I looked through my service books and saw that one and about had a fit. A quick google search set my mind at ease.
    Didn't recognIze ICQ? I suddenly feel very, very old. :O

It'll be a third party app if it exists on a BlackBerry. Or built into one.
    12-01-11 05:55 PM
    The BlackBerry CarrierIQ download page has been pulled it appears. http://ota.carrieriq.com/rim is gone. Anyone still have a copy of the app?
    12-02-11 06:45 AM
    Yet i have to see any proof that Carrier IQ is on any nookia or blackberry phone pre installed.So far only Apple and Samsung admited that they put it on their phones...but no one really know that the softwaer does, beside it sends some data.
    Only one hacker named trevor asserted thats is on 140 million phones and after that relased a app for 1 USD which solves the problem... for me thats a 140 million dollar app there.

Im not saying he is lieing and i dont try to defend that CIQ software ... if its true what he said its indeed a privacy issue.But so far i only see alot of talk but no facts ... our only source of information is one hacker and a video which could also be a fake imo.

Just saying....
    12-02-11 08:06 AM
    Yet i have to see any proof that Carrier IQ is on any nookia or blackberry phone pre installed.So far only Apple and Samsung admited that they put it on their phones...but no one really know that the softwaer does, beside it sends some data.
    Only one hacker named trevor asserted thats is on 140 million phones and after that relased a app for 1 USD which solves the problem... for me thats a 140 million dollar app there.

Im not saying he is lieing and i dont try to defend that CIQ software ... if its true what he said its indeed a privacy issue.But so far i only see alot of talk but no facts ... our only source of information is one hacker and a video which could also be a fake imo.

Just saying....
    Actually Carrier IQ states they are on 150 million phones worldwide. It's posted on the homepage of their website.
    12-02-11 08:49 AM

Just saying....

Actually Carrier IQ states they are on 150 million phones worldwide. It's posted on the homepage of their website.
    I did not doubt the numbers ... also 50kk or 200kk dont make a difference to me.

Maybe i expressed myself in a strange way there.... im also not a native speaker.
    What i want to point out was that trevor has a good reason to lie ... even if only 1% of those 140kk download his app he got his retirement.He would be much more trustworthy if the had not released this app or made it free.
    Also makeing panic about sensitive data is a good way to move people to download his app.
    Both sides trevor and also the carrier/manufactorys/CIQ have a good reason to lie.
    Last edited by KoreAairlines; 12-02-11 at 09:51 AM.
    12-02-11 09:16 AM
    Didn't recognIze ICQ? I suddenly feel very, very old. :O

It'll be a third party app if it exists on a BlackBerry. Or built into one.
    UH OH! hahahaah. I still remember my number by heart.
    12-02-11 10:17 AM
    Using a factory device (9650 running OS 6) i downloaded from ota.carrieriq.com/rim. The modules were not present on the device fresh out of the box, or on any device where i manually updated the software. Also, the application MUST be granted trusted status in order to work properly. I installed the app (and set all permissions to DENY).

Below is a list of modules in the "Stable" OS 6 release:
    Application Module - IQAgent
    Library Modules - IQAgent-1
    IQAgent-10
    IQAgent-11
    IQAgent-12
    IQAgent-13
    IQAgent-14
    IQAgent-15
    IQAgent-16
    IQAgent-17
    IQAgent-2
    IQAgent-3
    IQAgent-4
    IQAgent-5
    IQAgent-6
    IQAgent-7
    IQAgent-8
    IQAgent-9

The app also requests the following access:
    USB
    Bluetooth
    Phone
    Location Data
    Server Network
    Internet
    WI-FI
    Cross Application Communication
    Device Settings
    Media
    Application Management
    Themes
    Input Simulation
    Browser Filtering
    Recording
    Security Timer Reset
    Display Information while Locked
    Email
    Organizer Data
    Files
    Security Data

I can also confirm that there is no icon for this application, though it does show under "IQAgent" in the application management listing and is listed as optional.

Update:
    The application and all listed modules removes easily with a delete of the application. No wipe or extreme measures needed. I do not think BlackBerry users need to be worried about this app, if its found, simply go in and uninstall it.
    Thank you for doing this and sharing your findings. This proves that when a user installs the software himself, he can find it and delete it. What's still unclear to me is whether the version(s) being installed by carriers can be installed, hidden, and made difficult or impossible to detect by the end user. In a practical sense, a BIS carrier is a BES admin. He could have a more covert version available to him than what's available to an end user as a third party app.

I've spent more than an hour on the phone with all levels of Sprint customer service including tech support. I got all the usual corporate answers that have already been mentioned in this and other threads. I asked Sprint to confirm whether or not Carrier IQ is on my phone and , if so, how it can be disabled or deleted. The final outcome is that I spoke with retentions who confirmed with the "best" level of tech support that Sprint cannot confirm whether or not Carrier IQ is on my phone. It was suggested that I take my device to a corporate store or service center to see if there I could be helped. I informed retentions that I will make up my mind whether I will keep or drop Sprint by the end of my billing cycle (Jan. 4). My etf is $180.00. No problem. I paid Sprint $460.00 (including international calls) for my phone and WLAN connection card. I'll be pleased to pay the etf and say goodbye to Sprint, BlackBerry, and all the other pass-the-buck spies if, by then, my questions aren't answered/resolved to my satisfaction.
    12-02-11 11:03 AM
    Would removing the Sprint certificates protect against any possibility that they are reaping my private information via Carrier IQ? What fallout would come from that other than not being able to run Sprint apps?
    Last edited by Maestrodog; 12-02-11 at 12:39 PM.
    12-02-11 11:47 AM
    I just went to the Sprint corporate store. Same useless dead end. I was told it's on "94%" of phones, but no one can confirm whether it's on mine. I was also told that it's not at any kind of a user accessi ble level. What this absolutely confirms is that the telecommunications industry is acting (like the banks) as the government's superspy. Sprint keeps insisting that Sprint can't see the data, pics, messages, etc. RIM says RIM didn't put it there, and I believe that part. Someone did. Either Sprint or a third party. Sprint says Sprint can't see the data, but [I]someone[i/] can. That leaves Carrier cIa-Q (not surpprisingly a private company) or another third party.
    12-02-11 12:07 PM
    If Blackberry/RIM and/or Sprint doesn't step up with a tool to confirm, remove and/or block this disgusting, immoral and undoubtedly illegal privacy invasion within a week or two, they will all lose my business for perpetuity.

Can you hear me now?
    12-02-11 12:13 PM
    Yup. Sprint's official bs statement is that it's using the spyware to improve the customer's experience. But it's about to lose customers! The spyware can't possibly mean so much to the carriers themselves that they're willing to lose customers over it. And this is why I say the carriers are doing this for the US government. If they weren't, they'd be more forthcoming and willing to locate, disable, and/or remove the spyware. That is if the reason really is what they say it is and if they really are concerned about the customer and his experience.
    Last edited by T�nis; 12-02-11 at 12:32 PM.
    12-02-11 12:20 PM
    Intersting discussion:

Re: Does CarrierIQ run on BlackBerry devices? - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

From Page Two:

"On BlackBerry, third party applications can only capture keystrokes when they are in the foreground (their screen is shown)." --Mark Sohm, BlackBerry Development Advisor

and:

"If you check your module list, either on the phone or with javaloader, you see all modules. A 'hidden' application would be a system module, but still visible in the module list."

Could someone please provide in layman's terms the steps for doing this?
    12-02-11 04:25 PM
    As long as my Crackberry &+ music files are safe from being monitered I'm content

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-11 04:27 PM
    Intersting discussion:

Re: Does CarrierIQ run on BlackBerry devices? - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

From Page Two:

"On BlackBerry, third party applications can only capture keystrokes when they are in the foreground (their screen is shown)." --Mark Sohm, BlackBerry Development Advisor

and:

"If you check your module list, either on the phone or with javaloader, you see all modules. A 'hidden' application would be a system module, but still visible in the module list."

Could someone please provide in layman's terms the steps for doing this?
    I'm only on OS5, but I think he means Options-Applications-Menu-Modules.

Edit: Is it safe to assume it can't be a "net_rim_" module?
    Last edited by Blacklac; 12-02-11 at 04:54 PM.
    12-02-11 04:51 PM
    I'm only on OS5, but I think he means Options-Applications-Menu-Modules.

Edit: Is it safe to assume it can't be a "net_rim_" module?
    Thank you for this. I'm looking through mine, and there are certainly a lot of modules to go through. In mine, there is none named "carrier" or containing "IQ," but there are ones named "diagnostic." Those are "net_rim" modules, and I don't know the answer to what you've asked as far as that's concerned.

It's important to note that the second quote I included is not from the same person (the BlackBerry advisor from the first quote) rather from another participant. Therefore, I don't know if the suggestion of looking at the modules would even decisively determine whether or not Carrier IQ or something similar is on a BlackBerry, but it's probably a good place to start.
    12-02-11 05:05 PM
    Thank you for this. I'm looking through mine, and there are certainly a lot of modules to go through. In mine, there is none named "carrier" or containing "IQ," but there are ones named "diagnostic." Those are "net_rim" modules, and I don't know the answer to what you've asked as far as that's concerned.

It's important to note that the second quote I included is not from the same person (the BlackBerry advisor from the first quote) rather from another participant. Therefore, I don't know if the suggestion of looking at the modules would even decisively determine whether or not Carrier IQ or something similar is on a BlackBerry, but it's probably a good place to start.
    Well, i know if you highlight a module and hit "Menu-Properties" it will show what it is asking permission for.

Edit: No, that is wrong. Only Apps show that.
    Last edited by Blacklac; 12-02-11 at 05:29 PM.
    12-02-11 05:26 PM
    Well I upgraded my 9650 today with the new OS6 from sprint. Now I've got to find out if Carrier IQ is in the version upgrade.
    12-02-11 06:12 PM
    Well I upgraded my 9650 today with the new OS6 from sprint. Now I've got to find out if Carrier IQ is in the version upgrade.
    From the other thread, T-Mo apparently puts it in their preinstalled "My Account" app, so be sure to check over Sprints preinstalled APps and what they require permission for.
    12-02-11 06:20 PM
    My notion was they rushed out a new OS without it or with a reduced version of it that doesn't log your every thought... or of course with it on double secret probation...
    12-02-11 06:30 PM
    My notion was they rushed out a new OS without it or with a reduced version of it that doesn't log your every thought... or of course with it on double secret probation...
    Yes, the timing of Sprint's recent OS upgrade is suspect. I installed it, and my BlackBerry is considerably snappier. Hopefully that means Carrier IQ has been eliminated.
    12-02-11 06:36 PM
    From the other thread, T-Mo apparently puts it in their preinstalled "My Account" app, so be sure to check over Sprints preinstalled APps and what they require permission for.
    What's interesting is that those apps are on my device as icons. For example, "Sprint Zone" is one of them. I never ran any of those bloatware apps, and they don't appear in my applications list. Just for fun, I clicked on one of the icons ("Sprint Zone"), and when it opened, up came the RIM agree/don't agree page. I clicked "don't agree," and it closed. Hopefully, by not installing and running any of that garbage, I avoided opening the Carrier IQ can of worms on my device. Then again, I could have no idea what I'm talking about, lol.
    12-02-11 06:42 PM
    Yeah, Sprint TV is one of those friggin things that forces itself on every time you reboot and is very slow and cumbersome to turn off.

Only other app that I've seen that behaves like that is the highly suspicious Socialscope.

Highly unfriendly and worrisome behavior for an app. Think of how very many behave just the opposite of that.
    12-02-11 06:50 PM
    Yeah, Sprint TV is one of those friggin things that forces itself on every time you reboot and is very slow and cumbersome to turn off.
    Does it ask for any juicy permission that it doesn't need?
    12-02-11 06:53 PM
    Here's the "my account" app for the Sprint 9650:

Free Sprint Zone App

It's called "Sprint Zone." I never gave it permission to install or run. At this point it's just a bloatware icon.
    12-02-11 07:03 PM
    Does it ask for any juicy permission that it doesn't need?
    Can't recall, I got so sick of it coming on when I rebooted that I denied it phone access, as well, needless to say, as all user data and anything else sensitive. I've got the Sprint Football app too, but also set with high protections across the board. Probably won't even work. I'm going on a delete party this weekend and nuking any app that causes me any hassle based on my permissions standards.

Really though, the Carrier IQ stuff is probably operating from somewhere deeper than the application arena. I do believe that Sprint would be far more prudent than the vast majority of the third party app providers as well. Sprint has too much to lose. The types of dorks who make stuff like Angry Birds and set it to harvest your phone number, contacts, files, locations and everything else that helps them market not only TO you but market YOU to others, make no such promises and have by comparison nothing to lose in terms of branding and loyalty. Not letting Sprint off the hook, just pointing out that for most of us, they probably aren't spending a lot of time stealing our contacts and marketing them to predatory swine. The fact that they could, however, is grounds for dismissal.

I hope this CIQ idiocy wakes a lot of people up to the app privacy/permissions nightmare. I've been hollering about it for years and people just never seem to get it. Last I saw, something like 70 percent of ALL Blackberry users, including enterprise admins, never even bothered with the security permissions. Just millions of people granting trusted status and not even bothering to deny games and things access to user data that has less than nothing to do with the function of the software.

Sure, nothing might come of it. Eventually though, you'll be denied insurance, for instance, because some company bought a list of your web searches and determined you spent too much time researching, oh, say venereal disease. Maybe you won't get a job because some big corporation got a dossier on you from an information aggregator that determined too many of your contacts are medical marijuana users, or follow Wikileaks on Twitter or.... you get my point.

This is the world we are in now. As Andrew Grove famously stated, Only The Paranoid Survive.
    12-02-11 07:10 PM
189 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD