Google Nexus Android phones and original Xoom tablet do not include Carrier IQ tracking software | The Verge

Won't comment on iOS.

The carriers can and *do* modify Android though-that's what I'm implying.
    True, i was not aware either way on the Nexus/Xoom so i did say the if. Android is way too fragmented for Google to be held responsible for anything else.

Also http://blog.chpwn.com has the iOS info
    12-01-11 08:39 AM
    VZW, O2, and Vodafone UK, have already confirmed their devices don't contain CIQ.

Glad I'm with VZW.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    12-01-11 09:48 AM
    These Are the Phones We're Pretty Sure Don't Have Carrier IQ

All Verizon phones
    All Nokia handsets
    All Windows Phones
    All Vodafone Phones
    All O2 Phones
    Google Nexus phones (Google Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus)
    Original Xoom
    glad i have vzw
    12-01-11 10:02 AM
    When you're using a BB through BIS, who do you think creates the service books? (hint, it's not RIM)
    Hint, it is RIM.
    12-01-11 10:06 AM
    Carrier IQ is compiled into the base OS. You can't just remove it by removing some COD file. Its in the kernel. LOL. Some research helps.
    Also if you're on Sprint the likelihood of this being in your phone is very high.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    I find it not plausible for RIM to include 3rd party code in their OS so easily. At best, it would be a user-level application which is viewable from your module list (or process list under the Engineering Screen).

I don't believe RIM gives out its "3" signing key to anyone either - it's required to use powerful, undocumented backdoor APIs only RIM has access to.
    12-01-11 10:09 AM
    Go to your application management, it will be listed there.
    This is encouraging, but might the code be on there somewhere else if it was installed another way? You downloaded it yourself, so it got placed like any other application.

Just trying to cover all bases. This story is too troubling and there's been too much silence from RIM and too many lawyers from Carrier IQ and statements from Sprint that don't backup what Trevor found. The reason I stay with RIM is security.

Good to see this helpful thread after tracking this story for a week and no decent Blackberry explanations anywhere...
    12-01-11 10:12 AM
    Hint, it is RIM.
    Your service books are from your carrier.
    12-01-11 10:17 AM
    Carrier IQ is compiled into the base OS. You can't just remove it by removing some COD file. Its in the kernel.
    No it is not in the kernel. It resides in the system files of your device and runs as a service.
    LOL. Some research helps.
    If you've researched it, show where you found it in the kernel.
    12-01-11 10:21 AM
    [edit]deleted... wasn't thinking straight and question was moot.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 12-01-11 at 10:26 AM.
    12-01-11 10:23 AM
    VZW, O2, and Vodafone UK, have already confirmed their devices don't contain CIQ.

Glad I'm with VZW.
    Telefonica/O2 have said "We do not collect any data via Carrier IQ". When asked if they include any other sort of diagnostic software their answer was "In principle, No."

To me that doesnt categorically state that the software isnt on their phones, only that they dont collect any data from them. Mr Eckhart has already proven that although Carrier IQ deny collecting any keystrokes, etc...that they infact are!

Vodafone UK on the other hand have stated it does not use Carrier IQ in any of its businesses, and does not use any other software like it, and it adheres strictly to privacy regulations in the jurisdictions where it operates.

paidContent:UK - Mobile
    12-01-11 10:49 AM
    I read this article from RT News and its a youtube link with a android programmer explaining the issue on a htc phone.
    Smartphone spyware keystroke conspiracy — RT

But I guess a BB programmer can do the same thing?
    Monitor different phones on wi-fi, 3g, keymapping etc sent to CIQ.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-11 10:56 AM
    12-01-11 11:17 AM
    RIM says it's not on our BlackBerries:

RIM says Carrier IQ software not for BlackBerry | Reuters
    No, that isn't what RIM is saying. From the article you linked:

Research In Motion said on Thursday that it does not install or authorize its carrier partners to install, "Carrier IQ" software on its BlackBerry smartphones.
    Passing the buck. In corporate-speak, they are all but acknowledging it is there.
    12-01-11 11:25 AM
    RIM says it's not on our BlackBerries:
    Great news!
    RIM says Carrier IQ software not for BlackBerry | Reuters

12-01-11 11:27 AM
    N8ter,
    RIM has made an official statement that they never put it on their devices nor do they authorize or have ever authorized carriers to do so. However, your company may do that or other big brother stuff as they see fit.

So, for regular users, I believe we are clear of this one. Still, even BB is vulnerable if you download stuff to your phone from questionable sources.

I suggest people consider using a PW for access to the phone and also for any dowloads. That way, no one can swipe your phone for a minute or two and then put it back after they downloaded malware.

Most of us don't do any James Bond stuff but some people do this kind of stuff for fun so protect yourself with the following steps:

1. Get a BlackBerry phone.
    2. Activate Passwords for access and downloads (eight or more number letter combos is recommended)
    3. Never download something from an unknown and trusted source.

If you do this, (RIM has a 10 year track record/history of not being breached. Every other major platform has) you should be just fine and secure.
    12-01-11 11:28 AM
    It's been a long time since I've posted, mainly because my other posts were about stripping bbos down and removing languages from presigned cods.

What I will say is that while making custom firmware (hybrids) for my girlfriend, I noticed carrieriq being referenced without even opening the cod as a container(zip) (you can view them in notepad). I did not know what it was so I never said anything(I was looking for languages and media/resource data within cods to remove).

Point is, it's there.
    12-01-11 11:59 AM
    I know this doesn't apply to BB's. But if any Android users are following this thread, and your phone is rooted, supposedly you can use Bloat Freezer to disable CIQ.
    12-01-11 12:00 PM
    Now, while I'm more inclined to believe RIM, I don't see the incentive for Eckhart to say that Carrier IQ is installed on BlackBerry and even Nokia phones, even when their respective companies deny it being there. When RIM says it denies authorization to the application, can the carriers do it anyway? I wish Trevor would do a second video, this time on a BlackBerry to prove this software exists, pre-installed without the end-user's knowledge, and is logging everything it does on the Android version.

Also, any word on whether this program is being used by AT&T or T-Mobile?
    12-01-11 12:09 PM
    For it being on the Blackberry: Pics [or video] or it isn't there.

I saw the Android video, and I have not seen any proof that it exists on Blackberry at all. RIM's statements seems solid, and even though corporate speak I trust them this time. Show us the goods on BB, Eckhart.
    12-01-11 12:30 PM
    I would speculate that WP7 not having it is simply because the they simply haven't developed it yet. AFAIK, WP7 phones don't restrict the carriers from putting their own software on the device. Apple is the only company that restricts any bloatware from being put on their devices.

It's not a matter of how secure an OS is. If the software is allowed to be installed, it can be done. Regardless of brand or OS.
    Actually WP7, like iOS, does not allow for bloatware to be installed on their devices like the rest of the lot does.
    12-01-11 12:37 PM
    I know this doesn't apply to BB's. But if any Android users are following this thread, and your phone is rooted, supposedly you can use Bloat Freezer to disable CIQ.
    Can't Titanium freeze it?
    12-01-11 12:38 PM
    Can't Titanium freeze it?
    Probably. I don't happen to have a device with CIQ on it, so I haven't tested the effectiveness of any apps that can freeze apk's, though I would imagine any of them would work.
    12-01-11 12:45 PM
    Now, while I'm more inclined to believe RIM, I don't see the incentive for Eckhart to say that Carrier IQ is installed on BlackBerry and even Nokia phones, even when their respective companies deny it being there. When RIM says it denies authorization to the application, can the carriers do it anyway? I wish Trevor would do a second video, this time on a BlackBerry to prove this software exists, pre-installed without the end-user's knowledge, and is logging everything it does on the Android version.

Also, any word on whether this program is being used by AT&T or T-Mobile?

Not on AT&T or Verizon that I have seen. ALso, ANY user can install this themselves.

Carrier IQ Agent for Blackberry

there you go, happy installing lol

So yes, it CAN be on BlackBerry devices, just does ship on them.
    12-01-11 12:46 PM
    Actually WP7, like iOS, does not allow for bloatware to be installed on their devices like the rest of the lot does.
    I guess im confused, I just got a brand new HTC Titan from ATT with ATT and HTC Apps preloaded.
    12-01-11 12:47 PM
    Since when? AT&T manages to put their own bloat on WP7 devices.
    12-01-11 12:52 PM
189 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD