Google Voice app updated, Android and BlackBerry get faster dialing Boy Genius Report

Google has released an update to its Android and BlackBerry Google Voice applications, and is promising faster connection times. As Google states, “Our mantra is faster = better.” Here’s how the updated clients will expedite calls:
    Until today, the Google Voice app had to make a request to the Google Voice server every time you wanted to make a call to send us the phone number you wanted to dial. Then the call would be connected via a Google Voice access number. With direct access numbers, we assign a unique phone number to every person you call. This means that we no longer need to use your data network to access the server each time you make a call, so calls will be placed much faster.
    We’ve got the rest of the press release queued up for you after the bounce. We’re curious, how many of you give out your Google Voice number exclusively?
    Faster dialing with Google Voice on Android and Blackberry devices
    Thursday, July 22, 2010
    At Google we are obsessed with speed. Our mantra is faster = better. This is true for our Google Voice mobile apps as well. When you want to make a call, your phone should connect you as quickly as possible, whether you’re calling via Google Voice or not.
    Today we are launching an enhancement to the Google Voice mobile app on Android and Blackberry phones, which makes placing calls much faster. We call this feature “direct access numbers.” Here’s how it works:
    Until today, the Google Voice app had to make a request to the Google Voice server every time you wanted to make a call to send us the phone number you wanted to dial. Then the call would be connected via a Google Voice access number. With direct access numbers, we assign a unique phone number to every person you call. This means that we no longer need to use your data network to access the server each time you make a call, so calls will be placed much faster.
    The updated Android app is available from Android Market starting today. For Blackberry users, you can download the app by visiting http://m.google.com/voice from your mobile device. You will need a valid Google Voice account to use the app, and at this time, Google Voice is available in the US only
    if you read that correctly you are no longer able to use Google Voice to make free unlimited calls via Family Plans and My Fave Five plans.

Since each caller has their own varying number, well you never know what number it will be using to make the calls.

So you can get burned using Google Voice, just a friendly warning.
    Last edited by mjneid; 07-22-10 at 04:46 PM.
    07-22-10 04:33 PM
    Google Voice app updated, Android and BlackBerry get faster dialing Boy Genius Report

So you can get burned using Google Voice, just a friendly warning.
    Just continue to use the old version of the software for BB then, no?
    07-22-10 04:42 PM
    Just continue to use the old version of the software for BB then, no?
    I would assume that would be a safe assumption, but i neither work for google or RIM, so i really don't know if the old program will work in the same fashion as the new one, or if it is two different platforms.
    07-22-10 04:48 PM
    Hasn't Google Voice always used a different number to call outbound to connect to their service? I am pretty sure it has. They never touted free outbound calling, its free inbound calls.

Also, it usually varies between 2 or 3 numbers so you could really just pay attention to those numbers and add them to your family plan as the unlimited calling and then you should still be set, no?
    07-22-10 04:55 PM
    The only real way around it is to call into your Google Voice number, then press 2 to dial the number you want to call. On the receiving side, you would have to have GV set up to display your GV number for incoming calls. But calling from within the app itself wouldn't work like it used to.
    07-23-10 11:05 AM
    The only real way around it is to call into your Google Voice number, then press 2 to dial the number you want to call. On the receiving side, you would have to have GV set up to display your GV number for incoming calls. But calling from within the app itself wouldn't work like it used to.
    100% correct. At least two of us are thinking on the same lines.

and i'm glad to see they re-opened this thread
    07-23-10 11:07 AM
    I was aware of the Google Voice workaround with myfaves and such...I just had a feeling that Google would find a way to squash this..
    07-23-10 10:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD