I am sure this will be no surprise to RIM supporters who read the Globe & Mail. It seems the paper is quick to publish negative stories about RIM, and then when they report on some of the positive news, they never fail to remind readers that RIM is a struggling company.

One writer in particular who authors a lot of articles is Iain Marlow.

For instance, take this article published today about the new BlackBerry PlayBook 4G.

RIM to launch new PlayBook in Canada - The Globe and Mail

The article briefly mentions the new PlayBook. In the first 3 paragraph's I've quoted, I crossed out what I believe would make the reporting more balanced and fair. It isn't always necessary for him to remind people of the poor-selling IMO.

"Research In Motion Ltd. is launching a new version of its poor-selling PlayBook tablet in Canada that will run on the latest high-speed cellular networks, the company said on Thursday."

"The current version of RIM's tablet connects to the Internet via local Wi-Fi networks, but it can also access the Web by tapping into a user's BlackBerry cellular connection."

"The new version of the PlayBook tablet, a device that has not sold well since its launch in April, 2011, will be available at BCE Inc.'s Bell Mobility, Rogers Communications Inc. and Telus Corp. The device will be able to run on these carriers' fourth-generation (4G) networks, a service also known as Long Term Evolution (LTE) and which is touted as having faster connections."

Here's the twist. The remaining 6 of the total 9 paragraphs then jumps to a totally different topic talking about the security encryption issue with the Indian government.

And wait until you read the user comments on this one.

In my opinion, in addition to Jaguar Financial I think G&M is also helping to push/propagate a negative message about RIM which can harm the share price and or shareholders.

What do you think about this sort of reporting and the G&M in general? Have you read any of this journalist's other stories?
    Last edited by terminatorx; 08-02-12 at 12:48 PM.
    08-02-12 12:28 PM
    Another thing I noticed recently was that after the Apple earnings announcement, G&M posted an article (not authored by Iain) with the headline "Apple Shares Sink..." or something like that. Later in the day or the next day, the headline was changed to "Samsung takes a bite out of Apple..." In my view they have a tendency to post loud headlines when it comes to RIM (ie. "RIM Junks 16GB PlayBook") but it sure seems they take a softer approach to everyone else. Someone has to be noticing this, and wondering what the heck is going on.
    Last edited by terminatorx; 08-02-12 at 01:20 PM.
    08-02-12 12:40 PM
    I thought it was only the American Media that was bashing RIM. Thanks for setting everyone straight.

Paranoia will destroya.
    08-02-12 12:48 PM
    Whether you find the poor sales reference necessary or not it is true and does not
    in any way make the reporting unfair or imbalanced. To not mention that fact would
    IMO make the reporting a bit less than complete.

Is that your idea of fair? Just print what makes BlackBerry users feel good and
    ignore relevant facts that won't?
    08-02-12 01:11 PM
    Is that your idea of fair? Just print what makes BlackBerry users feel good and ignore relevant facts that won't?
    Not at all. But I don't feel it is necessary to ALWAYS have to point out the poor-selling and other negative facts. It's like the articles end up coming across with negative overtones all the time. People will always jump in to say "well they put themselves in this situation" blah blah. "Shouldn't have wasted time with the NHL team" etc.

What is your definition of fair and balanced? For example, every time I talk about amazinglygraceless, should I remind people about a few of your faults? I mean, let's be honest right. Why hide that?
    08-02-12 01:28 PM
    Not at all. But I don't feel it is necessary to ALWAYS have to point out the poor-selling and other negative facts. It's like the articles end up coming across with negative overtones all the time. People will always jump in to say "well they put themselves in this situation" blah blah. "Shouldn't have wasted time with the NHL team" etc.

What is your definition of fair and balanced? For example, every time I talk about amazinglygraceless, should I remind people about a few of your faults? I mean, let's be honest right. Why hide that?
    My faults are legendary and I am quite proud of every single one.

I'm not the one making the fair and balanced claim, nor am I the one editing the
    article to conform with any such view.

My point was, I'd rather have the press report ALL the facts, (good, bad or otherwise,)
    as opposed to cherry picking what they think the readers will find palatable.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-02-12 02:07 PM
    I thought it was only the American Media that was bashing RIM. Thanks for setting everyone straight.

Paranoia will destroya.
    Nope......you are correct. I have posted here before that we Canadians are our own worst enemy. We suck!
    08-02-12 02:17 PM
    You're right, maybe the article would end up being pretty long. LOL j/k

My point was, I'd rather have the press report ALL the facts, (good, bad or otherwise,) as opposed to cherry picking what they think the readers will find palatable.
    I agree with you actually, but as long as it isn't being done out of habit to keep portraying the company in a bad spotlight by focusing on the negative. I hope that is not the case here, but it seems there are a lot of people complaining about the G&M bashing RIM quite frequently.

The general public is well aware of RIM's situation without journalists always having to point out the bad facts with every story.
    08-02-12 04:11 PM
    You're right, maybe the article would end up being pretty long. LOL j/k
    Nice to see people with a sense of humor still come here

I agree with you actually, but as long as it isn't being done out of habit to keep portraying the company in a bad spotlight by focusing on the negative. I hope that is not the case here, but it seems there are a lot of people complaining about the G&M bashing RIM quite frequently.

The general public is well aware of RIM's situation without journalists always having to point out the bad facts with every story.
    I am not much for the piling on that is currently fashionable, which I think is your
    point, but I will always want accuracy.

By now most of us know which media outlets and which analysts to ignore.
    08-02-12 05:06 PM
    Anyone been reading the comments on this G&M story? They're pretty brutal. But you can see a lot of people agreeing with the points I was making. Take a look if you haven't already, if anything, just to get a glimpse of some of the hostility towards RIM.
    08-02-12 11:45 PM

Paranoia will destroya.
    This here people, is an example of a totally useless distracting post. Adds nothing to the conversation. You might say the same for mine, but one follows the other.

http://www.amazon.com/Only-Paranoid-...bUvbUpU7548172
    http://www.amazon.com/It-Pays-Parano...bUvbUpU7548172
    08-03-12 12:42 AM
    Anyone been reading the comments on this G&M story? They're pretty brutal. But you can see a lot of people agreeing with the points I was making. Take a look if you haven't already, if anything, just to get a glimpse of some of the hostility towards RIM.
    I think people are starting to wise up to the media BS. I question the intellect up people who take whats reported at face value.

Relative to certain producst made by certain companies RIM migh not be doing as well. But if you also cherry pick you comparisons its extremely poor reporting. Why dont they put, 'extremely well selling and continually supported playbook' which it is, compared to the cisco cius, hp touchpad or whatever crap samung put out.

Please, someone tell me I'm wrong.
    08-03-12 12:49 AM

I'm not the one making the fair and balanced claim, nor am I the one editing the
    article to conform with any such view.

My point was, I'd rather have the press report ALL the facts, (good, bad or otherwise,)
    as opposed to cherry picking what they think the readers will find palatable.

Thats exactly what they are doing.
    08-03-12 12:53 AM
    Nothing better to do on a Sunday night than whip up some more bad news. Same old rehashing, and shoving it down readers throats. Unbelievable.

Flatlining user base spells end of RIM’s growth story
    09-23-12 09:54 PM
    Nothing better to do on a Sunday night than whip up some more bad news. Same old rehashing, and shoving it down readers throats. Unbelievable.

Flatlining user base spells end of RIM�s growth story
    We will see if the article is accurate or not following the quarterly report.
    09-23-12 10:40 PM
    Although I don't believe the article posted by the OP is unfair, some articles certainly contain some unnecessary venom.

I could accept an article about the iPhone 5 that would state:
    "The much anticipated new smartphone from Apple has been outselling analysts expectations regardless of poor reviews..."

However, it would not be inaccurate to say:
    "Apple, a company that is a large consumer of rare earth metals, an industry known for funding the Congo warlords, has released their newest smartphone..."

That would absolutely be unfair and I know this example is taken to absurd levels, I just would like unbiased facts when I read articles and not a writers biased slant.

I understand the OP's frustration as I have read articles that have kicked below the belt to RIM, this just may not be one of them, but we've all seen them.
    09-23-12 10:42 PM
    We will see if the article is accurate or not following the quarterly report.
    It's not about waiting to see if the article is accurate or not. The point here is that there is too much negative reporting. There needs to be more coverage of positive news, or maybe they just need better writers who are more objective. It seems as though almost every story these guys write about RIM (and this writer in particular) is focused on showing how the company is on the verge of failure, struggling, or how it is letting everyone down. Almost everything is written from that viewpoint and it sickens me.
    Last edited by terminatorx; 09-23-12 at 11:42 PM.
    09-23-12 11:34 PM
    we are talkign about a reporter in canada, have you ever read the crap or heard the stuff said about any toronto sports team frankly its disgusting the garbage people say about their home teams or in this case home company its no wonder the players don't like playing for the team and its so hard for the leaders, constant critisism and negativity.todays society is very quick to judge, there seems to be to many options and people tend to hate when they find imperfections, look at the divorce rate

this is one of my favorite quotes every and speaks true about what we are turning into
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Na9-jV_OJI[/YT]
    Last edited by GTiLeo; 09-24-12 at 12:24 AM.
    09-23-12 11:51 PM
    It's not about waiting to see if the article is accurate or not. The point here is that there is too much negative reporting. There needs to be more coverage of positive news, or maybe they just need better writers who are more objective. It seems as though almost every story these guys write about RIM (and this writer in particular) is focused on showing how the company is on the verge of failure, struggling, or how it is letting everyone down. Almost everything is written from that viewpoint and it sickens me.
    The title of his article is "Flatlining user base spells end of RIM�s growth story". Therefore, we will have to wait until the quarterly report to see if the user base has flatlined or not.

Re: positive articles, RIM needs to release a new product or service to get positive news. There is nothing that RIM is doing now that warrants positive coverage.

RIM needs to get the BB10 devices available in the market in order to get positive news coverage. I want RIM to get these devices released. The more choices available, the better.

However, with nothing new since last year, RIM is not going to get positive coverage. It's not the media's fault; it's RIM's fault for being slow to release anything new.
    09-24-12 01:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD