i too am very concerned about this considering the security of blackberry was the main reason i'm still using the platform. that said, i'll wait to see more of this develop...

since this is shown as proof for android, my question would be how would it, if at all, affect or potentially be implemented in the android player for the playbook?

anyone running the 2.0 beta care to test that out?
    I don't see why this would be in the Android player. This isn't present on all Android devices either.
    11-30-11 07:32 PM
    Search some more... it's NOT in the kernel.
    By that I mean calls to the carrier iq software are in the kernel code. On Android devices that use carrier iq, this is clearly visible. You cannot just remove carrier iq from a phone short of using a custom rom.

This is why their software has literally admin privileges and can log anything behind the scenes.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    11-30-11 07:33 PM
    Looking at the Carrier IQ careers page, its looking for staff who have experience of all major phone OS's...except Blackberry (unless I missed it!)

This includes iPhone...yet none of the articles on this root-kit mentions the iPhone having a problem
    Thanks for not editing.......and the job description says and so on......they are looking for mobile phone devs, you could have included symbian, Windows mobile and ALL the other ones in the job description they are looking for experienced Android Developers......

And if I misconstrued your sniping at the iPhone I apologize....
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 11-30-11 at 07:42 PM.
    11-30-11 07:38 PM
    Let's look into this further.
    11-30-11 08:46 PM
    i know this is being discussed at mobile nations, but over at gizmodo, where they're running a story on this ( Your Android Phone Is Secretly Recording Everything You Do (Updated) ) , Nokia has already responded with the following:
    =============
    Update from Nokia's PR firm Next15, Gretchen Bender: I know you've followed today's news that software from CarrierIQ has been found on Nokia devices. I wanted to quickly reach out following your story to let you know that in fact, CarrierIQ does not ship products for any Nokia devices. Therefore, these reports are inaccurate.
    ==============

it would be reassuring if RIM were to do the same thing, and quickly...(?)
    11-30-11 09:28 PM
    11-30-11 09:31 PM
    It would seem that they've found traces of CarrierIQ in iOS as well, according to this article:

Carrier IQ references discovered in Apple's iOS | The Verge
    11-30-11 09:47 PM
    i know this is being discussed at mobile nations, but over at gizmodo, where they're running a story on this ( Your Android Phone Is Secretly Recording Everything You Do (Updated) ) , Nokia has already responded with the following:
    =============
    Update from Nokia's PR firm Next15, Gretchen Bender: I know you've followed today's news that software from CarrierIQ has been found on Nokia devices. I wanted to quickly reach out following your story to let you know that in fact, CarrierIQ does not ship products for any Nokia devices. Therefore, these reports are inaccurate.
    ==============

it would be reassuring if RIM were to do the same thing, and quickly...(?)
    Apparently HTC denied it was on their phone too, atleast to their knowledge. In the video, the App has their logo and Trademark on it and they deny that even.

Frankly, if RIM came out and denied this software was on BB's, Im not so sure I'd fully believe them.
    11-30-11 09:48 PM
    11-30-11 11:04 PM
    Does CarrierIQ run on BlackBerry devices? - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Read the second post. Nobody gets access to RIM's kernel.
    interesting that the link referenced in that post comes up 404...

i still think it would be in RIM's best interest to comment on this now because it makes me wonder if this is how they (RIM) were able to satisfy those countries that wanted to be able to access the communications of their citizens who use bbm/email/etc. info.

They may not have given up the keys to the kingdom, they just left the front door unlocked...?
    12-01-11 12:12 AM
    interesting that the link referenced in that post comes up 404...

i still think it would be in RIM's best interest to comment on this now because it makes me wonder if this is how they (RIM) were able to satisfy those countries that wanted to be able to access the communications of their citizens who use bbm/email/etc. info.

They may not have given up the keys to the kingdom, they just left the front door unlocked...?
    that link has an unnecessary comma at the end. Remove that, and it works.
    12-01-11 12:25 AM
    Does anybody remember this scandal in UAE?:
    http://www.blackberrycool.com/2009/0...kberry-update/

I wonder if it was CIQ they used.

By the way, the carrier only approve OS versions, they can't modify them, if anything was put in would have to be put by RIM.
    12-01-11 12:29 AM
    Why would it be so hard to believe? If Jared Co can do it through a simple app, I'm sure a carrier has the where-with-all to pull it off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yes but they do it by you granting the application you install permission to access your personal data, which by the way can be disabled by editing the app permission

Carrier IQ is compiled into the base OS. You can't just remove it by removing some COD file. Its in the kernel. LOL. Some research helps.
    Also if you're on Sprint the likelihood of this being in your phone is very high.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    Would you mind to back up this statement to demonstrate this app is installed at the kernel level.

By that I mean calls to the carrier iq software are in the kernel code. On Android devices that use carrier iq, this is clearly visible. You cannot just remove carrier iq from a phone short of using a custom rom.
    This is why their software has literally admin privileges and can log anything behind the scenes.
    Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    yes it can be removed, in fact THERE IS AN APP FOR THAT

Now checking on the running processes on the BlackBerry Bold 9900 running os 7.1 via the e-screens there is nothing IQ related running on there
    12-01-11 12:57 AM
    It would seem that they've found traces of CarrierIQ in iOS as well, according to this article:

Carrier IQ references discovered in Apple's iOS | The Verge
    Well this sucks.

Although it is being tweeted that this only seems to be active if you have diagnostics running.

Still BS either way. This needs to be stopped.
    12-01-11 02:53 AM
    RIM's silence so far is telling. If the report of Blackberry being loaded with this crap was false, RIM would have spoken up immediately, as Nokia did.

RIM needs to come out and clarify this NOW. This is a considerable violation of the law, knowingly, with malice. I hope major phone execs get jail time for this.
    12-01-11 05:32 AM
    RIM's silence so far is telling. If the report of Blackberry being loaded with this crap was false, RIM would have spoken up immediately, as Nokia did.

RIM needs to come out and clarify this NOW. This is a considerable violation of the law, knowingly, with malice. I hope major phone execs get jail time for this.
    Using a factory device (9650 running OS 6) i downloaded from ota.carrieriq.com/rim. The modules were not present on the device fresh out of the box, or on any device where i manually updated the software. Also, the application MUST be granted trusted status in order to work properly. I installed the app (and set all permissions to DENY).

Below is a list of modules in the "Stable" OS 6 release:
    Application Module - IQAgent
    Library Modules - IQAgent-1
    IQAgent-10
    IQAgent-11
    IQAgent-12
    IQAgent-13
    IQAgent-14
    IQAgent-15
    IQAgent-16
    IQAgent-17
    IQAgent-2
    IQAgent-3
    IQAgent-4
    IQAgent-5
    IQAgent-6
    IQAgent-7
    IQAgent-8
    IQAgent-9

The app also requests the following access:
    USB
    Bluetooth
    Phone
    Location Data
    Server Network
    Internet
    WI-FI
    Cross Application Communication
    Device Settings
    Media
    Application Management
    Themes
    Input Simulation
    Browser Filtering
    Recording
    Security Timer Reset
    Display Information while Locked
    Email
    Organizer Data
    Files
    Security Data

I can also confirm that there is no icon for this application, though it does show under "IQAgent" in the application management listing and is listed as optional.

Update:
    The application and all listed modules removes easily with a delete of the application. No wipe or extreme measures needed. I do not think BlackBerry users need to be worried about this app, if its found, simply go in and uninstall it.
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 12-01-11 at 06:15 AM.
    highos, JR A, Blacklac and 1 others like this.
    12-01-11 06:13 AM
    Holy crap. It asks to access a lot. I'm glad this is out in the open and gets wiped off of every phone that is using it, or anything like it.
    12-01-11 06:22 AM
    Also, quick search of my BES users reveals not a single occurance of any of the modules. (several thousand users overall, multiple carriers, multiple countries). I really think this is something that the end user (or very specific small carriers) install.
    12-01-11 06:46 AM
    Using a factory device (9650 running OS 6) i downloaded from ota.carrieriq.com/rim. The modules were not present on the device fresh out of the box, or on any device where i manually updated the software. Also, the application MUST be granted trusted status in order to work properly. I installed the app (and set all permissions to DENY).

Below is a list of modules in the "Stable" OS 6 release:
    Application Module - IQAgent
    Library Modules - IQAgent-1
    IQAgent-10
    IQAgent-11
    IQAgent-12
    IQAgent-13
    IQAgent-14
    IQAgent-15
    IQAgent-16
    IQAgent-17
    IQAgent-2
    IQAgent-3
    IQAgent-4
    IQAgent-5
    IQAgent-6
    IQAgent-7
    IQAgent-8
    IQAgent-9

The app also requests the following access:
    USB
    Bluetooth
    Phone
    Location Data
    Server Network
    Internet
    WI-FI
    Cross Application Communication
    Device Settings
    Media
    Application Management
    Themes
    Input Simulation
    Browser Filtering
    Recording
    Security Timer Reset
    Display Information while Locked
    Email
    Organizer Data
    Files
    Security Data

I can also confirm that there is no icon for this application, though it does show under "IQAgent" in the application management listing and is listed as optional.

Update:
    The application and all listed modules removes easily with a delete of the application. No wipe or extreme measures needed. I do not think BlackBerry users need to be worried about this app, if its found, simply go in and uninstall it.

Thanks for doing your test.

I still think it's in RIM's best interest to get out ahead of this before cynicism sets in.

This issue with CIQ, on top of the growing story in the tech media that the PlayBook has been rooted, cracks (if not breaks) the once-infallible security mystique surrounding RIM and the Blackberry brand...
    12-01-11 06:55 AM
    RIM's security team is aware of it, and it would have to go through PR before anything is released to the public regarding carrierIQ.
    12-01-11 07:05 AM

Update:
    Sith, Thanks for investigating! This is a big concern for a lot of people and it's good to know that this is more or less over blown. I've been looking at my own personal devices and our own corporate BES and cannot find any reference to this agent/module either.

If people are going to start blaming someone, perhaps they should look at their carriers if they do ever find this application running on their phone. It's starting to become obvious that the manufacturers were not behind adopting this so perhaps we should all be questioning who else might have control or the ability to add software to our devices...

The guy that found this is on Sprint, anyone with an BB BIS that can take a look for us? I can confirm I haven't seen this on Telus at least to the devices I have access too at the moment.
    12-01-11 08:00 AM
    iOS comes directly from Apple, and since iOS 3.x carrierIQ has been referenced. Also, Google is responsible for at least their Android phones (Nexus etc), so if its in there it may be their fault.
    12-01-11 08:04 AM
    iOS comes directly from Apple, and since iOS 3.x carrierIQ has been referenced. Also, Google is responsible for at least their Android phones (Nexus etc), so if its in there it may be their fault.
    Google Nexus Android phones and original Xoom tablet do not include Carrier IQ tracking software | The Verge

Won't comment on iOS.

The carriers can and *do* modify Android though-that's what I'm implying.
    12-01-11 08:09 AM
    How did you find that IQ app on a blackberry?
    12-01-11 08:37 AM
    Go to your application management, it will be listed there.
    12-01-11 08:38 AM
189 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD