I am coming on this site since I'm on the verge of returning my Tour - when I use the phone in my car (or with my Bluetooth headset for that matter . . .), people on the other end, to a person, say they cannot hear me. This is a key feature for me - does anyone know how to fix this or do I need to return the phone to Verizon and go back to my previous Blackberry model which worked fine in the car.
    08-25-09 01:34 PM
    I'm on my second Tour. No fault of Verizon, but I thought I'd try the Storm.

I have had no voice quality issues with two Tour's and the one Storm. Flawless performance from both.

I tried it on two of my personal vehicles:

2008 BMW 535i
    2009 Toyota Tacoma

Not that it helps, but I think that it may be helpful to know that not everybody is having issues.
    08-25-09 03:16 PM
    Hello everyone,

I had the same problem. People complained that I sounded very far away with my Tour. I have found a fix, but I am not 100% sure on how I stumbled on it. Let me give the full background...

Here are the details:
    Verizon Wireless
    Blackberry Tour
    Plantronics 510 bluetooth headset

I have used the Plantronics headset for over 2 years now. It has worked great on every phone I have ever tried (Samsung SCH-a930, env2, and more). People can hear me clearly and cannot even tell that I am using a bluetooth headset. I can also hear them crystal clear with no static. It sells for around $40 on amazon.com.

Now, once I got the blackberry tour, I used this same headset. I would start talking and people wouldn't be able to hear me very well. If the other people were talking and I tried to interrupt, they could not hear me at all (or very low), so they would continue talking and not hear me at all.
    Here is what I did yesterday…
    1. I already had my BT headset paired to my BB Tour.
    2. I had my old env2 and I attempted to switch my blackberry phone service to the old phone on verizon’s website.
    a. Logged in to my Verizon account online.
    b. Clicked the overview tab.
    c. On the right pane, you should see “Quick Links”. Under “Quick Links”, clicked on Activate my phone.
    d. Turned off my BB Tour.
    e. Entered the ESN/MEID of my old env2 phone (not a blackberry).
    f. This appeared to go through ok.
    3. From my env2, tried to reprogram it by dialing *228 and then pressing option 1.
    a. A representative answered the phone and assisted me. She explained to me that I could not just switch it online since my old phone was not a blackberry and now I had blackberry service. I told her I was troubleshooting my Bluetooth and that I was actually calling her from my old phone already. She told me she could temporarily disable my blackberry service so I could test it.
    b. I turned my BB Tour off and she started to do this by disabling my BB data plan. While in the middle of it (not sure at what point), it seemed like a lot of hassle and I asked her to not do it (or to undo what she had already done).
    4. Instead, I asked her if she would mind helping me troubleshoot the sound quality. She agreed.
    a. I left my BT headset paired to my BB Tour (which was turned off at the moment). I paired my BT headset to my env2 and asked her how the quality was. She could hear me great and I could also hear her even more clearly than on my tour. This is what I expected. So now I knew it was not a problem with my BT headset but with how the Tour worked with my BT headset.
    b. I then asked if she could call me back on my BB Tour so she could tell me how the sound quality was when I used the same headset on the BB Tour (remember I did not unpair the headset from my Tour).
    c. We hung up. I left my env2 on and paired to my BT headset. I then turned on my BB Tour, which also was paired to my headset.
    d. When she called, at first I could not hear her at all on my headset. Maybe some sort of conflict since I had both phones paired to the same headset and also turned on at the same time. Once I switched the audio from my BB Tour to the HANDset, I could hear her fine. I then turned off my env2 and reconnected the BT headset to the BB Tour (I did not remove it from BT devices. I just reconnected it.). Once I did this she could hear me great! We talked for about 5 minutes and the sound quality was excellent on both ends. It sounded just like when I talked to her on my env2 with the BT headset.

In an extremely happy state, I inspected the settings on my BB Tour. I noticed that if I looked at the device properties of my BT headset in my BB Tour, that under “services”, now I only saw 2 entries: “Hands-Free unit” and “Headset”. I am not 100% positive, but I think that when my BT headset was not working right, there were like 5-7 services listed in this area. I believe one of these services is what was causing the problem.

So I am not sure if it was the temporary removal of the Blackberry data plan that the Verizon representative did for me, OR having paired my headset to the env2 temporarily that removed the conflicting services, but one of these things has DEFINITELY fixed it. I used it all day today and confirmed with several people who complained to me about not hearing me and they could hear me crystal clear.

However, I do not know how permanent this fix was. Maybe whenever I do a hard reboot of my phone, if these services will come back and I will have the same problem (No, I am not going to try. =) I also want to be clear though that the Verizon representative did add back my data plan and my email and internet work fine on my BB Tour and my Bluetooth is still working great!!!

If there is a way to remove these extra services easily, maybe someone can post it for everyone else's benefit. Otherwise, you can try some combination of the above and see how it works out for you. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by jontjioe; 08-25-09 at 10:39 PM.
    08-25-09 09:58 PM
    Hmm, thanks for your intensive info. Gave me some ideas. With my BT headset paired, I highlighted this in the BT settings (on the Tour) and Menu and Refresh Service List, which the 'hands free' service removed itself, leaving only 'headset.'

Did the same for my MS Sync in my car, paired, then refresh, and noticed the 'headset' service removed itself, leaving 'hands free,' 'A2DP,' 'A/V remote control' and something else.

By performing these refresh service list and pruning to what actual services will be used, I'm hoping this will positively affect the sound issue. Will have to experiment tomorrow.
    08-25-09 10:24 PM
    I just got my tour yesterday and cannot get the voice dialing to recognize my contacts - I can dial by reciting the number - this is a Bell phone and said they can not help me - has anyone else had this problem?
    08-26-09 11:20 AM
    I just got off the phone with RIM and they said they are well aware of this issue and they are working on a patch but they aren't sure how soon it will be released let's just hope it's very soon.
    08-26-09 01:22 PM
    Does the new 5.0 software improve anything? Anybody try yet?
    08-26-09 05:57 PM
    This got me thinking about VZW tv advertising.....

Can you hear me now?
    08-27-09 02:23 PM
    I'm on my second Tour. No fault of Verizon, but I thought I'd try the Storm.

I have had no voice quality issues with two Tour's and the one Storm. Flawless performance from both.

I tried it on two of my personal vehicles:

2008 BMW 535i
    2009 Toyota Tacoma

Not that it helps, but I think that it may be helpful to know that not everybody is having issues.
    I also have an 08 535i and had sync and sound problems. I upgraded to one of the hybrid OS and the problems went away.
    08-27-09 10:40 PM
    No problems here either. 2005 acura tl and 2007 infiniti fx. Both built in BT. Generally speaking, folks aren't going to post here unless they are having issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-09 12:09 AM
    I am amazed that VZW nor RIM will address this issue. I gave up on my Tour which I liked in every other way but the phone. I turned it back in and told them what a piece of junk it was and nothing.

When will they listen!!!!
    08-28-09 08:05 PM
    I just got off the phone with RIM and they said they are well aware of this issue and they are working on a patch but they aren't sure how soon it will be released let's just hope it's very soon.
    Thanks for the heads up...
    08-28-09 08:09 PM
    I am amazed that VZW nor RIM will address this issue. I gave up on my Tour which I liked in every other way but the phone. I turned it back in and told them what a piece of junk it was and nothing.

What's a guy in the store supposed to say? Sorry?
    08-28-09 09:24 PM
    I also have the same problem. I have a last year model Lexus LS 430. My Blackberry world edition worked perfect with Bluetooth. Now that I got the BB Tour people can't here me. I deleted the blue tooth phone from the car side and then deleted it off my phone and re-set it all up. Now I have trouble even connecting. I try"s to connect the the car screen says calling and the connection screen never goes away and you can't make a call. Driving me nuts. Someone please help.
    I had the same problem with my is250, returned the phone, fixed the "calling" problem, still have the other problem of low volume and did the trick of raising the lexus volume a previous post suggested
    08-28-09 10:32 PM

They have, its you who has not read more of the thread:

View Document

Overview
    The audio quality of a Bluetooth enabled device may be diminished while paired with a BlackBerry Tour smartphone. Audio quality issues may include:

Muffled audio/sound when paired with a Bluetooth headset
    Voice Activated Dialing incorrectly determining user input
    Outbound audio volume through a Bluetooth car kit is distorted or lower than expected

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resolution
    This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.

There - its aknowledged as a problem and this thread should be closed till it there's a resolution listed.
    08-31-09 01:24 PM
    Does the leaked .191 OS fix the issue?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 01:43 PM
    can someone point out the hybrid version which will fix the bluetooth issue
    08-31-09 03:38 PM
    Hey All,

Just to let you know, I too had the dreaded "I can't hear you" problem on my 9630 paired with my 2009 Hummer H3. It was annoying and aggrevating to say the least so I took the plunge and installed the 5.0.0.191 beta. The difference is night and day, I hear better, the people I talk to think I'm on a landline and I am happy. Sure I lost facebook for now, but gained threaded sms. For what its worth, the Bluetooth edition the beta installed is "Micro Edition Bluetooth Version 1.1" Also my BB Messenger still works for some reason. I am on Verizon and my EV symbol now says 3G instead. I can't wait for RIM to finish this release up. I'm sure there are plenty of things that need to be fixed but for my corportate email, Yahoo email, phone, Text and MMS this beta rocks so far.
    Can you hear me now... **** yeah.
    Last edited by steeldude; 08-31-09 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    08-31-09 04:48 PM
    Have had my Tour three days. Paired fine with my Bluetooth, and I can hear and be heard, except. . . when a calls comes in, the call won't transfer to the BT when I tap call button on headset, it just keeps ringing on phone. If I press answer on the phone, the call is heard on Bluetooth. If I don't press answer on the phone, phone keeps ringing and goes to VM. ??? Wondering if this is BT problem or BB.
    08-31-09 09:44 PM
    Beau79.... Thank you for your solution for the Toyota/Lexus! I have an 08 Lexus IS250 and have been having this problem since getting my new Tour last week! So excited to get this fixed now.

My question is, you mentioned something about people not knowing how to load a Hybrid OS... is that required for the Lexus settings to work?

Thanks!
    09-01-09 10:54 AM
    anyone having issues with bmw's?????
    09-01-09 05:42 PM
    Yes, I have the output volume issue on my 2009 328i, which has the latest version of Idrive. Otherwise, it works flawlessly.

Owners with earlier versions sometimes report that Blackberry phones won't sync at all.
    09-02-09 12:26 PM
    Sprint

Blackberry Tour

Pioneer F700BT

I have the same "Can't hear you" issue that everyone else does. I read this whole thread. I tried various tricks. I will not screw with the OS until it is offically released, therefore, I shall wait patiently until they fix it. I certainly hope that it doesn't take very long, Tho...
    09-02-09 12:42 PM
    Same problem here also. I'm with Sprint. I've tried 3 BT devices, and the person on the other end says I sound like I'm far away in a tunnel. I'm also considering returning my BB within my 30 day grace period. I don't want to, but this is a big problem.
    09-02-09 10:30 PM
    I found a temporary solution to my problem (at least with the car) on people not being able to hear me. After searching through crackberry discussions, I decided to search some other forums on the Tundra. Someone there posted a way to change the outgoing call volume on the radio. It was located in the dwellings of the radio and special touches to the screen were necessary to bring up a hidden options menu. In this menu, you could change the outgoing volume of your calls. I increased mine and called my wife immediately, she said I sounded great and that she could hear me much better. I would imagine that other cars have these "backdoor" menus so you may want to check out a forum about your car.

I also needed to auto connect my phone again since I disconnected the auto hookup when people couldn't hear me. At first, everytime I got into the car, the phone would go into this dialing mode but would be calling nobody on the screen in the car. I would have to hit cancel then my radio would come back on. I know others have had this problem. I performed a simple battery pull and 20 minutes later when the phone reset (haha) It worked perfectly.

Hope this helps.

My VZW Tour sync'd with my Tundra LTD also produces a diminished volume to the reciepient. Call quality is clear but the volume level is low. I had absolutely no problems with my Pearl (in terms of bluetooth connectivity to my truck).

I have tried all of the previous "fixes" which others have had some success. I have not been able to get it to work at a normel volume. I hear the caller fine and have no other issues with connectivity.

My bluetooth headset broke about a week before I received my Tour. Since I have had the problems with the car, I have decided not to purchase a new headset until there is some type of fix that works. Why spend the money if my party can't hear me anyway?

Is there a way to just download a past bluetooth version that will work on the Tour from another style BB that seems to have no issues?

This problem decreases the safety that having an internal automobile bluetooth connection provides. You can't even use an external headset. Which means that one hand is on the phone and one on the wheel. Or as some people do - one hand on the phone and the other hand:

shifting gears
    putting on makeup
    holding the newspaper
    helping the driver eat
    holding a cigarette
    .....and the list could go on and on

How many accidents will this create? We need a fix VZW and/or BB!
    09-03-09 12:39 PM
552 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD