Official statement from RIM:

RIM is aware of a recent claim by a security researcher that an application called �CarrierIQ� is installed on mobile devices from multiple vendors without the knowledge or consent of the device users. RIM does not pre-install the CarrierIQ app on BlackBerry smartphones or authorize its carrier partners to install the CarrierIQ app before sales or distribution. RIM also did not develop or commission the development of the CarrierIQ application, and has no involvement in the testing, promotion, or distribution of the app. RIM will continue to investigate reports and speculation related to CarrierIQ.

T-Mobile OS7 Blackberry's to have Carrier IQ, said to be embedded in their "My Account" App.
    http://n4bb.com/t-mobile-blackberry-...ces-carrier-iq

AT&T is said to use Carrier IQ, no confirmation for Blackberry devices.

Sprint says Carrier IQ is on 94% of their phones (smartphones?) but again, no confirmation on Blackberry's.

Verizon says they do not use Carrier IQ at all.

WIND is rumored not to use Carrier IQ.

US Cellular claims it does not use Carrier IQ.

http://www.windowscentral.com/softwa...s-phone-exempt
    Last edited by Blacklac; 12-06-11 at 01:34 PM.
    11-29-11 10:07 PM

I couldn't find any information to support that Carrier IQ was in fact installed on BlackBerry's except for the rehashes of the same article,
    I can't actually find the original article, nor mentioned of what specific BlackBerry models could have contained this.

I'd like to find more info for sure
    highos likes this.
    11-29-11 10:16 PM
    Yeah, I wish there was more info specifically about Blackberry's in that link, but at the 1:00 mark, he does specifically mention he's seen it on BB's.
    11-29-11 10:46 PM
    Wow I don't want that anywhere near my devices. That is a privacy nightmare.
    11-30-11 06:36 AM
    I found this: CarrierIQ | Android Security Test which gives a clearer picture on what is going on.

Oh, and heres the 2nd part: http://androidsecuritytest.com/featu...rrieriq-part2/

Is there a need for RIM or carriers to come out now and state whether this software is enabled on BlackBerrys? if it is then it essentially makes a mockery of our secure phones!
    Last edited by Dugganm; 11-30-11 at 06:46 AM.
    11-30-11 06:42 AM
    Looking at the Carrier IQ careers page, its looking for staff who have experience of all major phone OS's...except Blackberry (unless I missed it!)

This includes iPhone...yet none of the articles on this root-kit mentions the iPhone having a problem
    11-30-11 07:14 AM
    Looking at the Carrier IQ careers page, its looking for staff who have experience of all major phone OS's...except Blackberry (unless I missed it!)

This includes iPhone...yet none of the articles on this root-kit mentions the iPhone having a problem
    I don't think Apple would ever let the carriers put this on their software. Just like this App hasn't been found on WP7 because Microsoft controls the software.
    11-30-11 07:34 AM
    I couldn't find any information to support that Carrier IQ was in fact installed on BlackBerry's except for the rehashes of the same article,
    I can't actually find the original article, nor mentioned of what specific BlackBerry models could have contained this.

I'd like to find more info for sure
    I can report the same. I've been following this story for a while now-since it broke and I keep hearing references to BlackBerry but with no real evidence or ability to verify myself.
    11-30-11 11:01 AM
    I would speculate that WP7 not having it is simply because the they simply haven't developed it yet. AFAIK, WP7 phones don't restrict the carriers from putting their own software on the device. Apple is the only company that restricts any bloatware from being put on their devices.

It's not a matter of how secure an OS is. If the software is allowed to be installed, it can be done. Regardless of brand or OS.
    11-30-11 11:19 AM

There is NO reference looking for iOS devs or iPhone devs.

The job description is for a sr software engineer Looking for one or more years of mobile platform development. (iPhone windows mobile brew Symbian and so on)

Then in bold letters next line. 1+ years of dev exp on Android.

Please if your going to say something at least do some research.

Just so we are clear:

Senior Software Engineer
    Overview
    Carrier IQ is hiring superstar engineers to develop software for mobile devices. We are looking for people who: Enjoy solving challenging problems with creative solutions; Can make the tough tradeoffs when designing for low power/low bandwidth devices; Have the fortitude to develop code that will be used by tens of millions of users worldwide on a daily basis with no room for faults. Come join our team in tackling these challenges and more.
    Key Responsibilities
    • Design, implement, extend and port our Java and C/C++ components of our mobile software technology for Android.
    • Integrate our library onto new Android releases and OEM hardware platforms.
    • Act as subject matter expert in Android versions, SDK/NDK architectures and build systems
    • Work with teammates to enhance the system architecture.
    • Learn and develop relevant standards and protocols.
    • Collaborate with product management to understand system requirements.
    • Mentor junior team members.
    Job Requirements
    • 5+ years of software development experience with a track record of delivering successful products and technologies
    • 1+ years of application development experience on at least one other mobile platform (iPhone, Windows Mobile, BREW, Symbian, and so on.)
    • 1+ years of development experience on Android
    • Android expertise, with knowledge of
      • Android framework APIs, UI toolkit, inter-application communication mechanisms,
      • SDK and NDK
      • Build system
    • Internals in both the JVM and User Space
      • Solid grasp of algorithms, memory management, object-oriented programming, and concurrent programming.
      • Strong experience detecting and correcting memory usage issues, and optimizing code for application performance.
    • Demonstrable experience with the complete mobile application development cycle including experience with the challenges of multiple device and OS version targets
    • 5 or more years of experience with C++ including multithreading issues.
    • Strong operating system and data structures expertise.
    • Experience with assembly programming/debugging. ARM experience a plus
    • Experience with embedded platforms, such as TI OMAP, a plus
    • Experience with embedded OSs such as Android, RTOS, BREW, Windows Mobile, Linux, PalmOS, VxWorks
    • Commitment to engineering quality through unit testing, regression testing, and peer reviews.
    • Strong communication skills.
    • Strong technical writing skills
    Desirable Attributes
    • Experience with embedded debugging tools a plus (such as, JTAG, ICE)
    • Experience with wireless telecom protocols a plus (such as CDMA, GSM/GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, 802.11)
    • Have an Android application or have helped to launch an Android application that is live on the Android Market.
    • Experience with one or more of the following: Wireless RAT protocols (GSM/UMTS), networking, performance analysis, battery performance optimization
    • Linux experience, especially with Android Linux underpinnings and tools
    • Bachelor's in CS or EE, master's preferred

Sent from my MD276LL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 11-30-11 at 11:42 AM.
    11-30-11 11:40 AM
    All the more reason to run a custom ROM with Android. Not only does it get rid of carrier bloatware, but also anything "extra" the carriers are trying to slip in.

This Forbes article states that it's only been found on US phones thus far, and none on iOS:

"please note, it’s only been seen on US phones so far and not on anything from Apple. But it has been seen on Nokias, Blackberries from RIM and various devices running Google‘s Android."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...s-smartphones/

Obviously if the carrier's themselves are installing it, then as rmjones stated...any phone can be vulnerable to it.
    Last edited by Rickroller; 11-30-11 at 12:06 PM.
    11-30-11 12:02 PM
    If there's spyware "built into" a BlackBerry device it would have to be added at the core software level; I believe if it was a module or add-on it would be a no-brainer to find. If it was a carrier add-on or in a carrier add-on, then it would be easily avoided by not installing anything. 3rd party software is a more likely source, which incidently includes carrier additions. If you're the paranoid type that happens to make exceptions for going mobile, stay away from apps.

Honestly I don't think it comes included. You can label me Doubting Thomas until otherwise proven; I can say I saw someone with an iPhone installing Android apps but without proof there's really nothing. We used to have a saying back when I was gaming online: pics or it didn't happen.
    timwilliams916 likes this.
    11-30-11 12:02 PM
    All the more reason to run a custom ROM with Android. Not only does it get rid of carrier bloatware, but also anything "extra" the carriers are trying to slip in.
    I feel bad for those who are stock.
    11-30-11 12:04 PM
    This should be a sticky.

If RIM is working with these guys and it's buried deep into my phone, I want to know about it period.

There has GOT to be someone on here that's capable of answering if our phones are doing this
    11-30-11 01:08 PM
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's running in the background and transmitting data through the NOC wouldn't it have to have a service book?

If someone who knows more about it could match each book with known processes and then find one left over, that could be it.

I've probably just confirmed my ignorance but it's just a thought I had.
    11-30-11 02:46 PM
    Servicebook was the first thing that came to my mind too, actually.
    11-30-11 03:21 PM
    Wouldn't this be really easy to see this software installed on a Blackberry. Since it isn't part of the Core BB OS, it would have to a separate COD file that would need to be installed. And for how many hybrids are out there, I am sure those guys would have noticed any differences in carriers OS packages along time ago.
    11-30-11 05:15 PM
    scary.... i doubt its on BB as we would have heard of it by now.
    11-30-11 05:57 PM
    scary.... i doubt its on BB as we would have heard of it by now.
    Why would it be so hard to believe? If Jared Co can do it through a simple app, I'm sure a carrier has the where-with-all to pull it off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-11 06:05 PM
    Carrier IQ is compiled into the base OS. You can't just remove it by removing some COD file. Its in the kernel. LOL. Some research helps.
    Also if you're on Sprint the likelihood of this being in your phone is very high.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    11-30-11 06:32 PM
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's running in the background and transmitting data through the NOC wouldn't it have to have a service book?

If someone who knows more about it could match each book with known processes and then find one left over, that could be it.

I've probably just confirmed my ignorance but it's just a thought I had.
    When you're using a BB through BIS, who do you think creates the service books? (hint, it's not RIM)
    11-30-11 06:32 PM
    Carrier IQ is compiled into the base OS. You can't just remove it by removing some COD file. Its in the kernel. LOL. Some research helps.
    Also if you're on Sprint the likelihood of this being in your phone is very high.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    Search some more... it's NOT in the kernel.
    11-30-11 06:33 PM
    Since the carriers release BlackBerry software updates themselves, am I right in saying that it is possible that we may have this software on our phones? It's a really creepy thought, in my opinion.

In Trevor's video, is it noted anywhere that the recorded data is being sent from the phone?

I don't mean to stray from this topic, but based on what I've heard, it's not confirmed to be on the iPhone. Does this mean that when BBX is released, it won't have this software either, since software updates will come from RIM itself (again, not sure if it's on BBOS)?

The only carriers that I repeatedly see being mentioned are Sprint and Verizon. Do AT&T, T-Mobile and the smaller carriers use this software also?

Also, it seems this software was only found on American phones. If we download official OSs from non-American carriers (Bell, Rogers, Vodafone UK, etc.), assuming this software is on phones running stock carrier OS, would that erase the program?

There are so many questions, but this story is very cryptic and extremely intriguing. I have no doubt that this would be a non-issue had we known that program was installed on the device. Instead, it's buried so deep within Android that few knew it even existed and we can't even find it to confirm whether it's on our BlackBerries. On top of that, we can't opt out of it, turn it off, or even delete it. I hope we get some answers soon. The fact that almost no one is willing to comment is definitely a cause for concern. CarrierIQ's reaction, especially, is very telling. Regardless, this is not a good thing and we deserve answers.
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 11-30-11 at 09:55 PM.
    11-30-11 06:35 PM
    i too am very concerned about this considering the security of blackberry was the main reason i'm still using the platform. that said, i'll wait to see more of this develop...

since this is shown as proof for android, my question would be how would it, if at all, affect or potentially be implemented in the android player for the playbook?

anyone running the 2.0 beta care to test that out?
    11-30-11 07:16 PM
    There is NO reference looking for iOS devs or iPhone devs.

The job description is for a sr software engineer Looking for one or more years of mobile platform development. (iPhone windows mobile brew Symbian and so on)

Then in bold letters next line. 1+ years of dev exp on Android.

Please if your going to say something at least do some research.
    At what point of my post did I state they were looking for iOS devs or iPhone devs? At no point did I suggest such a thing.

I said..."Looking at the Carrier IQ careers page, its looking for staff who have experience of all major phone OS's...".

The job advert states..."1+ years of application development experience on at least one other mobile platform (iPhone, Windows Mobile, BREW, Symbian, and so on.)"

Would 1+ years of application development not also indicate that they are staff who have experience of at least one of the afore mentioned phone OS's? In my view there isnt much point in trying to develop an ap for an operating system if you have no experience of it.

11-30-11 07:20 PM
189 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD