My main reason for this post is to get an explanation for a quote i ALWAYS see.

Originally Posted by The_Engine
    Yeah, I find it funny how people seem to believe RIM has some mystical sorcery that increases their battery life. I am sure HTC, Motorola, and Samsung could make a device running a small low res screen with a 624 MHz processor that just handles email and texting and has a wap browser for the occasional jaunt to an few optimized mobile web sites that gets 48 hours of battery life.

Okay lets break this down. I have used several Android based phones just to basically what the big fuss was about. Here is a comparison

HTC HERO
    Processor-528 MHz
    Screen res-320x480
    1500 mAh battery

BOLD 9650
    Processor-624 MHz
    Screen res-480x360
    1400 mAh battery

Now my main question is why the Bold which has stronger specs than the Hero as well as a smaller battery(slightly) gets twice the battery life? No there were not multiple programs open on the Hero. I know how to manage the droid OS and with my normal use the Hero would be dead by 4pm with use from 7am. With my Bold I actually use it more because it is so much easier to get stuff done on and yet my batter lasts from 7am to around 8 to 10pm no problem.

This post is not to start a pissing contest between bb and droid. But it is to show that everyone thinks BBs are just SO far behind in technology and thats why the battery life is good.
    01-31-11 03:07 PM
    This post is not to start a pissing contest between bb and droid.
    There are way too many Trolls on this forum for this to not happen.

Sorry though, I do not have an answer to your question. My wife as an LG Ally and she gets no where near the battery life that my Storm gets.
    01-31-11 03:17 PM
    The amount of power given to the larger screens and resolutions on a typical android device is much greater than the power given to blackberry devices with the smaller screens. Not to mention that the android operating system is much more visually intensive. This extra power left from operating the smaller screens is left for us to do other tasks such as texting, checking our email, bbming, and the occasional web browsing.

This can similarly be seen between a laptop which has a smaller screen but better specs, and a laptop with a larger screen with inferior specs-- all other factors set-aside. You will find that the laptop with the better specs and a smaller screen have a noticeable extra amount of battery life, which proves that battery life is minimally affected by specs

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by imppy; 01-31-11 at 04:09 PM.
    01-31-11 03:57 PM
    while each different OS use more/less power, its worth noting the hero is a touchscreen device, so im sure that`ll factor into it as some point
    01-31-11 04:06 PM
    You have to realize touchscreen has a lot more battery draw than a non-touchscreen. Just because the specs are about the same doesn't mean they will have the battery life because there are so many factors that take play(usage, running apps, widgets, etc..). From my personal experiece with the storm 1 and 2 as the battery life on those were just as good as my droid and droid pro(meaning not the greatest).
    01-31-11 04:11 PM
  6. T
    In a laptop, the screen is probably the biggest user of power. Dim it down or turn it off when not in use, and the battery will last noticeably longer. On mine, I can throttle down the processor, too (when all its processing power is not needed), but I think the screen is the bigger factor.

01-31-11 04:15 PM
    You have to realize touchscreen has a lot more battery draw than a non-touchscreen. Just because the specs are about the same doesn't mean they will have the battery life because there are so many factors that take play(usage, running apps, widgets, etc..). From my personal experiece with the storm 1 and 2 as the battery life on those were just as good as my droid and droid pro(meaning not the greatest).
    I can easily get a fulls day usage from my Storm with moderate usage. My wife's LG Ally gets no where the battery life with about the same usage. And, she only has one widget running (a weather widget).

LG Ally:
    Processor: 600 MHz
    Screen: 3.2" 480 x 800 WVGA

Now her graphics are much better than mine so that might be once reason why.
    Last edited by valorian; 01-31-11 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Added LG Ally specs.
    01-31-11 04:19 PM
  8. T
    Before I had my BlackBerry, I had a Samsung Instinct, and that thing came with a spare battery and a separate charger for the spare battery. That way, you could always have a fully charged battery for it.

01-31-11 04:23 PM
    For all of RIM's faults, one thing they do well is optimize the OS for the hardware, thereby allowing their devices to utilize only what is necessary to get the job done.

The "base" android needs to be able to handle many different hardware configurations. Although Google sets some standards for hardware, the OS is not optimized for each manufacturer combo.

There is a lot to the screen size, and touch screen vs. non-touch screen. And the Torch does not have the best battery life in the world (the 9700 is the king for batter life in my experience), but I can run my Torch with a stock tracker open all day, multiple browsing sessions, bluetooth and wifi running, etc. for 2 - 3 days (of course, it can be down to 1 day if I'm really pushing it hard). I don't have any hands on experience with the Android devices for more than a few minutes, so I'm just going off of what I hear in places like this for their battery life woes.
    01-31-11 04:29 PM
    My co-workers hero gets half the battery life of my Torch, and he uses his phone less than I do. Both are touch-screen, and the Torch is a more powerful device. It really is in the code. RIM knows how to optimize a device, plain and simple.

Android devices are notorious battery hogs anyhow. The iPhone 4 vs my Captivate was great example. Both devices have equal hardware specs, and the iPhone would go all day doing the same things I do with the Captivate. I only swapped them out because the iPhone seemed to drop more calls and generally act weird, but I've been through 7 Captivates through warranty since the "update", and really wish I could go back.
    BayouBengal21 likes this.
    01-31-11 06:17 PM
    My main reason for this post is to get an explanation for a quote i ALWAYS see.

Originally Posted by The_Engine
    Yeah, I find it funny how people seem to believe RIM has some mystical sorcery that increases their battery life. I am sure HTC, Motorola, and Samsung could make a device running a small low res screen with a 624 MHz processor that just handles email and texting and has a wap browser for the occasional jaunt to an few optimized mobile web sites that gets 48 hours of battery life.

Okay lets break this down. I have used several Android based phones just to basically what the big fuss was about. Here is a comparison

HTC HERO
    Processor-528 MHz
    Screen res-320x480
    1500 mAh battery

BOLD 9650
    Processor-624 MHz
    Screen res-480x360
    1400 mAh battery

Now my main question is why the Bold which has stronger specs than the Hero as well as a smaller battery(slightly) gets twice the battery life? No there were not multiple programs open on the Hero. I know how to manage the droid OS and with my normal use the Hero would be dead by 4pm with use from 7am. With my Bold I actually use it more because it is so much easier to get stuff done on and yet my batter lasts from 7am to around 8 to 10pm no problem.

This post is not to start a pissing contest between bb and droid. But it is to show that everyone thinks BBs are just SO far behind in technology and thats why the battery life is good.
    because the Android phone actually is used to get on the Internet. the bold is used to get email 5 seconds faster than your friend. Using a phone drains the battery.
    01-31-11 06:26 PM
    because the Android phone actually is used to get on the Internet. the bold is used to get email 5 seconds faster than your friend. Using a phone drains the battery.
    This comment is completely bogus. I use my Storm everyday to access the internet, and yes full webpages too. I still get more battery life than my wife does with her LG and she hardly ever access the internet. She mostly just uses her apps.

BayouBengal21 likes this.
    01-31-11 06:52 PM
    I do just as much web browsing on my 9650 as I did on the Hero.
    01-31-11 06:53 PM
    what OS was the hero running?

battery life excuse/comparison is crap IMO. My storms and my incredible get about the same battery life. I have gone 50+ hours with my incredible 2 times which beats what my storm 2 topped out at. I can make both phones die in under 12 hours and can make both last all day. Both phones can go 24 hours and that is all that anyone really needs. You know what i dont miss about my storm 2, losing 15% or more battery when the thing would reboot ...that shti gets old fast. We all know BBs never reboot either right!

I cant wait to see what QNX offers on a HH. The problem is waiting for another year for that to happen.
    01-31-11 07:00 PM
    And the bold 9650 uses the same 528MHz processor as the Storms because it's a CDMA BlackBerry. It also has a GPU, I think. GSM BlackBerry devices don't feature this. Not saying it's such a deal breaker, but there's major difference, or two between the feature sets of each.
    01-31-11 07:04 PM
    GSM does always have better battery too, good point
    01-31-11 07:11 PM
    It comes down to the os. How it manges the system. Rim has been doing this for a while. Now that beening said the user can be at fault. If your clearing memory all the time on the android and making clean quarrys all the time its working harder. Its rendering to screen and pagefileing if you will while searching. If you keep shuting an app all the way down and restarting it over and over this draws on the cpu clock witch draws power. Once the put ram and cache on these devices it much better on them to leave the app in memory then call it back for there. Case in point my daughter has a captive. It had horrible battery life and slow way down. I played with it for a couple days and noticed a big difference in battery useage and system performance when I left the apps in memory and called em when I wanted them. Instead of shuting em down and restarting them. There a lot of checks "extra work" to get the app started than pulling it from memory. I told her what I found and she said that others have told her on the boards to close things down and keep the memory clean. Some people just hasn't learned how to use this devices yet. Idk

01-31-11 07:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD