uninformed about BlackBerry devices and provide erroneous information.
    05-21-19 06:33 AM
    Also will work doesn't mean fully support with all services... like Wi-Fi calling and sometimes other advance features.

If you are looking to change devices and carriers, I'd suggest you get specific with which carrier and which phone.
    05-21-19 07:10 AM