Couldn't really figure out where to put this since it deals with three different phones, so I figured this was an appropriate home.

But anyways, I just became eligible for a full upgrade this week, coincidentally on the same day as the Torch release. I am currently using a Curve 8330 (on ATT) and I'm afraid it is on its last leg. A new phone is a must in my (relatively) immediate future.

I LOATHE touch screen texting, and I text at all hours of the day, so the Torch seemed like a decent answer to my unwillingness to join the rest of my family in the world of the iPhone. I was somewhat skeptical going into my Torch test run with all the pre-release complaints about it. However, I was somewhat impressed with it. The slider felt very solid, the resolution didn't bother me for my purposes, and it wasn't too laggy. I also really enjoyed the organization of OS6. However, a few things also bugged me. I don't know if it was just because the charger was plugged in and it had an annoying security mechanism on the back, but I didn't love the physical keyboard. Felt a little more difficult to use than other models. Also, the whole portrait/landscape switch confused itself a lot. Switched to landscape without me tilting it, lagged in returning to portrait. Felt a little clumsy. Lastly, the phone is just a little bulky.

I still could've seen myself walking out with the Torch that day, but then I made the big mistake that leaves me posting this thread to get opinions. I picked up the Bold 9700. It felt perfect in my hands. Solid. It was lightning quick navigating around with the track pad. I can't explain it in technical terms, but it just felt "sure" in what it was doing. I think it may have even been quicker than the Torch to upload some web pages. I liked the keyboard better too.

For some reason after A/B-ing the two phones, I have this subtle feeling that I might regret getting the Torch at some point. The slider feels solid today, but will it hold up for me? People are experiencing the metallic speaker sound and some other issues (relatively isolated), but nonetheless, should I take a leap of faith on the first incarnation of a phone? And I really need great battery performance. I'm afraid the wow factor of touch screen might not be worth the potential for poorer battery performance.

So it sounds easy. Get the Bold and be on my way. But the lurking 9780 poses a problem too. I'm a college student with college student funds, so I'd like to make one purchase and stick with it. I can't buy the Torch, play with it till the 9780 comes out, get the 9780, then hope to get good money for the Torch. So the problem is WHEN can I expect the 9780?

And would I be cheating myself by picking up a 9700 potentially weeks or a month before the 9780 release? I'm just that guy who worries about his purchase becoming immediately out of date (like when I purchased the 8330 without looking into the near future for other releases). Call it a personal problem, but I just have a concern picking up a phone (the 9700) that has already been out for so long, knowing that the refresh is coming soon.

So it sounds easy. Just wait. Well my Curve is dying, and has been for a while. If it were a human, it would have a respirator and be asking for its last rites. It's on its second casing, screen has a growing crack, battery life is falling fast, dropping calls left and right for some reason, and if my trackball gets stuck one more time I'm throwing it out the window and communicating via smoke signal till the 9780 comes out.

Sorry for writing a book about it, and I know there are a lot of opinion threads like this, but I figured some experts can honestly help me make my decision. If only RIM could just tell me WHEN on the 9780, I could rest easier with my decision.

Cliff notes version: I want to have my cake and eat it too. Now how do I do it?
    08-15-10 08:09 PM
    Basically, any phone is going to be a big upgrade over my 8330, but I don't know if I can justify the Torch if I don't love the keyboard that makes it desirable (plus the other concerns) and I don't know if I can justify the 9700 with the pending release of the 9780. But I don't know if I can wait for the 9780 if it would be any later than September.
    08-15-10 08:14 PM
    You can look in the rumor section for the speculated days of the 9780. I understand your plight. Normally, I would say keep your curve a little while longer, but there is nothing worse than having a device that doesn't work properly. If you like the feel if the 9700, then I would buy that. It is supposed to be upgraded to OS 6, so you should be good for a while. I wouldn't get the Torch unless you were really taken with it. Personally, I think it is awesome, but I like touchscreen devices. Good luck in deciding. It looks like no matter which device you choose its going to be a good one.
    08-15-10 08:31 PM
    Oooo....decisions, decisions. I was in the same boat a little while ago and got the 9700. I wasn't particularly fond of the 9800 and a release time frame for the 9780 is all speculation. I think with OS 6 coming to the 9700, purchasing that would be a solid decision. I personally didn't have the patience to wait it out for the 9780 (which is what I'd do, if I could), but if you care about the slightly improved specs on the 9780, wait it out. I'm hoping the 9700 has the firepower to run OS 6 smoothly. The 9780 will come with OS 6 out of the box and it'll run smoothly. So my vote is......the 9700 (purely because of the time you could be waiting on the 9780)...
    Last edited by Simba501; 08-15-10 at 08:37 PM.
    08-15-10 08:32 PM
    Yeah, my concern is how well the 9700 will run OS6 as opposed to the 9780. Either way I think another test drive of the 9800 and the 9700 is in order.
    08-16-10 12:00 AM
    I took my husband from an 8330 to a 8520. He was very happy because those are the only 2 BlackBerry's he's ever had. He had the 8330 6 months when I gave him the 9700. He was ESTATIC and rightfully so. He's not ready for the 9800. He doesn't utelize the features he has. He can use his 9700 well is what I'm trying to say, but a lot of the phones capabilties are not being used. So I know the 9800 would be way to much phone for him. Why have a device which features you don't use just to say "I have the latest". Find a fone you'll USE and stick with it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-10 12:11 AM
    I upgraded from a 8300 to the torch, I also don't like texting with the touchscreen. I would suggest you give it a try at the store, I love this phone beacuse it has a physical keyboard and you don't have to use the screen to type. Good luck.

08-16-10 12:16 AM
    If you can wait at least until an OS6 leak comes out for the 9700 that's probably your best bet. Then you'll be able to see feedback on how the 256mb phone can run OS6 without the increased memory of it's replacement device.

08-16-10 10:07 AM
    Well I tested the phones again today for a decent amount of time. I've opened up to the Torch physical keyboard, and found myself typing surprisingly fast on the landscape mode touch keyboard as well. Both had minimal wiggle on the slider but one was glitching up really badly and freezing when I opened the time/network settings up. I assume it was just that phone because I haven't encountered it anywhere else. Anyways, after today the Torch is becoming increasingly appealing. I think I could be happy with it if I could get one without the metallic sounding speaker issue or any of the other couple issues floating around.

I can't see myself picking up a phone that has been out as long as the 9700 has, after what happened to me with my 8330 (rapid development as soon as I bought the older model), and I'm worried about how OS6 will run on the 9700. So I guess I've narrowed it down to getting the Torch or waiting on the 9780.
    08-16-10 06:59 PM
    Well I tested the phones again today for a decent amount of time. I've opened up to the Torch physical keyboard, and found myself typing surprisingly fast on the landscape mode touch keyboard as well. Both had minimal wiggle on the slider but one was glitching up really badly and freezing when I opened the time/network settings up. I assume it was just that phone because I haven't encountered it anywhere else. Anyways, after today the Torch is becoming increasingly appealing. I think I could be happy with it if I could get one without the metallic sounding speaker issue or any of the other couple issues floating around.

I can't see myself picking up a phone that has been out as long as the 9700 has, after what happened to me with my 8330 (rapid development as soon as I bought the older model), and I'm worried about how OS6 will run on the 9700. So I guess I've narrowed it down to getting the Torch or waiting on the 9780.
    Not to Muddy the water.

BUT you could look on craigslist, or even here in the market place and see if you can get a used phone for Cheap to fill out your contract, maybe $100, resell it for $50 when the 9780 comes about.

That would be what I would look at doing, even on a modest budget.
    08-16-10 07:08 PM
    u r obviously not into touch screen phones...my advice: get the 9700...upgrade the OS later.....unless the 5MP camera is a big deal for u..then u have to wait along with the rest of us "9780 lovers"
    08-16-10 07:28 PM
    I am with DeRusset on this one...or just keep trying to plug away with current phone in case you don't want to spend some dough, but I have seen some nice Bold 9000's sell for 150 and under with all the accessories, which is an awesome phone! Use that till the 9780 comes out and use 9000 as a spare or resale that...

Torch is nice, but with any 1st generation, it will have its bugs...so if you can deal with that and update the OS from time to time to hopefully fix those bugs, then go that route..even read they are selling them half off due to lackluster sales...

08-17-10 02:14 AM
    My BB freezes and I think it is cause the OS
    08-19-10 01:54 AM
    The article on the 9780 says release date is Oct/10
    08-19-10 12:31 PM
    I am looking at a similar dilemma. The lack of memory on my 9000 has grown old with me. I am looking at several options. A) 9800 B) 9780 or C) Sell my soul to Satan and go with an Iphone 4.

I have handled the 9800 and IPhones in the store. The 9800 feels fine, but I just can't quite convince myself that a slider is right for me. The 97xx feels very good to me, but is not as "cutting edge" (whatever the %$#@ that means) as some others. The IPhone, while seemingly a wonderful handheld computer, seems to be pretty crappy as a plain old telephone plus, I hate jumping on bandwagons.

I'm almost glad the 9780 is a month or two off. I'll see what others' thoughts are before pulling the trigger on an upgrade.

BTW: I have an old 8310 for work and love it for what it does.
    08-19-10 01:26 PM
    Well, as a total gadget geek (among o many other "toys" i buy) here's my pretty experienced opinion. Also, keep in mind, the money is not an object, so, it's hard for me to help Assess that aspect.

I just got a 9800, after 10 months of using the 9700. The 9700 is great. And, I also carry an iPhone 4. But, the Blackberries are far quicker to take a picture than the iPhone, so, i use my Blackberry for pics. As well, I write long emails, and, the physical keyboard is the deal maker to never give up my Blackberry.

So, i would definitely go for the (pending) 9780, or the 9800, and not the 9700.

You will find that OS6, when available, may take up a lot of free memory of the paltry 256mb of RAM of the 9700. As a matter of fact, I was down to 5mb free on my 9700 when I switched.

The big thought for me is, the 5 mp camera, is a deal maker, in the long run. If you take a lot of pictures now, for memories, 10, 20 years from now, you'll appreciate 5 mp pictures, a lot more than 3.2. It's worth the extra months wait. That said, by then, you will laugh at your friends low tech 20 GIGAPIXEL camera phone!!!

The 9800 Im still assessing. There's a lot I like about it, and, a few quirky things. The touch screen addition actually causes me MORE work than the 9700. Because I have 2 options now - "thumbing" AND touching. It's a little weird mind game play as to which to use, and when, but, that may be a quirk that could subside over the next week or 2. My one complaint is, there doesn't seem to be an orientation lock option, so, sometimes, the sometimes back and forth, landscape-portrait switching drives me nuts, when Im holding the phone in a position that's not for sure horizontal, or vertical.

if you are mainly interested in messaging, and taking pictures, stick with the 9780. If you also like more " enjoyable" content, such as multimedia, and better web experience, go for the 9800, with the more luxurious screen.

If yore like me,, who wants his cake, and eat it, too, carry a 9780, or 9800, AND an iPhone 4!
    10-09-10 12:30 PM
    I'm going to agree with those who are warning against the 9700. It's a fantastic phone, but it's gong to be out of date in a month as they start to roll out the BBOS6 models... if you like the 9700, then i'd get the OS6 equivalent shortly.. 9780 i think?

Otherwise i can recommend the Torch, highly.. i love this phone. I haven't had it long, but i've been so impressed with it so far.. i think some of the negative comments have been from those who didn't upgrade to the .246 OS yet.. this particular one seems to be quite stable and fluid.

Plus the best feature is the ability to use the trackpad on the touch screen.. it really does make the experience so much better for those of us who aren't touch screen fans. I NEED the physical keyboard.. and the funny thing is, if work hadn't supplied this for me, i would have never considered the Torch.. but i love it!
    10-11-10 01:22 AM
    Like people have said above, the 9780 will make the 9700 obsolete.

which should drastically decrease the 9700 price.

no comment on torch, i've used it for about 10 days only, and i liked it.
    10-11-10 02:07 AM
    I'm going to agree with those who are warning against the 9700. It's a fantastic phone, but it's gong to be out of date in a month as they start to roll out the BBOS6 models... if you like the 9700, then i'd get the OS6 equivalent shortly.. 9780 i think?

Otherwise i can recommend the Torch, highly.. i love this phone. I haven't had it long, but i've been so impressed with it so far.. i think some of the negative comments have been from those who didn't upgrade to the .246 OS yet.. this particular one seems to be quite stable and fluid.

Plus the best feature is the ability to use the trackpad on the touch screen.. it really does make the experience so much better for those of us who aren't touch screen fans. I NEED the physical keyboard.. and the funny thing is, if work hadn't supplied this for me, i would have never considered the Torch.. but i love it!
    I also read somewhere that a new update is coming soon that will make the Torch very snappy and responsive and that all of the issues that people were having will be addressed. I believe the article said that it was to be pushed out in the coming weeks. BGR I think.

10-11-10 06:42 AM
    This was interesting.
    10-11-10 07:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD