If I purchase a Storm will I need my GARMIN ?
    01-11-09 08:59 PM
    no.. unless you would like both i don't see why you would though
    01-11-09 09:00 PM
    The Storm doesn't come with navigation capabilities. There are several apps out there that you can use on the Storm though (including a Garmin app). The good ones cost.
    01-11-09 09:08 PM
    I was just wondering if the Storm was as fast and accurate as a Gamin. Do you know if there are car mounts (GSP Style) for the Storm?
    01-11-09 09:09 PM
    the storm with gramin app is accurate and fast. However there are some drawbacks ut nothing that is a big deal. My wife has my GPS unit in her car and I use my storm. They are both good. My storm has some nice features such as traffic and the google local search which is very handy. The stand alone MIO 310x works even without a internet connection which the storm needs for the first navigation plot.

Abigfish
    01-11-09 09:17 PM
    I'm not sure about the storm but with my curve as long as I have cell service my vznav is by far mor accurate than the garmin we use in the ambulances at work

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-09 09:19 PM
    VZ navigator costs monthly fee
    01-11-09 09:26 PM
    VZN Navigator - 10 bucks a month - a really good deal because of the traffic indicators alone, especially in a city like Houston. Worked great in Provo recently.

Things to improve: (1) in Follow Me mode, you have a traffic option also - really would be safer if it could indicate that traffic is actively being monitoring in a really, really positive way, like background change or a red bar - something you can see from 3 feet away - so you can distinguish roads from road traffic. (2) just noticed that I could not post a Capture It screen to show everyone. Maybe VZN is protecting its turf. Anyhow, all major roads (both directions) are colored green, yellow, or red; also, major problems have caution signs right on the map and you can read a text report on each one. (3) As with Garmin, can be a block off here or there. Both are improving.

In Follow Me mode, as you approach a major decision point where you know problems occur, you use VZN Navigator with Traffic Monitoring on, to visually help you make that decision.

Doctor Neutron
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 01-11-09 at 10:00 PM.
    01-11-09 09:39 PM
    if you loose signal... then you're as good as lost... and last place you wanna get lost is where you have no signal! lol
    01-11-09 09:44 PM
    Im a big fan of telenav
    01-11-09 09:45 PM
    Yes. You should keep the garmin. The storm should work in a pinch, though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-09 09:46 PM
    I also noticed the garmin app on the storm draws your route in 3d and doesn't show any of the smaller roads without going into route overview... So I think its limited if you like to know other road names as you drive which I would.
    01-11-09 10:49 PM
    I have a Garmin (Nuvi 200W). I am a big fan of VzNav. Used it on the Voyager and gave the Garmin to my Wife. When I got the Storm, I tried the Garmin app. Pretty much worked just like my Nuvi. I still use VzNav though. For me, it's a better tool. If you're used to your Garmin, the Storm app will feel comfortable for you. Good luck.
    01-11-09 11:43 PM
    I am using the Garmin GPS and I really like it. I'm on EDGE instead of 3G though, so it takes ages to load the route-- but it basically works as well as a standalone GPS device, only slower. Worth the buy.
    01-12-09 12:06 AM
    Thank you for all the great info !!!!
    01-12-09 05:35 AM
    just took a trip to NY with my storm leading the way. and I gotta say it knew there was an accident before the police had fully responded to it. it even gives estimated delay times to help you possibly plan an alternate route. the time may have been a little exaggerated (something like 2hrs,it was a 10 car pile up) but i manage to get around it before traffic got really bad like (2min.)
    01-12-09 07:49 AM
    I prefer my Storm Garmin over my 360 Garmin. I really like the fuel price lookup feature on the Storm Garmin app.
    01-12-09 04:50 PM
    Having bought and returned the Garmin application for the Storm after using VZ Nav, I'd say that they both need some revisions. I've used TeleNav on a non Storm and was relatively impressed except for the two lockups, but they could've been caused by the hockey puck GPS unit.

My biggest gripe with the Garmin app was that there is no manual route around. If you know of an incident, you can't say detour. This bit me once. I loved the ability to search by fuel grades. Strangely, on a road not covered by traffic coverage, while running my Nuvi 200, it took me a different route than the 200, running side by side.

VZ Nav, the POI database seems a bit out of date. Navigation wise, it does a great job. I am back with VZ Nav.

Could you be without? Depends on where you live and how you intend on using it. You aren't SOL if you have a route planned while you have cell coverage. If you drop out of coverage, the maps no longer update, but your route and countdown to turns is still there.
    01-13-09 08:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD