Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I am thinking of going back to a BlackBerry Key2 LE phone but I am in nursing school and will be wiping my phone with CaviWipe multiple times a day during a clinical day.

Do you think the wet wipe would eventually break the keyboard and I should just stick with a glass slab phone?

Any healthcare workers on here with pkb BlackBerry phones want to chime in?
    06-17-19 08:50 AM
    Do you think the wet wipe would eventually break the keyboard and I should just stick with a glass slab phone?
    I don't think it would break the keyboard, but I would question the cleanliness as the CaviWipe is not going to reach all areas. But I'm certainly no healthcare worker.
    06-17-19 08:56 AM
    I don't think it would break the keyboard, but I would question the cleanliness as the CaviWipe is not going to reach all areas.
    Yeah that's true. I was more worried about the liquid ingress on the keyboard from the wipe since it does not have any formal rating for water protection.
    06-17-19 08:59 AM
    Yeah, that's true. I was more worried about the liquid ingress on the keyboard from the wipe since it does not have any formal rating for water protection.
    Right, that's where the balance comes in. The liquid ingress might happen if you're pressing the keys, getting in there to get it really clean but if you're just 'wiping' the device, I imagine it would be fine but alas, that also means not as clean.
    06-17-19 09:00 AM
    I'm not sure if the LE has the same rubber mat behind the keys just like the KEYone and KEY2.
    But if it does (which is likely), then it should seal liquids away from any electronics.
    However, the spacebar is a separate part so I would definitely be careful not to get any liquid near there.
    06-17-19 09:07 AM
    I am thinking of going back to a BlackBerry Key2 LE phone but I am in nursing school and will be wiping my phone with CaviWipe multiple times a day during a clinical day.

Any healthcare workers on here with pkb BlackBerry phones want to chime in?
    I think that a VKB phone with an IP67 rating like the BlackBerry Motion would be best but you might be okay with a PKB if you squeeze out the excess solution from the CaviWipe before cleaning the PKB phone because there currently is no PKB phones that have an IP rating probably due to the keyboard crevices being too difficult to protect from liquids.
    As you probably already know, the CaviWipe solution is mostly high percentage isopropyl alcohol. So be aware that wiping the glass display will eventually strip the oleophobic coating from it resulting in constant fingerprints & smudges. Any printed/painted surface will eventually lose the print/paint & any translucent plastic will eventually haze. You can immediately dry the surfaces after wiping with the CaviWipe to minimize those problems but that totally defeats the purpose of properly sanitizing the phone because you are supposed to let the surfaces air dry for the CaviWipe solution to be completely effective at destroying any nasty bacteria & viruses that may be present on your phone.
    I speak from experience as I am an EMT who works full time in a hospital ER. My employer doesn't use the CaviWipe brand but uses another brand that is basically the same thing. I don't remember the brand name right now but they buy 3 different versions of the wipes. The purple top containers are for general cleaning & sanitizing. The yellow top containers are practically bleach wipes used mainly for cleaning up blood or highly infectious fluids. The red top containers are meant to be used to clean electronic equipment such as ultrasound machines, ECG machines, monitors or other devices that have a display because the solution in those wipes are supposed to be safe for those surfaces. These are the ones that would be best for cleaning glass & phones IMO but I'm not sure of how well they kill viruses & bacteria because I've never actually read the label but I'd imagine they are acceptable enough. I'm admittedly kind of a "germaphobe" & don't touch my phone while at work unless I've washed my hands first or with clean gloves on. I have a Motion with an Incipio case on it & a glass screen protector. I wipe the Incipio case down with the purple top container wipes occasionally & let it air dry with no problems. But I use glass wipes made by Zeiss which are designed for cleaning optical glass such as on phones & cameras. Occasionally I will use alcohol preps to clean my phone with but I wipe the glass within 5 seconds afterward with a clean microfiber cloth to avoid the alcohol stripping the oleophobic coating from the glass. But honestly I still have constant smudges & finger prints probably because I've cleaned it with alcohol too many times. I hope this helps & good luck in Nursing school.
    skstrials likes this.
    06-17-19 09:53 AM
    I think that a VKB phone with an IP67 rating like the BlackBerry Motion would be best but you might be okay with a PKB if you squeeze out the excess solution from the CaviWipe before cleaning the PKB phone because there currently is no PKB phones that have an IP rating probably due to the keyboard crevices being too difficult to protect from liquids.
    As you probably already know, the CaviWipe solution is mostly high percentage isopropyl alcohol. So be aware that wiping the glass display will eventually strip the oleophobic coating from it resulting in constant fingerprints & smudges. Any printed/painted surface will eventually lose the print/paint & any translucent plastic will eventually haze. You can immediately dry the surfaces after wiping with the CaviWipe to minimize those problems but that totally defeats the purpose of properly sanitizing the phone because you are supposed to let the surfaces air dry for the CaviWipe solution to be completely effective at destroying any nasty bacteria & viruses that may be present on your phone.
    I speak from experience as I am an EMT who works full time in a hospital ER. My employer doesn't use the CaviWipe brand but uses another brand that is basically the same thing. I don't remember the brand name right now but they buy 3 different versions of the wipes. The purple top containers are for general cleaning & sanitizing. The yellow top containers are practically bleach wipes used mainly for cleaning up blood or highly infectious fluids. The red top containers are meant to be used to clean electronic equipment such as ultrasound machines, ECG machines, monitors or other devices that have a display because the solution in those wipes are supposed to be safe for those surfaces. These are the ones that would be best for cleaning glass & phones IMO but I'm not sure of how well they kill viruses & bacteria because I've never actually read the label but I'd imagine they are acceptable enough. I'm admittedly kind of a "germaphobe" & don't touch my phone while at work unless I've washed my hands first or with clean gloves on. I have a Motion with an Incipio case on it & a glass screen protector. I wipe the Incipio case down with the purple top container wipes occasionally & let it air dry with no problems. But I use glass wipes made by Zeiss which are designed for cleaning optical glass such as on phones & cameras. Occasionally I will use alcohol preps to clean my phone with but I wipe the glass within 5 seconds afterward with a clean microfiber cloth to avoid the alcohol stripping the oleophobic coating from the glass. But honestly I still have constant smudges & finger prints probably because I've cleaned it with alcohol too many times. I hope this helps & good luck in Nursing school.
    I tore down a KEYone keyboard and have seen teardown of the KEY2 (so we can assume the LE is similar) and just beneath the keys is a rubber mat that goes all the way across, aside from the spacebar which is a separate part.
    If the fingerprint sensor was on the power button or on the back of the phone, then the spacebar would have been the same as the other keys which means a few drops of water under the keys would do nothing, since it's just plastic and rubber.

Now, the Priv's keyboard is essentially water resistant which is why I want TCL to look into it for a future device

/blackberry-keyone-f445/why-pkb-can-have-ip-rating-1142880/
    06-17-19 10:15 AM
    I tore down a KEYone keyboard and have seen teardown of the KEY2 (so we can assume the LE is similar) and just beneath the keys is a rubber mat that goes all the way across, aside from the spacebar which is a separate part.
    If the fingerprint sensor was on the power button or on the back of the phone, then the spacebar would have been the same as the other keys which means a few drops of water under the keys would do nothing, since it's just plastic and rubber.

Now, the Priv's keyboard is essentially water resistant which is why I want TCL to look into it for a future device

/blackberry-keyone-f445/why-pkb-can-have-ip-rating-1142880/
    I understand & that's good info to know. The rubber mat helps for sure. Using the wipes may be totally fine as long as the phone isn't being waterboarded with the cleaning solution & because the solution is mostly alcohol that drys fairly quickly especially if a minimal amount of solution is used. Prior to my Motion I had a Q10 that I regularly cleaned with alcohol preps & never had problems. But the preps have a minimal amount of alcohol fluid in them compared to a CaviWipe which is designed for cleaning medium to large areas. My previous comments & reply are based of erring on the side of caution since the KEY series phones don't actually have an IP rating & most likely aren't covered under warranty for exposure to liquids/fluids.
    Last edited by The_Dark_Knight_Forever; 06-17-19 at 11:18 AM.
    06-17-19 10:43 AM
    Thanks for the reply!

I am not too worried about the oil resistant coating on the screen as I put a screen protector anyways.

I will give the CaviWipe a try with a Key2 LE and see what happens! I already have a Motion right now but I have been itching to go back to physical keyboard. I will report back after a couple months. Haha
    06-17-19 11:41 AM
    Thanks for the reply!

I am not too worried about the oil resistant coating on the screen as I put a screen protector anyways.

I will give the CaviWipe a try with a Key2 LE and see what happens! I already have a Motion right now but I have been itching to go back to physical keyboard. I will report back after a couple months. Haha
    Good luck!
    06-17-19 12:06 PM