Options>Advanced Options>Cell Broadcast

What is this? Mine says that my channels are empty. I'm just curious more than anything. I don't like not knowing everything about my BB Curve.
    01-11-08 02:32 PM
    basically geographic location based broadcasts like Amber Alerts for ATT or Emergency News blasts.

Cell Broadcast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    01-11-08 06:31 PM
    I turned it out and man did my bb slow down, so I turned it off and it will stay off.
    03-15-08 08:09 AM
    Yeah, cellular broadcast services offer service providers the ability to broadcast information to customers within a specific area (a "cell"), and usually this information is presented on the stand-by screen (on most BlackBerry devices, it appears next to your network or service provider's name on the Home screen)...

Examples include weather warnings or network outages; changes to plans; local news and/or sports, though are literally hundreds of uses for the service.

In most areas, cellular broadcast services did not take off and it is a feature that is rarely used these days.

By the way, most networks will show you the name of the tower your signal is coming from if you add channel ID "050" (you can name it whatever you want)...

Just make sure there is a tick next to your newly created channel, and that the cell broacasting service is set to on.

This works on most 2G/2.5G GSM and 3G/3.5G WCDMA/UMTS phones...

Most people on most networks have it switched-on here in Australia, and unless you're using a REALLY old phone, it doesn't really affect your usage times and/or device performance.

Try it out, it works on most global networks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-08 08:32 AM
    I tried the channel "050" but got nothing. Maybe it isn't the right channel for me. Does anyone know of a place to get a list of channels that can be added? I'd like to play with this service some if I can.
    03-19-08 11:28 AM
    Bumping back up.

I know nothing about this topic. Is it useful to have on, esp on the Storm?
    12-03-08 01:27 PM
    Yeah 050 not working for me either, maybe disabled on AT&T?
    10-14-10 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD