I'll have to wait till I get home to take a more comprehensive look, however the brief glance I took through the Verizon data log and account apps don't have CarierIQ as a module. Or a service book.
    12-04-11 01:52 PM
    I'll have to wait till I get home to take a more comprehensive look, however the brief glance I took through the Verizon data log and account apps don't have CarierIQ as a module. Or a service book.
    VZW already admitted to not using it on their devices.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    12-04-11 02:01 PM
    VZW already admitted to not using it on their devices.
    Thanks, haven't really had time to keep up with things. Black Friday through New Year's is complete ****.
    12-04-11 02:05 PM
    Thanks, haven't really had time to keep up with things. Black Friday through New Year's is complete ****.
    Gotta get them sales.
    12-04-11 02:08 PM
    I have decided to try and keep a log of all the devices and carriers that have and do not have Carrier IQ. Please let me know if I have wrong info or what I'm missing.
    12-04-11 02:20 PM
    I have decided to try and keep a log of all the devices and carriers that have and do not have Carrier IQ. Please let me know if I have wrong info or what I'm missing.
    Please make a topic on it and update the information by editing your original post (so it's easy to find) as it becomes available. It would be great if you include where Carrier IQ is located in each device. For example, T-Mobile users have reported it's in T-Mobile's "My Account" app.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    12-04-11 02:36 PM
    Please make a topic on it and update the information by editing your original post (so it's easy to find) as it becomes available. It would be great if you include where Carrier IQ is located in each device. For example, T-Mobile users have reported it's in T-Mobile's "My Account" app.
    Yes. Knowing what application or modules to delete is the information we want. We need this for Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile.

Man do I hate these carriers right now.
    Last edited by Jake2826; 12-04-11 at 02:44 PM.
    12-04-11 02:41 PM
    Also make note that as far as we know, the iOS (iPhone 4 only) version of CIQ and the BB version of CIQ is nowhere near as extreme as the one found on HTC (and others) Android devices found on Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile.

We know what the iOS version does, we don't fully know what the BB version does (AFAIK that hasn't been released yet officially per carrier on the specifics, just Android versions). We do know Android is the most severe.
    12-04-11 02:46 PM
    Yes, I believe you are right; the Android iteration is really yucky. Wow...
    12-04-11 03:26 PM
    Yea. The Android version is the only one confirmed to be going above and beyond.
    12-04-11 03:29 PM
    I was looking at my friend's HTC Android phone and the IQ rootkit is practically baked into the OS. It showed it having full permissions, and you couldn't edit them. It also wouldn't let you delete the application or shut it down. It's really kind of creepy that you couldn't mess with it in any way. After seeing that, there's no way in **** that I'll be using an Android as my primary phone.
    Last edited by Jake2826; 12-04-11 at 03:52 PM.
    12-04-11 03:34 PM
    I was looking at my friend's HTC Android phone and the IQ rootkit is practically baked into the OS. It showed it having full permissions, and you couldn't edit them. It also wouldn't let you delete the application or shut it down. It's really kind of creepy that you couldn't mess with it in anyway. After seeing that, there's no way in **** that I'll be using an Android as my primary phone.
    No all Android devices have this. So Android really isn't the issue. The issue is carriers and manufacturers. Buy an Android device without it. It is as simple as that.

And if you have some stones (it's not hard anyways even for people who aren't tech savvy) root and install a custom ROM. Problem solved.

There are ways to delete it, you friend just didn't use them.

That being said, he shouldn't have to do that (root/ROM) to get rid of it.
    12-04-11 03:43 PM
    I was looking at my friend's HTC Android phone and the IQ rootkit is practically baked into the OS. It showed it having full permissions, and you couldn't edit them. It also wouldn't let you delete the application or shut it down. It's really kind of creepy that you couldn't mess with it in anyway. After seeing that, there's no way in **** that I'll be using an Android as my primary phone.
    It was on my stock ROM, but I got a newer one. Doesn't scare that much, and is definitely not enough to make me change OS now in and of itself. The fact that I can remove it helps.
    12-04-11 03:44 PM
    No all Android devices have this. So Android really isn't the issue. The issue is carriers and manufacturers. Buy an Android device without it. It is as simple as that.

And if you have some stones (it's not hard anyways even for people who aren't tech savvy) root and install a custom ROM. Problem solved.

There are ways to delete it, you friend just didn't use them.

That being said, he shouldn't have to do that (root/ROM) to get rid of it.
    Agreed... rooting shouldn't be required.
    12-04-11 03:47 PM
    Agreed... rooting shouldn't be required.
    Exactly, but if people really are that worried, they can take matters into their own hands to get rid of it if they don't want to wait for a solution for their carriers/manufacturers.

You never know, maybe they will enjoy the root/ROMs after doing so.
    12-04-11 03:53 PM
    Good. I'll tell him to start researching how to root his phone. He's not very tech savvy so he'll probably just give me a blank stare.
    12-04-11 03:54 PM
    Good. I'll tell him to start researching how to root his phone. He's not very tech savvy so he'll probably just give me a blank stare.
    Tell him to research AndroidCentral.com, XDA-developers.com, Androidforums.com, etc... There are plenty of sites that can put him in the right direction.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    12-04-11 03:57 PM
    LOL. In all fairness, most people would.

The thing with Android is that if I really want to, I can get rid of something. Of course, baking something like this into the OS is incredibly insidious, but, I am bit more ticked off with the carrier.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    12-04-11 03:59 PM
    WIND doesn't use it thankfully. They haven't even heard of carrier IQ. Lol

What about RoBellUs?
    12-04-11 05:12 PM
    Good article here for checking and removing. Android only sorry.

http://www.androidauthority.com/how-...-device-36831/

Sent from my MD276LL using Tapatalk
    12-04-11 06:18 PM
    All of the companies using CIQ are now being sued.

Apple, Samsung and six more companies sued over Carrier IQ scandal
    12-05-11 10:58 AM
    Hey AVT what is that square in your sig? Any bets on how long it takes G7 to spin this against apple?
    12-05-11 11:02 AM
    All of the companies using CIQ are now being sued.

Apple, Samsung and six more companies sued over Carrier IQ scandal
    I read the complaint on the law firm's web site. It's interesting (and promising) to note that when it comes to manufacturers, RIM is not a defendant. No matter what these spying carriers have done with this Carrier IQ wiretap law violating spyware, I'm hopeful that their BlackBerry implementation of Carrier IQ is less insidious than has become apparent on the other platforms.
    12-05-11 02:06 PM
    I read the complaint on the law firm's web site. It's interesting (and promising) to note that when it comes to manufacturers, RIM is not a defendant. No matter what these spying carriers have done with this Carrier IQ wiretap law violating spyware, I'm hopeful that their BlackBerry implementation of Carrier IQ is less insidious than has become apparent on the other platforms.
    I have a feeling Apple isn't going to receive a big charge as well. Proof shows that their version of Carrier IQ is nowhere near the level of the one found on the HTC devices and others.

I guess we'll have to see how this plays out.
    12-05-11 02:16 PM
    12-05-11 02:20 PM
189 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD