BLACKBERRY TOUR
    BELL MOBILITY NETWORK
    V4.7.140

TTY = OFF
    Automatic volume control = OFF

Echo Control= OFF

This is definitely what made the difference for me.
    now the integrated bluetooth module in my m35x works perfectly with my tour.

i guess that tweeking works for some and not others.
    NONE of these are associated with the OUTGOING call quality whatsoever...only what you hear.
    07-29-09 09:42 AM
    blackjedi23 - I was never actually able to find the TTY setting on my Tour, before I returned it. Where was it, for future reference?
    07-29-09 09:44 AM
    PATH WAY FOR ALL THREE OPTIONS

TTY - press on the phone logo / press on the bb logo / options / TTY

VOLUME CONTROL - press on the phone logo / press on the bb logo / Options / ENHANCED AUDIO

ECHO CONTROL - menu / manage connections / bluetooth options / i selected my infiniti m35x which shows up as YOUR CAR / press bb logo / device properties / ECHO CONTROL

sorry for the caps for those that are bothered by it.

ps: to LARRYMCJ

even since i changed that option nobody ever asked me to disconect my bluetooth or the dreadfull *WHATTTT*
    convo is clear both ways
    maybe i got lucky
    Last edited by blackjedi23; 07-29-09 at 10:09 AM. Reason: add a comment
    07-29-09 10:02 AM
    I've never seen that problem with my friends tour?
    07-29-09 10:39 AM
    We just have a fundamental difference of opinion, however, tezgno's point of view leads me to wonder if he/she might actually be one of the Verizon testers. :-).
    I'm a he. And no, I'm not a Verizon tester, lol. I just know a lot about how they do things considering that my best friend (who now works for RIM) worked for Verizon for several years prior to that. As far as being a customer of Verizon, I'm newer to Verizon Wireless (for cell phones at least. I have had a mobile broadband card for a lot longer with them). I've used them for wireless about about 9 years ago before moving to Sprint, then AT&T. Now, I'm back to Verizon.
    07-29-09 11:59 AM
    NONE of these are associated with the OUTGOING call quality whatsoever...only what you hear.
    You're partially correct here. The Advanced Audio control is only supposed to work with what you hear (along with TTY). The Echo Control is supposed to adjust your headset and mic to compensate for echo or noise. In general, it's designed for people who use speaker-based bluetooth devices (car radios, external mic/speaker combos, etc) in which those devices can pickup echo or feedback from sound that goes back through the mic off of the speakers. It generally turns down the mic, speakers, or a combination thereof to compensate for echo. Generally, you do not have such problems with headsets as the microphone rarely picks up the sound that is projected into your ear from the unit. However, what I have been noticing (which lead to my testing) is that, for whatever reason, dual-mic headsets (headsets that have two active microphones which are designed to increase clarity, decrease noise, and decrease interference from wind) seem to be triggering the echo control to turn down the mic processing by an incredibly large factor. Turning this off seems to have fixed the issue for my headsets (by fixing, I mean that people can hear me on the other end without me having to yell at the top of my lungs). My single-mic headset seems to not have any issues with it on or off. This leads me to believe that the issue may be with the phone improperly detecting echo or noise and over compensating for it. I may be wrong, but it is appearing to be this way.
    07-29-09 12:10 PM
    Ok I tried these fixes and nothing still. People are still telling me I sound like I am in tunnel when I used my car's blue tooth. So I guess my next step is to swap the phone?
    07-29-09 03:15 PM
    I did a formal test today as some in another thread are talking about the handheld also muffling the sound. I recorded everything on my home's answerphone. My handheld volume is just right. My voice does sound a little muffled (like too much bass) but I speak clearly so this is not a problem. Then I put my headset on (a Jabra bluetooth) and my recorded voice does sound quite distant. It is still audible and you can understand my words (at least if you're not in a crowded room) but the volume is much lower. My car's bluetooth is slightly higher in volume but still somewhat distant. Of course I've got other hook up problems with my car but I think thats a BMW problem.

If I could just tweak the outgoing volume for bluetooth, then I don't have a problem.
    07-29-09 03:19 PM
    I just think its a PITA that my old school pearl worked fine but this won't. But as my cousin said thats what we get for purchasing something from the first batch I guess I'll take it into verizon and swap
    07-29-09 03:31 PM
    this is definately a software fix. ive had many customers tell me about this issue. im sure the next software build will have this repaired. there is no special pairing, or settings for bluetooth. tty will not do anything and echo control will not do anything. one thing interesting i saw someone write was whether or not if someone checked if your voice audio was going through your phone mic and NOT your car mic. ill try this in the morning.
    07-29-09 09:52 PM
    I just got my tour last saturday (7/25) and I have the original jawbone2 (which i've had for over a year now) and I have no problems whatsoever with people hearing me or me hearing them.
    07-30-09 12:13 AM
    A potential fix:

Phone (go to phone screen) -> Options -> General Options -> scroll down to Default Call Volume and change it to 100%, Enhance Headset Call audio: Boost Treble (both sections) -> save
    07-30-09 10:37 AM
    Does anyone have the older tour software, like 4.7.1.28?

I'd like to see if bluetooth is better on that.
    Last edited by IslesFan; 07-30-09 at 11:00 AM. Reason: bluetooth Q
    07-30-09 10:58 AM
    Those who feel as madmikey, that this is definitely a "software fix", keep your Tours past the 30 day return period and your fingers crossed.

Those who feel that there is even a remote chance that this might be a hardware problem (not software) that cannot be coded around, who would then find themselves screwed, with a defective device and a 2 year commitment to Verizon, consider returning your Tours before the end of the 30 days. You can always re-buy it again later.

I plan to buy another Tour, just not until they fix the problem.
    07-30-09 01:42 PM
    im about 7 days away from purchasing my first blackberry, and getting the tour...... but now im nervous.... is it worth it?
    07-30-09 06:56 PM
    Ok, so after talking with my friend again, RIM is apparently working to resolve the BT issue. It appears as though this is in fact a software related issue as they are not experiencing the problem. However, all of their testers are using Jawbone's and Voyager Pro's. When switching to other devices, the problem becomes noticeable.

One thing to note, I installed the Tour Hybrid OS from the beta forum and it has cleared up my BT issue that I have been having. People are now able to hear me clearly when I call them using all three of my headsets.
    07-30-09 07:15 PM
    Ok, so after talking with my friend again, RIM is apparently working to resolve the BT issue. It appears as though this is in fact a software related issue as they are not experiencing the problem. However, all of their testers are using Jawbone's and Voyager Pro's. When switching to other devices, the problem becomes noticeable.
    Appreciate you discussing the issue with your friend; be sure to mention that this discussion all started with car BT problems.
    07-30-09 10:56 PM
    One thing to note, I installed the Tour Hybrid OS from the beta forum and it has cleared up my BT issue that I have been having. People are now able to hear me clearly when I call them using all three of my headsets.
    LOL... Gotta love it. Have had my Tour for less than one day and now I'm going to hafta go beta on it.

BTW for all those keeping count:
    I'm on Sprint and the bluetooth issue is happening on a Plantronics Voyager 510 and a TrueBlue TB-20EL headset.
    07-30-09 11:09 PM
    Appreciate you discussing the issue with your friend; be sure to mention that this discussion all started with car BT problems.
    Yes, definitely point out the issue is also/started with cars. I don't use headsets, just the phone and/or my car.
    07-31-09 07:50 AM
    Found this thread by accident (searching for "Voyager Pro" info) but I do have a question that I hope isn't taken out of context.

If several of you have BB Tour models and are having this problem and are not willing to wait for a fix from RIM, what is the harm in reverting back to your previous model? I'm genuinely curious, not attempting to judge or ridicule anyone... just don't understand. Is it absolutely necessary that you have the latest technology, or is it just that you want the "best" available? I suspect its the latter (and that's OK) but I guess I just don't understand the need to upgrade to a buggy model if its predecessor was working fine.

Verizon (not that its their responsibility) certainly hasn't responded in a respectable fashion, I'll give you that. RIM appears to be working on a fix but I'm sure that will take time.

Again, just trying to understand why some are so quick to replace something working without complications for another with unproven potential. I'm not saying any of you deserve the problems you're having but certainly most are aware of how fickle electronics can be, especially when one goes with the latest model prior to any reported issues.

Thanks for your honest feedback and I appreciate you seeing my questions for their best intentions.
    07-31-09 08:21 AM
    Found this thread by accident (searching for "Voyager Pro" info) but I do have a question that I hope isn't taken out of context.

If several of you have BB Tour models and are having this problem and are not willing to wait for a fix from RIM, what is the harm in reverting back to your previous model? I'm genuinely curious, not attempting to judge or ridicule anyone... just don't understand. Is it absolutely necessary that you have the latest technology, or is it just that you want the "best" available? I suspect its the latter (and that's OK) but I guess I just don't understand the need to upgrade to a buggy model if its predecessor was working fine.
    I have reverted -- Tour's in a box on its way back to Verizon now, and I'm happily BTing on my Curve 8330. Hopefully they'll clear up the issue soon, or maybe I'll get lucky and Verizon will pick up the iPhone/Pre/Android in the next few months and I'll switch to one of those.
    07-31-09 09:10 AM
    I can't speak for everyone, but for me:

The Tour is my first phone coming back to Verizon from AT&T. To go back to my previous phone (Blackberry Bold) would mean that I cancel my service and go back to crappy service. For the most part, the Tour is a great phone. Great features, nice size and design, and world capabilities (which is needed for me as I'm a global traveler). The only issue that I have had with the phone is BT. To me, this isn't a deal breaker because I didn't buy the phone because it had BT. Rather, I bought the phone because it does everything I need for it to do and has a newer OS (I'm not a fan of the older 4.2/4.3/4.5 OS).

I've been an early adopter before so I'm well aware of issues that can come up with first batch devices (i.e. the loose battery doors, which btw was a manufacturing issue that has since been corrected, the loose keys, also a manufacturing issue that has since been corrected). This also isn't the first time that I have had a BlackBerry (or any phone for that matter) in which the OS that was shipped on it sucked terribly (my Bold was plagued with issues in the shipping OS for a couple of months before it was finally fixed by AT&T firmware. I fixed it using other official software. Likewise, when I bought my first RAZR, it had tons of problems and took months before it was resolved). So, I wasn't expecting the Tour to be a perfect phone. The problem that I see, however, is that many people do in fact expect the phones to be bug free. In a way, they are justified in that because for the amount of money that people pay for devices, they want everything to work perfectly. However, this simply isn't the case in today's world.

I'm perfectly fine with waiting on RIM to release a fix. I can guarantee that it will not take RIM long to fix it as it has become a big priority for them due to who and how it was reported. The lag, if any, would come on Verizon's part in getting the fix to the end-user. After using the beta hybrid OS found in another part of this forum, I can definitely say that the shipping OS on the Tour really sucks as the hybrid has increased my phone's performance by about 60-70%. It also resolved my BT issue. So, to me, I'm treating all of this like I did when I bought my Bold, my RAZR, and my 1st Gen iPhone... shipping releases SUCK. Fixes will surface and my phone will suck less. Give it a few months and it will be rock solid.
    07-31-09 09:20 AM
    There is a restocking fee and all the time and hassle of restoring settings etc.
    07-31-09 10:10 AM
    Fixes will surface and my phone will suck less. Give it a few months and it will be rock solid.
    Well, this is my first blackberry (first smartphone of any kind) and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. This bluetooth thing and synching to my car are the only 2 probs I'm having. I'm too green with all this to install the hybrid OS at this time. I'll research it a little more but probably just wait for the new OS. I think it's a great phone among other things.
    07-31-09 01:06 PM
    I have a toyota with built in bluetooth in the car. I get 2/3 bars of connection according to the car, yet people who talk to me say im not loud and i haven't been able to fix this.

Is this the same issue as other have with built in bluetooth?
    07-31-09 02:20 PM
552 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD