I now drop calls on my block and never droped a call with the Curve and on my end, the caller sounds so bad, I cant make out what they are saying many times on my Plantronics 320. Has anyone noticed more droped calls too? I am on my 3rd tour
    08-04-09 11:29 PM
    This discussion started with everyone's problems and has degraded to a pretend lawsuit -- I'm not sure if I missed something important in the middle, too much to read.

Here is my issue with my tour:

While using my bluetooth most, but not, complain that my voice is too low.
    Why would it happen with some calls and not all calls

I use Verizon
    I have a Pioneer D2
    I have tried the echo control deal, didn't work.

Is there a fix? Patch? Whatever?
    08-05-09 12:51 AM
    wow...ignorance about on this thread. have any of you complaining about bluetooth issues and the possibility of it being a hardware issue loaded the tour hybrid os found in the beta os forum?

everyone that i know, including myself, has said that this fixed the bluetooth issue. that would clearly mean it is a software issue. so if you don't want to load a beta...the next os update will likely fix the problem.
    08-05-09 07:23 AM
    how about the muffled / tunneled sound when speaking on phone without bluetooth
    08-05-09 07:28 AM
    wow...ignorance about on this thread. have any of you complaining about bluetooth issues and the possibility of it being a hardware issue loaded the tour hybrid os found in the beta os forum?

everyone that i know, including myself, has said that this fixed the bluetooth issue. that would clearly mean it is a software issue. so if you don't want to load a beta...the next os update will likely fix the problem.
    I'm all for the idea of loading the new hybrid OS, but I'm scared about what else it might change.

So, what else will loading the hybrid OS change...besides giving me better bluetooth clarity?
    Last edited by Rutland; 08-05-09 at 07:58 AM.
    08-05-09 07:39 AM
    The hybrid OS changes a lot. Basically, it's OS 5.0.0.140 with a few OS 4.7.1.40 files on them. The idea is to be able to make a working 5.0.0.140 that runs on the Tour. Since not all of the files are compatible (due to there not being a release of 5.0.0.140 for the Tour), the uncompatible files are replaced with original 4.7.1.40 files. The result is a phone that is partially OS 5 and partially OS 4.7.1. Many of the native applications look and behave differently. For the most part, your third-party applications will run just fine. The reason why I only run it on one of my two Tours is because the hybrid can (and has been) prone to having bugs, as with any beta OS. If you are not wanting to deal with this fact, it is better that you stick to the shipping OS and wait for a fix. If you are adventurous, only then would I recommend you use the OS. If you are not really familiar with how to perform non-official upgrades or how to wipe out your phone and restore it (should something happen), I wouldn't recommend that you attempt it.
    08-05-09 09:36 AM
    Thank you Tez. The bluetooth issue is present, but minor in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather have the rest of the phone working as opposed to just the BT working... I'm not talking on my phone enough to worry about it.

I appreciate the response though.
    08-05-09 10:15 AM
    I'm running the hybrid now and still are getting complaints about sounding like im in a tunnel so I'm guessing i'm having a hardware issue since no software seems to fix it
    08-05-09 04:49 PM
    Thank you Tez.
    +1. Given that I'll be running "naked" (meaning no easy backup or sync on the Mac), this is good advice.

When I spoke the VZW tech support they told me they could not open an internal ticket because it would be rejected because my car is not Verizon equipment.
    That's goofy. Factory BT systems are getting to be very common. If they're going to wash their hands of compatibility there, they're going to have unhappy customers.
    Last edited by crabbybahstid; 08-06-09 at 02:16 AM.
    08-06-09 02:08 AM
    I have the problem mentioned in thread, I tried all the "resolves" with no success. I worked with my verizon corp acct mgr who has a development tour and latest os, we sync'd up our settings and his tour hooked up and worked fine with my lexus 2007 is250 while mine did not. a new tour is on its way... not sure the new tour will work, will keep you posted
    08-06-09 09:45 AM
    I'm running the hybrid now and still are getting complaints about sounding like im in a tunnel so I'm guessing i'm having a hardware issue since no software seems to fix it
    It fixed my bluetooth car issue but I am also still getting the headset low volume problem even with the hybrid installed as you seem to have as well.
    08-06-09 11:13 AM
    On my Tour that is running the hybrid, it appears to be fine for me. On my stock OS tour, I'm using a Voyager Pro and it appears as though some calls have my volume sightly below normal (but much higher than my Motorola headset) and others have me extremely loud. Not sure what the deal is with that.
    08-06-09 11:18 AM

First of all, "ignorance" is in the eye of the poster. I believe the word is "abounds," you moron.

Next, the current 'beta' or 'hybrid' software DOES NOT FIX my issue.

Verizon won't talk (they're stupid). Third-party retailers (i.e. the "BlackBerry" store in Atlanta airport owned by Airport Wireless) have "never heard of the issue".

RIM won't talk to consumers.

So I don't know if my Canadian-made device has a defective chipset or not.

That's my problem.

Not ignorance.
    08-06-09 09:18 PM
    On my Tour that is running the hybrid, it appears to be fine for me. On my stock OS tour, I'm using a Voyager Pro and it appears as though some calls have my volume sightly below normal (but much higher than my Motorola headset) and others have me extremely loud. Not sure what the deal is with that.
    Does this also solve the problem of weak volume (to the called party) when just using the handset...not the BT? That was my biggest problem, though the BT issue was almost as bad for me.
    08-06-09 09:28 PM
    Tes, thank you for outlining that, it's not a big enough problem for me to attempt to swap the OS.

Like LarryMcj, curious if the Hybrid OS also solves (for most people anyway) the 'muffled' sound callers hear from us when using the phone by itself.
    08-06-09 10:34 PM
    From what I can tell, yes. My hybrid OS Tour sounds much clearer on the handset itself than my stock OS Tour. Not too sure if it is much louder or not. But, it is noticeably clearer.
    08-07-09 08:50 AM
    From what I can tell, yes. My hybrid OS Tour sounds much clearer on the handset itself than my stock OS Tour. Not too sure if it is much louder or not. But, it is noticeably clearer.
    sorry if I am beating a dead horse hear, but is sounds clearer to you on the phone you are using and or clearly to you on the blue tooth headset that you are using?

My biggest complaint is that I cant understand the person on the other end of the phone, they are tinny and muffled (liked talking and holding there nose) and I can not make out their different words... I am the one saying "What did you say"
    08-07-09 01:51 PM
    sorry if I am beating a dead horse hear, but is sounds clearer to you on the phone you are using and or clearly to you on the blue tooth headset that you are using?

My biggest complaint is that I cant understand the person on the other end of the phone, they are tinny and muffled (liked talking and holding there nose) and I can not make out their different words... I am the one saying "What did you say"
    It would really be helpful here if people (in general, not specifically focusing on you) would read the context of posts in relation to the discussion that is currently going on in the forum (not the title itself). In the post previous to mine, the question was asked as to whether or not the call quality that the end user gets when speaking through the handset, not BT headset, was clearer when using the hybrid OS.

My response (which is what you quoted) was that from what I can tell, the calls being placed on the phone that I have running the Hybrid OS sound clearer to the calling party when using the handset as opposed to how they sound on my stock OS Tour. I also specified that I was not sure as to whether or not the call is louder to the other party when using the handset on the hybrid Tour. But, it does sound noticeably clearer.

Now, with regards to your question, I have not had a problem understanding people on either of my Tour's using both the handset and a BT headset so I cannot comment on whether or not the hybrid OS makes anything clearer for me. For me, hearing others has always been OK. The issue has been with others hearing me.
    08-07-09 02:03 PM
    I just picked up a Jawbone PRIME today.

It's actually not bad (I listened to myself).

I am running the hybrid OS ("v4.1").

My Plantronics is still crap (useless for the other caller) and my cars are hit-or-miss.

My recent Cadillac rentals have all be OnStar-only so I haven't been able to test the hybrid w/ a GM car.
    08-07-09 09:49 PM
    Sure, there are bunch of us who read this forum. However, the number isn't significant enough to where we could potentially raise enough noise to Verizon or RIM such that someone would take notice. I do not know of any forum that has the magnitude such that when someone posts that we need to take our phones back, enough of us will. That's what I meant by he had a great idea, but his execution would likely not get enough people to do it. If I knew of a forum that could do that, I would have posted already (along with a bunch of other stuff that I had issues with when I primarily used the Blackberry Bold).
    I agree completely. Babbling on this or any forum, without actually following through and taking your Tours back to Verizon for either (1) as many replacements as it takes to get a good one, or (2) a refund, stands a snowballs chance in **** of anyone taking note. We can whine to ourselves all day long, but at the end of the day, the next OS release will only resolve what RIM has taken note of. I suggest that instead of the constant babbling on this, or any, forum, that you get in your cars tomorrow morning, get over to a Verizon store, and return your Tour in mass, until Verizon and RIM get the message.

I personally am in no hurry to re-purchase another Tour. I also have very little confidence that the next OS release is going to resolve this BT issue, assuming that its even a software issue to begin with.

Verizon and RIM are hoping that the majority of you wait until the 31st day, when its too late to return your devices and unwind your 2 year commitment. Don't make their day...

If you are not as lucky as I, having a previous Verizon model to fall back on, make them give you a loaner phone until they get the issue resolved.

Remember strength in numbers. No numbers = No strength.
    08-08-09 07:41 PM
    When I spoke the VZW tech support they told me they could not open an internal ticket because it would be rejected because my car is not Verizon equipment. They did tell me that they could have a supervisor report it to RIM and get back to me. They also said that the more reports of this that they receive and report to RIM, the more likely that it will get attention and be addressed promptly which only makes sense regardless.
    But if they won't open internal tickets, how will they know when they have received "more reports"? BT is supposed to be a universal wireless interface. Devices that adhere to appropriate BT protocol "should" all work equally. When they don't a very simple process of elimination easily rules out the innocent and rules in the guilty devices. Its not rocket science, unless they are just stonewalling you.
    08-08-09 07:51 PM
    Sigh... You again... Well, it works for both of my Tours just fine.
    Exactly... So if its a software problem, and we are all running the same version of software, why wouldn't it affect all of us equally, especially when we are using the same headsets?

If both of our Jawbones work on other phones, and only my Jawbone doesn't work on my Tour running the same software that is running on your phone, haven't we just proven that the phone platforms are not equal? If the software is the same, then wouldn't that point to the hardware? There is nothing else left. No?

BTW, just cause I post again, doesn't necessarily mean that you "have to" respond. You could just ignore my posts, as I do many of yours. As for your other comments about me responding to posts that were not directed "to me", which I was going to ignore until now, I was not aware that these posts were "private" posts, directly to specific individuals. I think you need to look up the definition of the term "forum". Below are a couple that I just looked up for you:

1. a medium in which the public may debate an issue or express opinions

2. an Internet discussion group for participants with common interests

Neither mention "private messaging" between sender and receiver...
    08-08-09 08:02 PM
    B
    When I spoke the VZW tech support they told me they could not open an internal ticket because it would be rejected because my car is not Verizon equipment.
    But if they won't open internal tickets, how will they know when they have received "more reports"? BT is supposed to be a universal wireless interface. Devices that adhere to appropriate BT protocol "should" all work equally. When they don't a very simple process of elimination easily rules out the innocent and rules in the guilty devices. Its not rocket science, unless they are just stonewalling you.
    [taking moderator hat off and posting as a member]

For the C++ programmers...
    #define excuse "untrue reason"

The VZW excuse is exactly that, an untrue reason not to raise the ticket. Tour is a Verizon-supplied device, and that is the equipment complained about. The defect is "inadequate audio with multiple/all Bluetooth devices". The reports of success on other phones, and failure with many different BT devices are adequate evidence that the fault is in the phone.

Putting it simply, if anyone living in a "no handheld phone while driving" state acquired the Tour "to use with BT while mobile" the fault described in this thread means the phone does not work and is not fit for purpose. Even without driving law constraints common sense and safety studies all say use handsfree. It doesn't matter whether the defect is hardware or software - it doesn't do what it says in the specification. The correct action is to reject within 30 days per the VZW agreement. Nothing else works - look at how VZW fooled Storm users into waiting past 30 for a software upgrade which was "coming soon". Soon turned out to be 6 months, it still didn't fix most of the defects but VZW had the users locked to contract and could happily wave with one finger as the monthly payments rolled in.
    08-09-09 10:21 AM
    Excellent post, Branta.
    08-09-09 11:46 AM
    I'm new to Blackberrys and I'm not sure what a hybrid OS is ...
    08-09-09 09:02 PM
552 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD