12-05-11 02:53 PM
    That's was an interesting interview.

The part about RIM interested me. I took from that, the only software for RIM they offered was that OTA software we found on their website. Did anyone else read anything else from that part?
    12-05-11 03:18 PM
    That's was an interesting interview.

The part about RIM interested me. I took from that, the only software for RIM they offered was that OTA software we found on their website. Did anyone else read anything else from that part?
    Yes. It means the f*****g carriers can load that 3rd party app crap if the phone manufacturer doesn't want to play ball with them. At least it's deletable in this form though. To hear that some of the manufacturers are loading it onto their firmware before shipping does not sit well with me. I guess maybe that's why HTC, Apple, Samsung, and Motorola have been included in the latest class action.
    Last edited by Jake2826; 12-05-11 at 03:44 PM.
    12-05-11 03:26 PM
    Great article and interview. Very informative.

Just a little sidenote, at the bottom of the article it mentioned the co-interviewer was none other than Dieter Bohn. Just thought that was an interesting tie-back to the SPE/Mobile Nations sites.
    12-05-11 04:03 PM
    I have a T-mobile 9900 and i see no evidence of CIQ loaded.
    If it is embedded on myAccount app and it transmits the data every 24 hours as T-mobile mentioned, then there should be a process running to do that.
    I checked the e-screen and the myAccount process does not run when the app is closed.
    12-05-11 04:30 PM
    Someone found it in that app. I guess if you look at the modules within the app, you'll see it.
    12-05-11 04:39 PM
    Thanks for posting this. The part about RIM devices confirms what RIM says and what others here have said that CarrierIQ is not imbedded within BBOS. I still don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from CarrierIQ, the whole being seriously hidden thing doesn't set well with me. Then the other question is if the log in question isn't CarrierIQ's, who's is it?
    12-06-11 12:12 AM
    Thanks for posting this. The part about RIM devices confirms what RIM says and what others here have said that CarrierIQ is not imbedded within BBOS. I still don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from CarrierIQ, the whole being seriously hidden thing doesn't set well with me. Then the other question is if the log in question isn't CarrierIQ's, who's is it?
    The Android version seems to make multiple copies so at this point it sounds like HTC and Sprint (in the case of the Evo 3D). For Apple, it sounds like only they get the log since what they admitted to doing sounds more like diagnostics and not complete spying like shown in the video (and you can opt out).

I am sure now that more lawsuits have been filed, we will be hearing more and more about what they are doing who is getting the info. Like Coward says, he is under contractual agreement, but if the info is forced out that wont matter.
    Last edited by avt123; 12-06-11 at 05:41 AM.
    12-06-11 05:34 AM
    US Cellular added to first post.
    12-06-11 01:35 PM
    Am I the only one who thinks this "scare" is totally blown out of proportion? Many of the things the media is reporting seems suspect and there are a lot of assumptions that were made that were completely incorrect.

"It's also on Nokia and RIM phones" They don't make it for Nokia phones and only on a few BBs. Not based on research, sounds like he just took a stab. Makes the story seem much more scary though.

"It records the numbers you call/text" Ever seen your detailed phone bill?
    "It logs the text of SMSes" Why would a carrier do that ON THE DEVICE when all that stuff already goes through them? It's not like SMS is highly encrypted and with this model, you would be doubling your traffic to get something that will be passing down the line anyway.

Even the name itself just shouts carrier tool. Don't people realize that practically everything electronic logs its actions? Probably not, as we had people that were SHOCKED that the keyless entry system was recording its actions at my last firm.

It's more of an Android logging failure than a spyware intrusion...
    12-06-11 08:24 PM
    I think much of the alarm stems from the uncertainty of how much of the information is being transmitted to a third party (Carrier IQ and/or someone else e.g. the government) and all of the secrecy about it. Why have the carriers gone to such great lengths to hide this "tool" and why haven't they been more forthcoming about which devices have it, where on the devices it's installed, etc. It's implemented and it seems to behave like spyware. This is the time to say to the carriers what people love to say to privacy conscious individuals: if you've done nothing wrong, you shouldn't have anything to hide, and you should tell us everything.
    Last edited by T�nis; 12-06-11 at 10:09 PM.
    12-06-11 08:44 PM
    Yes. It means the f*****g carriers can load that 3rd party app crap if the phone manufacturer doesn't want to play ball with them. At least it's deletable in this form though. To hear that some of the manufacturers are loading it onto their firmware before shipping does not sit well with me. I guess maybe that's why HTC, Apple, Samsung, and Motorola have been included in the latest class action.
    So CIQ that is factory installed and activated/enabled does so by the oems and not the carriers. CIQ that is factory installed but not activated/enabled by the oems can do so by the carriers. HOW? How is the program accessed to activate/enable CIQ on a user's device?

So what if CIQ is not factory installed but is downloaded. How is that accomplished? Do the carriers do it themselves or use a third party to do it. Would a platform for updates of mobile devices be used, such as a OMADM?
    01-04-12 03:43 PM
    So CIQ that is factory installed and activated/enabled does so by the oems and not the carriers. CIQ that is factory installed but not activated/enabled by the oems can do so by the carriers. HOW? How is the program accessed to activate/enable CIQ on a user's device?

So what if CIQ is not factory installed but is downloaded. How is that accomplished? Do the carriers do it themselves or use a third party to do it. Would a platform for updates of mobile devices be used, such as a OMADM?
    Apparently the carriers order the devices with Carrier IQ pre-installed, baked into the operating systems of the phones, by the manufacturers whenever possible. That's how they did it with the htc devices they supplied/furnished. RIM has stated that it does not "pre-install" or authorize carriers to install Carrier IQ on BlackBerry devices. Therefore, in the case of BlackBerry devices, the carriers have included Carrier IQ by bundling it into a third party app (typically one of their own). (This has become evident because Carrier IQ was found to be buried in T-Mobile's "My Account" app.) The good thing about this is that the BlackBerry user can avoid Carrier IQ by not using and granting permissions to the spyware-ridden app. At least that's my understanding of it.
    01-04-12 03:58 PM
    Apparently the carriers order the devices with Carrier IQ pre-installed, baked into the operating systems of the phones, by the manufacturers whenever possible. That's how they did it with the htc devices they supplied/furnished. RIM has stated that it does not "pre-install" or authorize carriers to install Carrier IQ on BlackBerry devices. Therefore, in the case of BlackBerry devices, the carriers have included Carrier IQ by bundling it into a third party app (typically one of their own). (This has become evident because Carrier IQ was found to be buried in T-Mobile's "My Account" app.) The good thing about this is that the BlackBerry user can avoid Carrier IQ by not using and granting permissions to the spyware-ridden app. At least that's my understanding of it.
    "We figured the whole Carrier IQ business would eventually make every major mobile manufacturer and carrier come out and state their stance on the software. Research In Motion has released a statement making it known they do not install Carrier IQ or allow their carrier partners to do so. Through their partner T-MoNews.com, T-Mobile has made it known that they do in fact install Carrier IQ in certain smartphones. As far as BlackBerry users are concerned, they have it installed in all 3 main OS 7 devices carried by T-Mobile.
    �BlackBerry Bold 9900

�BlackBerry Curve 9360

�BlackBerry Torch 2 9810
    According to T-Mobile, while they do install Carrier IQ onto these devices, they claim not to use it to keep track of personal data of its users but instead to improve their experience. Issues like dropped calls, battery performance, and application issues can all be monitored through the use of Carrier IQ.

T-Mobile is able to install this software through the "My Account" app that's pre-loaded onto all its phones. Once a user clicks on the app and accepts the terms and conditions, Carrier IQ begins to have access to the information state previously. If a user never clicks on the My Account app or doesn't agree to the terms and conditions in the app, then Carrier IQ simply will not be enabled on their device.

A lot of questions still remain as we get more and more information about how Carrier IQ is present in each device from every carrier that enables it. One thing to think about though, if it really goes against RIM's carrier-partnership policy to have Carrier IQ installed in a BlackBerry smartphone, how will they react to this news?
    �Do you think a lawsuit is in order against T-Mobile from RIM or is this no big deal? Let us know in the forums. "

Interesting. Anyone that can help clear it up feel free to contact me
    Attorney Joe Malley
    Dallas Texas
    malleylawatgmail.com
    01-04-12 04:34 PM
189 ... 678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD