Hi Everyone,
    First off, I would just like to thank everyone who posts their helpful tips and advice on this site. I am new to Blackberry and have been reading many of the discussions in this forum to get started. Anywys, on to my issue...

I own a 9700 and Rogers (GSM) is my carrier. I have a friend with Curve 3G through Telus (CDMA). I noticed when we both go to sites such as espn.com, he has a more rich website experience. basically all the subheadings have dropdown menus and the site in general has a much more appealing and user friendly layout. My wab page, however, is pure text and seems much more archaeic. Also, googles mobile site has icons stacked over each other and is a jumbled mess. I called Rogers about this issue and they basically told me the CDMA network is a more mature network and their is nothing I can do to fix this issue.

I went through every setting in my phone and compared it to my friends and they are all the same.

Does anyone have any ideas of why this is happening and is the guy from Rogers full of sh*t or am I actually doomed because i am with that carrier? Thanks for the help.
    01-20-11 08:36 PM
    What OS is running on each phone?
    01-20-11 08:42 PM
    What OS is running on each phone?
    Sorry I should have mentioned this. I am running 5.0.0.862 whixh is the latest from rogers. And my friend is running the latest fron telus which is a high end os 5 as well. Hope this helps...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-11 08:54 PM
    You're both on OS5 so you're using the same browser. I would guess that possibly you're going to the mobile site and he is going to the full site. When you access the site so you see a link to go to the full version of the site?
    01-20-11 09:01 PM
    CDMA and GSM are just network technologies, they shouldn't have any influence on the browser experience whatsoever (apart from connection speed)
    01-20-11 09:09 PM
    You're both on OS5 so you're using the same browser. I would guess that possibly you're going to the mobile site and he is going to the full site. When you access the site so you see a link to go to the full version of the site?
    No they are both definitely mobile sites. The content is identical its just presented totally differently. Also, like I said, google.com (mobile) has all the icons jumbled togethr at the top of the page.

01-20-11 09:10 PM
    CDMA and GSM are just network technologies, they shouldn't have any influence on the browser experience whatsoever (apart from connection speed)
    +1

No they are both definitely mobile sites. The content is identical its just presented totally differently. Also, like I said, google.com (mobile) has all the icons jumbled togethr at the top of the page.

What? What icons are at the top of Google? Do you mean Web, Images, Videos, Maps etc?
    Last edited by CASH; 01-20-11 at 09:14 PM.
    01-20-11 09:11 PM
    +1

What? What icons are at the top of Google? Do you mean Web, Images, Videos, Maps etc?
    Yes exactly those icons. Another example would be the tech site arstechnica.com... My friends phone displays the top of the page as tabs and mine is all these illegible icons stacked on top of each other in rows (looks kind of like a pyramid). WTF IS GOING ON???

01-20-11 09:27 PM
    Yes exactly those icons. Another example would be the tech site arstechnica.com... My friends phone displays the top of the page as tabs and mine is all these illegible icons stacked on top of each other in rows (looks kind of like a pyramid). WTF IS GOING ON???

In your browser settings, do you have it set to render as BlackBerry or do you have it set to Internet Explorer or Firefox emulation?
    01-20-11 09:31 PM
    Do you have page zooming options set differently or one on page and one on column view?
    01-20-11 09:33 PM
    Do you have page zooming options set differently or one on page and one on column view?
    Tried firefox IE and BB sites and they are all similar. Same as page vs column view. Can you try going to espn.com mobile and see if the sections such as news and videos are in drop down menu form or just pure text?

01-20-11 09:39 PM
    He didn't mean to try the firefox, IE, and BB sites. He meant to check the browser emulation setting on the phone. Is it set to Blackberry, IE, or Firefox.
    01-20-11 09:51 PM
    He didn't mean to try the firefox, IE, and BB sites. He meant to check the browser emulation setting on the phone. Is it set to Blackberry, IE, or Firefox.
    Yes I realized that. That's what I meant when I said I tried them all, sorry.

01-20-11 09:59 PM
    Do you have javascript enabled in your browser settings?
    01-20-11 10:02 PM
    Do you have javascript enabled in your browser settings?
    Yes I do. Like I said... All of our settings are identicasl. I guess my question boils down to, can carriers control how content heavy websites are in order to reduce the data needed to load a site?

Can someone go to espns mobile site and see what it looks like? Prrhaps the issue is not unique to rogers

01-20-11 10:07 PM
    I don't think it would be the carrier since the data is routed through RIM's servers. Have you tried clearing the browser cache and cookies and doing a battery pull?
    01-20-11 10:24 PM
    Can you post a screenshot?

This is ESPN's mobile site: m.espn.com
    01-20-11 10:28 PM
    Judging from the differences you're describing, it really sounds like he's got OS 6 installed. The webkit browser renders everything better. There is an official OS 6 for your 9700 and some leaks, I'm running .424 right now.

01-20-11 11:23 PM
    The sections 'Scores and Schedules', 'Whats Hot' and 'News and Analsis' should be stacked on top of each other and when i click one of them, the stories in each category should drop down. This is how it happens on my Ipod touch or friends blackberyy curve anyway...
    And no, my friend does not have OS6. I am positive of this.

I hope this description helps.
    01-21-11 07:42 AM
    Just visited ESPN (mobile) and for me they are all text links. Are you sure he is running the stock browser? What Os does he have? I am running stock in column view. Os 5.0.0.438 trimmed down.

01-21-11 08:01 AM
    Hey DAS, just visited arstechnica.com and my browser rendered it well. At the top it shows nearly a full page of icons that ends in a diagonal line.

My settings are as follows:
    Browser Config:
    All boxes checked except Support Javascript (if a page requires it, it will prompt)

Under General Properties:

Default Browser-Internet
    Default Font-Global Serif
    Default Font Size- 9
    Minimum Font- 9
    Minimum Style- Plain
    Default View- Column
    Image Quality -Low
    Repeat Anims- Never
    All boxes checked except:
    Closing Mod Pages & Running Scripts

Under Menu/Encoding: default is set to ISO 8859-01.

Hope this helps.

01-21-11 08:20 AM
    I believe you when you say both are on OS 5.x and all settings are the same. With that assumed, it sounds like your OS load screwed up. It is a crappy job but it might be worth doing a full backup, wiping your phone with BBSAK or something similar and reloading your OS.
    Thanks for the helo everyone. I wiped my phone and reloaded the latest OS through minute carrie and the google and arstechbca issues were fixed. Espn.com still loads with all text but since others in this forum have it loaded the same way, I am going to assumne that perhaps it is a carrier specific issue. And to be fair, its not really an issue, just wierd and a little frustrating that my friend on telus gets a better browser experience.

If anyone has telus and os 5 running, let me know how espn loasa. Thx again

01-21-11 09:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD