Putting it simply, if anyone living in a "no handheld phone while driving" state acquired the Tour "to use with BT while mobile" the fault described in this thread means the phone does not work and is not fit for purpose. Even without driving law constraints common sense and safety studies all say use handsfree. It doesn't matter whether the defect is hardware or software - it doesn't do what it says in the specification. The correct action is to reject within 30 days per the VZW agreement. Nothing else works - look at how VZW fooled Storm users into waiting past 30 for a software upgrade which was "coming soon". Soon turned out to be 6 months, it still didn't fix most of the defects but VZW had the users locked to contract and could happily wave with one finger as the monthly payments rolled in.
    Yep. I returned the Tour after two weeks of ownership: it was useless as a phone but is really pretty eye candy. I experienced the gamut of problems with two Tours, including the car bluetooth issue.

This is the best I heard from VZW's tech support: he wanted me to take my car back to the dealership to have the bluetooth fixed after I told him that five different cell phones had no problems with this car's bluetooth connection. After that frustrating experience, I promptly returned the phone.
    08-09-09 09:12 PM
    I'm new to Blackberrys and I'm not sure what a hybrid OS is ...
    If you're new to BB you don't want to mess with hybrids. In simple terms they are a composite operating system, usually hand made by a user patching together bits in a mix from several different software releases. In most cases they include parts of unreleased test software, and they have never had the level of testing an official release gets. Really best ignored until you know what you are doing, and not recommended for a phone used for business unless you have a reserve phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-09 09:23 PM
    As if we needed another data point...Picked up my Tour yesterday evening. Got it paired up in the car just fine this AM (MINI Cooper Clubman). Called the wife, who said I sounded "distant." Called a buddy this afternoon with the air on higher, who said I sounded muffled. I switched the auto echo control off, so we'll see how it goes. I'm a Mac user, so I don't know that it'll be easy to load a hybrid OS; besides, I've got plenty to do/learn. Come on, SW update!
    08-10-09 12:55 PM
    I just received my 4th replacement Tour and before I send back the old one, I was going to try to install the Hybrid on the one going back and see if it clears up the problem of a muffled sound with the blue tooth headset. BUT I do not really understand how to install it. If someone would help me install it (over the phone) I would be happy to paypal them some $$ in advance. I hope it is ok that I offered this. My PIN 30B462B3 I know everyone here just wants to be helpfull and not looking for compensation and I would return the favor if I had any knowlwdge to offer

Actually I did try to do something, but it didnt come out very well. I went to the verizon store,

1>recorded myself a voice mail
    2>paired my blue tooth with the floor model Tour and recored another voice mail
    3>paired my blue tooth with the floor model Curve (which I use to have)

I wanted to show Verizon the difference, but they didn't really care, they just offered me another phone. Since then, I tried to put the results on YOUTUBE but the quality is very hard to tell after all the transferring, but you can hear that the Curve is louder and actually picks up more background talking

YouTube - MikeSigety's Channel
    08-10-09 01:05 PM
    I just received my 4th replacement Tour and before I send back the old one, I was going to try to install the Hybrid on the one going back and see if it clears up the problem of a muffled sound with the blue tooth headset. BUT I do not really understand how to install it. If someone would help me install it (over the phone) I would be happy to paypal them some $$ in advance. I hope it is ok that I offered this. My PIN 30B462B3 I know everyone here just wants to be helpfull and not looking for compensation and I would return the favor if I had any knowlwdge to offer

Actually I did try to do something, but it didnt come out very well. I went to the verizon store,

1>recorded myself a voice mail
    2>paired my blue tooth with the floor model Tour and recored another voice mail
    3>paired my blue tooth with the floor model Curve (which I use to have)

I wanted to show Verizon the difference, but they didn't really care, they just offered me another phone. Since then, I tried to put the results on YOUTUBE but the quality is very hard to tell after all the transferring, but you can hear that the Curve is louder and actually picks up more background talking

YouTube - MikeSigety's Channel

You sound quieter on your Tours, but louder on Curve. Yet, when on the Curve, you pick up a bit of background noise. Lose lose...ugh
    08-10-09 10:10 PM
    You sound quieter on your Tours, but louder on Curve. Yet, when on the Curve, you pick up a bit of background noise. Lose lose...ugh
    True, but if you could hear all the details, you could hear a muffled voice and a clear voice. When ever I used a BT headset in a crowded place (like a verizon store) I always picked up background noise. Actually the main problem I have is the lack of clarity when I try to HEAR the person on the other end, how do you demonstrate that on you tube...
    08-10-09 10:17 PM
    I think a class action suit is needed for this bluetooth crap. I'm coming up on my 30 day term and I'm in love with the Tour except for the quality RIM has put out regarding the bluetooth quality. This is an issue that should not be penalized by Verizon's 30 day return.

I'm going to look into this matter a bit more and see what can be done. I live in a state that requires handsfree, not only that, by my company's policy is use of handsfree is a must or could result in termination.

I spent my money on a product that does not satisfy it's worth. Don't get me wrong, I think the Tour is a great phone, but the bluetooth is something left to be desired.
    08-11-09 12:06 AM
    I am on my second Tour and both have had the following problems:

BT sounds "distant" to down right "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" from my callers

Trackball does not work, flat out. I never thought I would say "my trackball can't turn right" but I do all of the time.

Callers sound muffled or tinny on my handset.

Delayed actions, almost like the phone is thinking.

I have had the Tour for 3 weeks -- this is enough time for me to sort out a phone. I am going back to my Curve. I not going to wait for a new OS (why can't RIM sort these issues out prior to release and put out a great product, the way the rest of us do on a daily basis??) As for Verizon, I don't feel sorry for them one bit -- you want exclusive marketing rights? WELL YOU GOT 'EM.
    08-11-09 02:02 AM
    I think a class action suit is needed for this bluetooth crap. I'm coming up on my 30 day term and I'm in love with the Tour except for the quality RIM has put out regarding the bluetooth quality. This is an issue that should not be penalized by Verizon's 30 day return.

I'm going to look into this matter a bit more and see what can be done. I live in a state that requires handsfree, not only that, by my company's policy is use of handsfree is a must or could result in termination.

I spent my money on a product that does not satisfy it's worth. Don't get me wrong, I think the Tour is a great phone, but the bluetooth is something left to be desired.
    Sounds about right. I've been in touch with VZW corporate a few times, first time was told they've never heard of it. The second time they told me they were looking into it, and sent a $29.99 Jabra bluetooth, cuz you know, some how its going to work better than the built in BT in my Lexus. Go figure, but this isht better get solved with a software up. They claim the trackball 'lag' is a software issue, so I'm hoping the BT, and muffled and tinny sound quality is too.

BS!
    08-11-09 06:47 AM
    My Tour is going back to VZW today. Although, the device is great otherwise, the bluetooth issue is a show stopper for me. Yes, I expect they'll fix this but when? Today, tomorrow, next week, 3 months, never??? I'll buy another one when they get all this sorted out. My 30 days are up on Thursday and I'm not going to roll the dice on their support. Back to the Storm for me.
    08-11-09 08:51 AM
    same problem in my ford explorer,,, had bb bold and curve both synced to this car with no problems.... just received my second tour and yup, same problem!!!!
    08-11-09 07:27 PM
    Toyota/Lexus Owners.

I have found access to a hidden diagnostic menu. Within the menu, there is a bluetooth submenu, it has outgoing voice volume. You can increase it from 0 (default) to 5, the highest option. I must say it has without a doubt helped with my situation. PM for details.
    08-11-09 09:12 PM
    Toyota/Lexus Owners.

I have found access to a hidden diagnostic menu. Within the menu, there is a bluetooth submenu, it has outgoing voice volume. You can increase it from 0 (default) to 5, the highest option. I must say it has without a doubt helped with my situation. PM for details.
    If anyone finds a similar menu for LG navigation systems, please post it.
    08-11-09 09:20 PM
    I plan on getting the Jawbone Prime in the next day or so. I am hoping that this issue is A) resolved B) isolated to the built-in vehicle systems. My BT audio failed miserable with some year-old Plantronics devices I had, but I am sure that was due to their batt. life depleting too fast. I know that pic transfer works great with my Macbook though.
    08-11-09 09:41 PM

Eh, who has the time to sue over this.

I was in a VZW store the other day and mentioned to a service tech there that my Tour sounds muffled, and asked him if VZW was going to do anything about it, like maybe update the OS or something. He said he didn't know, but then he said that I have a year to get the phone fixed for free under warranty if the problem persists. I hadn't thought about it that way. But I can imagine it wouldn't be easy to convince VZW that the muffled voice problem (or low volume BT) is serious enough to warrant the phone being replaced.

But I'm thinking this really is a software problem, not hardware. If my voice sounds very clear when taking a voice note, then the mike is OK, and my voice shouldn't sound muffled when calling. And if it's very clear but quiet over BT, then the BT connection is good, and there needs to be a boost incorporated into the BT path. The more I think about these 2 problems, the more I think that an OS update will fix them.

And, by the way, the moon really IS made out of green cheese.
    08-11-09 09:47 PM
    Eh, who has the time to sue over this.

I was in a VZW store the other day and mentioned to a service tech there that my Tour sounds muffled, and asked him if VZW was going to do anything about it, like maybe update the OS or something. He said he didn't know, but then he said that I have a year to get the phone fixed for free under warranty if the problem persists. I hadn't thought about it that way. But I can imagine it wouldn't be easy to convince VZW that the muffled voice problem (or low volume BT) is serious enough to warrant the phone being replaced.

But I'm thinking this really is a software problem, not hardware. If my voice sounds very clear when taking a voice note, then the mike is OK, and my voice shouldn't sound muffled when calling. And if it's very clear but quiet over BT, then the BT connection is good, and there needs to be a boost incorporated into the BT path. The more I think about these 2 problems, the more I think that an OS update will fix them.

And, by the way, the moon really IS made out of green cheese.

It could be more complicated, though that's a very well thought out post. What if the Radio chip is buggy? Or the Bluetooth chip? The Mic might be fine but it could still be hardware.....I think.

Also they should/may cover it under the 1 year warranty, but they would probably give you a refurb model as a replacement. Not a big deal, but if you just got your Tour......you wanted a new phone.
    08-11-09 11:12 PM

I think I first mentioned a class action in this thread. Maybe I was a little too quick. Look, I hate this issue. But the bottom line is, if you buy the phone and it doesn't work, return it!

MAYBE if it turns out to be a hardware issue (though it appears people are fixing this problem by running a Hybrid OS), and Verizon knows about it and never fixs or replace your phone despite your 1-year warranty guaranteeing that, a class action would be in order. I'm not a lawyer.
    08-11-09 11:15 PM
    Toyota/Lexus Owners.

Hi There,

Can you PM me the procedure to access the diagnostic menu in Toyota/Lexus Nav?

Also, I have been waiting for RIM to fix this issue before buying the tour. Would you say that increasing the volume on the hidden menu makes the BT work sufficiently?

Thanks very much.

Sorry for the public post but can't email or pm without 10 posts....grrr....
    08-11-09 11:46 PM
    Hi There,

Can you PM me the procedure to access the diagnostic menu in Toyota/Lexus Nav?

Also, I have been waiting for RIM to fix this issue before buying the tour. Would you say that increasing the volume on the hidden menu makes the BT work sufficiently?

Thanks very much.

Sorry for the public post but can't email or pm without 10 posts....grrr....
    No worries, will PM you back now. I personally think that the outgoing volume increase from the car bluetooth did help, it has improved it say 50% which is a lot better than any other solution I've found. It's doable until an OS update fixes the issues.
    08-12-09 09:13 AM
    Toyota/Lexus Owners.

Beau,
    Can you send it to me as well.
    thanks
    saw0224
    08-12-09 11:59 AM
    I returned the Tour yesterday and switched back to the Storm and all I can say is Wow. Remote parties tell me the sound went from awful to near landline quality. No more continuous, what, what what. I also noticed the sound quality on my end is also notably better. It is a real shame how RIM/VZW push these devices out without testing and "beta" test with the public. Good luck to those holding out for a fix. I'll revisit in 6 months or so when the device software is more mature.
    08-12-09 12:27 PM
    (First post)

I paired my new Tour with my 2008 BMW 535i last night and have had no complaints of call volume from the other end.

I'll do some further testing, but as of right now I have no complaints.

08-12-09 02:13 PM
    I've successfully paired two Tours with my Sentra and my Range...both found the phone immediately and had no issues. The first Tour I purchased direct from Sprint, and had no issues other than a loose battery door. The second Tour I received from Sprint as well, and did not have a loose battery door--however at times if I press lightly on any key, I see a screen ripple...only when pressing lightly though. This only happens randomly though, which I find to be extremely odd. The trackball on the replacement Tour was a bit jumpy at first, and had a completely different feel to it so it was obvious that the two were manufactured on opposite sides of the spectrum - I have no issues w/BT still...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-09 02:52 PM
    I have no problems in any of my Porsches or Ferraris. However, the sound quality is subpar in my Lamborghini Reventon. I love my Tour so much that I might just downgrade the Reventon for a Murcielago. I hear from my middle-class friends that the Tour's BT works fine in that Lambo model.
    08-12-09 03:44 PM
    ......LMAO.........

I suspect you have more problems than just BlueTooth sound quality...
    08-12-09 03:57 PM
552 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD