Looks like it it's never been easier to hack fingerprint scanner... so that's where apple's security ends, huh?

Chaos Computer Club claims it can reproduce fingerprints from people's public photos | VentureBeat | Security | by Emil Protalinski

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    thekidshop likes this.
    12-29-14 10:24 AM
    The main source was a close-up picture of von der Leyen’s thumb, obtained during a news conference in October, along with photographs taken from different angles to get an image of the complete fingerprint.
    Because we all have "close-up" pictures from multiple angles of our fingers out there.

We have all heard that a fingerprint scanner can be "hacked" -or a better term fooled. I'd still like one, because I don't feel that my security is worth the trouble of a password every time I pickup the phone (picture password just didn't work well for me). But a quick press of the button to both wake and unlock.... that would be nice.

Granted - I don't work at some top secrete organization. Don't have Credit Card info saved on my phone and I don't have any pictures that wold embarrass me or others (too bad).
    12-29-14 10:37 AM
    Because we all have "close-up" pictures from multiple angles of our fingers out there.

We have all heard that a fingerprint scanner can be "hacked" -or a better term fooled. I'd still like one, because I don't feel that my security is worth the trouble of a password every time I pickup the phone (picture password just didn't work well for me). But a quick press of the button to both wake and unlock.... that would be nice.

Granted - I don't work at some top secrete organization. Don't have Credit Card info saved on my phone and I don't have any pictures that wold embarrass me or others (too bad).
    But it is soooooo easy to get the close up picture...

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    12-29-14 10:43 AM
    But it is soooooo easy to get the close up picture...

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomeness. Like Majestic As...
    I can see it being easy with a lot of Celebrities... they are always holding up their hands to block their faces.. the rest of us not so much.
    TGR1 likes this.
    12-29-14 10:51 AM
    Looks like it it's never been easier to hack fingerprint scanner... so that's where apple's security ends, huh?

Chaos Computer Club claims it can reproduce fingerprints from people's public photos | VentureBeat | Security | by Emil Protalinski

In theory it is easy to reproduce the fingerprint accurately enough to fool the scanner. In practice, it's a lot of careful work. And, sadly, I and likely the vast majority of phone users are insignificant ants unworthy of attention.

Also, this is yet another example where social engineering is the true weak point, in that we tend to use the thumb because it is the most convenient and thus a good assumption that it is what should be copied. In actuality, you can choose pretty well any section of skin, including on various parts that most people and the law consider not prudent to whip out in public. Good luck on both knowing where and getting clean copies of those.
    12-29-14 11:32 AM
    So, if you are a high profile celebrity with multiple high quality pictures of your hands from different angles readily available online, then don't use Touch ID. For the millions of the rest of us, Touch ID is a good way to secure an iPhone from the vast majority of thieves. Touch ID is great and BB should copy it to the extent it can without violating patents.
    12-29-14 12:19 PM
    Give me a break.....
    12-29-14 02:13 PM
    At first, I wondered what relevance this has in a forum about BlackBerry phones, but then it hit me. This is supposed to be another, "iPhones have a security flaw so people should buy BlackBerry phones instead" post. Or am I wrong?
    12-29-14 04:05 PM
    At first, I wondered what relevance this has in a forum about BlackBerry phones, but then it hit me. This is supposed to be another, "iPhones have a security flaw so people should buy BlackBerry phones instead" post. Or am I wrong?
    CCC shows how to hack fingerprint scanner-give-man-medal.jpg

on the serious note.
    attacker could make your hand photos on public places.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    12-29-14 05:33 PM
    Please, anyone who uses a TouchID device make sure the login is programmed with your pinky or ring finger.

A staggering majority of the prints left all over your device are of your thumbs and pointer fingers...which most people also use to unlock their device as well. That makes it much easier for someone who steals your device to access it since the prints they need to lift are already all over the device - thumbs on the bottom half, pointer on the upper half.
    12-29-14 05:52 PM
    They can also unlock it with your finger if you're drunk and passed out on the couch too lol. No need to such elaborate measures.
    donemt likes this.
    12-29-14 05:59 PM
    the iPhone's fingerprint scanner actually scanned underneath (so it maps under the skin) your finger and what's underneath it so that's not going to work. Maybe next time.
    12-29-14 06:12 PM
    If you can take picture of hand you can take picture of someone entering their password
    anon8656116 likes this.
    12-29-14 06:13 PM
    the iPhone's fingerprint scanner actually scanned underneath (so it maps under the skin) your finger and what's underneath it so that's not going to work. Maybe next time.
    Nope, it can be fooled more easily (at 32:00). Tl;dw: he made a synthetic fingerprint which he extracted from his iPhone's screen with a high-resolution scanner.

However, he didn't demonstrate this method with a fingerprint extracted from a photo. To that end he only said that the method is still patchy, requiring multiple photos with the right angle and contrast (potentially easier with modern/future camera technology and it may also be possible that such pictures are taken by your own phone unknowingly when an app has access to your camera), but in theory it is possible. It should be mentioned that it is equally possible to obtain footage of a person entering their passwords (especially with abundance of CCTV) and he even showed a picture of a retina that reflected the screen of the phone when the user entered their password.
    12-30-14 04:49 AM