I've just purchased a Bold 9930 on Verizon (upgraded from Curve 8330) and it just works--no problems. The IT person at our company told me that she's not going to continue paying for the BES, but will just use the Exchange server. I'm one of the last two who use a BB.

I really need not only e-mail, but also task and Calendar sync (Outlook). Is there any way that I can keep the BB without the BES and not lose the task/calendar sync?

The iphone is nice machinery, but the attitude of the company and the lack of a physical keyboard are major problems in my opinion

Thanks in advance for any advice. God bless you

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 03:14 AM
    Well, unless your company decides to go for BES express (which is a free version of the BES) or switches to BIS (free) for your exchange emails you cannot get the email/contacts and calendar synced up. Ask the good lady at your IT department to switch to BES Express for folks who still wish to use a BlackBerry. (BES express has decent security features too)
    currentuser likes this.
    08-24-11 04:18 AM
    I have the same problem. I'm thinking of switching from Nexus S to a BB, but my company also doesn't support it.

I've heard that there are some work arounds, like forwarding the email to the BB device. Can I possibly sync the outlook calendar with google and it that way?

Any help would be appreciated. Asking IT department is not an option for me.
    08-25-11 04:14 PM
    If you want to pay both Astrasync and Notifysync will do this. I think both are okay, but not great. Definitely worth a look though as you could feel different. I am returning my 9930 today because the lack of native Exchange support makes it a no go. I tried to make it work, but it is just not seamless enough. I love the build quality of the phone (although the software is nothing great still) and of course the keyboard. My company got rid of our BES too and does not want to even deal with the hassle of BESX. My only hope the QNX devices support Exchange.
    08-25-11 04:25 PM
    I really need not only e-mail, but also task and Calendar sync (Outlook). Is there any way that I can keep the BB without the BES and not lose the task/calendar sync?
    In my company It guys didnt manage to sync my BB with OWA so i got Astrasync.

And probably Astrasync is much better than BIS. For full synchronization with Outlook you need BES or BESX
    08-26-11 12:10 AM
    I've been unable to get back online for a few days, but wanted to thank you folks for your help.

I did check with our IT person, and she says that we've been running BESX for some time. Since I'm the only one on BB, and the life expectancy of the computer on which the BESX is hosted is limited (isn't that true for all of us?), it's just a matter of time before it goes the way of all flesh.

So, if I understand it correctly from where I sit right now, it seems that BES or BESX are necessary if one wants to wirelessly sync tasks on a BB. Calendar and E-mail can be done through Google Calendar, however. The hosted BES service might be an option if the stars align just right, but it will likely be released about the same time as Playbook 2 (i.e., somewhen).

Rats.

Thanks anyway. I really appreciate your time.
    09-03-11 06:53 PM
    I didn't see the mentions about Astrasync and Notifysync. I'll look into them before doing anything drastic.
    09-03-11 06:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD